BROWNS BAY CHUM DERBY 2009

I oficially have a birth as of tomorrow Probably put the boat in tomorrow and proceed to locate a chum.. a little pre-derby scouting if you will..

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Does each person need to buy a ticket that is in one boat? Even if they are not fishing. I was told today that they did. That just does not seem right. I have a friend comming to fish with me that weekend and they do not want to be apart of the derby. What do I do if I want to though. And NO I am not leaving this person behind.

Must add had a great day fishing there today. Lot's of chum and coho to be caught. Got two hatchery coho and two chum. Got to like it.

hey fishass- dont stress, it's a pretty cagz sort of deal. no noize no foul...

so do I fish with you copper? Degree?

I phukin' hate being in Calgary so much already...

Just maybey...

None of you could handle the Osama...

Gimee the gaff!!!

haha osama bin hammered... Calgs does suck a mean one i couldnt go back this year. Have fun in the snow

We are going up next weekend on saturday as we cant make it on the derb. Anyone else going to be up there?

quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

hey fishass- dont stress, it's a pretty cagz sort of deal. no noize no foul...

so do I fish with you copper? Degree?

I phukin' hate being in Calgary so much already...

Just maybey...

None of you could handle the Osama...

Gimee the gaff!!!

There's room on my boat...there's probably 10 others that would have you as well...nothing like a good challenge[:p] I've got a couple guys joining me that'll give you a run for your money!

I got room 4 you on my boat too Jeff, even though we've never actually met, Im sure we'd have a blast.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Just thought I'd throw everyone a bone, as of right now the Chum are here.
Last couple of days several boats have taken home limits. Good fishing for most out there.
Pink and Purple, Pink and Blue, Pink and Black, Pink and Glow or just plain old Pink hootchies/squirts are all doing great. Don't forget the spin & glow and TROLL SLOW!
Took my brother out today for 3 hours and we brought home 6 and long line released at least that many while trying to avoid all the other boats.
The usual spots all seem to be producing, Greensea, Sephead, Plumper...
Enjoy!

Fishing was great today. Lot's of coho as well. Giving it a go tomorrow as well even tho the seiners will be out in full force.

Was out at browns bay Saturday, definetly fish around but we did not have the greatest luck, How deep are you fishing and how long of leader on the squirts?? We had our lines set at 40 and 65, with about 3 foot leaders. Tried the super slow troll...Any help would be appreciated as I am going in the am.

Jeff

We have 4 on the boat, but we could squeeze you on, you're just a little guy.

Copper 2's brother is coming this year for the first time.

We'll stick him in the cuddy and he can serve us beer.

I don't think you'd be stranded on shore.

Cheers

Well, awesome day at browns bay. 1 hatchery coho, and limit of chums, 3 double headers and lots of live releases . Been a couple years since I had fun with chums like that

quote:Originally posted by salmonkiller01

Well, awesome day at browns bay. 1 hatchery coho, and limit of chums, 3 double headers and lots of live releases . Been a couple years since I had fun with chums like that

I hope the fishing continues to be that good for the weeks to come!

Reel Chaos

Everyone needs to be aware of a sein boat Western Ranger. He is running right thru the sport fisherman like we are pilons. Any way that any one knows to report him is appreciated.

It is a large aluminium seiner. I personaly have fingered him and shown he my bare A$$. The captain is a freak and should be written up. Wondering if calling traffic is the way to do it. I know I am not the only person to deal with this boat. He is always in Deep Bay.

Another pre derby test fish at Brown’s Bay on Tuesday. No chum for me but there was a few boats that caught some. Did hit some Coho that were wild and used the gaff to let them go gently beside the boat. My fishing partner and I were talking about pulling the pin, as some weather was coming down the straight, when the port rod stood up to attention. Yep, it was a pin popper. My fishing partner jumped from his seat and grabbed the rod in a flash. The fish started talking line and sounding. Must be a Chinook. Time to clear the decks. I scrambled to put all the lines away and bring up the downriggers while my fishing partner played the fish. The current was changing and the wind kicked up and we were in white cap water. After what seemed like an hour but was only a few minutes the fish came to the side of the boat. Out came the net but the fish was just a little to far for me to scoop. She was large. My first attempt fell plenty short and the fish went on another run. The line on the reel was leaving faster then a sprinter in a 100-yard dash. My fishing partner was looking a little worried that he might run out of line when the fish turned around to swim back to the boat. After some crazy high speed reeling the fish was but a few yards away from the boat. With net in hand I was ready for another attempt to put this fish on board. The fish had other ideas because as I stretched out over the side the fish saw it coming and went on another blazing run. With the reel screaming and my fishing partner panicking it was quite the sight to see. I managed to get the boat turned around and started to run down the fish. My buddy was now gaining ground and the fish was getting spent. The fish was to the boat and the net was under him. Up she comes and in the boat. A love tap and a high five and we were done. We made our way back to the dock and put her on the scale. 25 pounds of beautiful spring salmon. We had no camera with us so I cleaned the fish and put it in the Styrofoam cooler next to the boat. We had our backs turned for just a few minutes when a seal came between the boat and the dock and stole our prize out of the cooler. Warning don’t try this at the chum derby as it could cost you first prize. GLG

Another pre derby test fish at Brown’s Bay on Tuesday. No chum for me but there was a few boats that caught some. Did hit some Coho that were wild and used the gaff to let them go gently beside the boat. My fishing partner and I were talking about pulling the pin, as some weather was coming down the straight, when the port rod stood up to attention. Yep, it was a pin popper. My fishing partner jumped from his seat and grabbed the rod in a flash. The fish started talking line and sounding. Must be a Chinook. Time to clear the decks. I scrambled to put all the lines away and bring up the downriggers while my fishing partner played the fish. The current was changing and the wind kicked up and we were in white cap water. After what seemed like an hour but was only a few minutes the fish came to the side of the boat. Out came the net but the fish was just a little to far for me to scoop. She was large. My first attempt fell plenty short and the fish went on another run. The line on the reel was leaving faster then a sprinter in a 100-yard dash. My fishing partner was looking a little worried that he might run out of line when the fish turned around to swim back to the boat. After some crazy high speed reeling the fish was but a few yards away from the boat. With net in hand I was ready for another attempt to put this fish on board. The fish had other ideas because as I stretched out over the side the fish saw it coming and went on another blazing run. With the reel screaming and my fishing partner panicking it was quite the sight to see. I managed to get the boat turned around and started to run down the fish. My buddy was now gaining ground and the fish was getting spent. The fish was to the boat and the net was under him. Up she comes and in the boat. A love tap and a high five and we were done. We made our way back to the dock and put her on the scale. 25 pounds of beautiful spring salmon. We had no camera with us so I cleaned the fish and put it in the Styrofoam cooler next to the boat. We had our backs turned for just a few minutes when a seal came between the boat and the dock and stole our prize out of the cooler. Warning don’t try this at the chum derby as it could cost you first prize. GLG

Back