Brining Herring

P

Pajan

Somewhere I saw a recipe for brining Herring but can't find it now. Can someone PLEASE post the prescription?
Thank you very much

Go to the "salmon university" website, it will show you all you need to know! Just search it on yahoo.

Look to the top right side and find "search" look for brining and all other talks on that there , you will find lots of info.

AL

For me, this seems to work quite well

Step 1: Keep dissolving salt in your given amount of water untill no more dissolved.

Step 2: Add enough salt so you get a thin layer on the bottom of your container to dissolve in the water that comes out of your bait.

Step 3 (Optional): Add some Mrs. Stewart's bluing from Safeway, just a drop or two. Seems to make them stay brighter. Add your chovies, and let them soak overnight. In the morning, they will be quite firm

How do you stop a dry brine from burning your herring?
Choves are a bit more forgiving that way.
Mind you not all frozen bait is created equal.

I experimented by mixing about 6 cups of pickling salt, 3 tablespoons of powdered milk and a couple of squirts of Mrs Stewart's and no water in a big ziplock. Shake up the bag, throw in the bait. Less mess and the older baits didn't blow out. As I added new bait, I lost track of which ones were older but it all seemed to catch fish on the 3 day trip. Kind of like a blue roe mix.

quote:Originally posted by Pajan

Somewhere I saw a recipe for brining Herring but can't find it now. Can someone PLEASE post the prescription?
Thank you very much

I use a variation of the Salmon University recipe - without the powdered milk - if only for the reason I refuse to spend 10 bucks on a bag of powdered milk that would last me for a dozen life times.

Before I go to bed, the night before a trip, I pull my bait out of the freezer, remove the plastic wrap and cover them in rock salt. I leave them on top of the freezer (in an unheated basement room). Before I leave for the boat, I dump them into my lunchbox size cooler along with my heavy brine solution and pour in the salt they were covered in. I've been able to keep bait for 3 or 4 days by returning it to the freezer each night. The 'chovies freeze, but the water stays nicely un-frozen.

This works well for me - even on days when I forget to bring the cooler home and it stays on the back deck of the boat. [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

LC - you really mess with a wet brine with the amount of bait you must go through in the summer?

I just fire half a dozen flats of the sizes I use in a one gallon cooler full of brine, and call it good. No worry about breaking tails tossing them around in salt (It's important to me). I bring it up to the fridge at the end of the day and just put the whole works in. In the morning, I bring it down to the boat, it mainly started as a way to keep the bait organized, and not have bait flats making a mess of the boat. It will go a few weeks without smelling bad.

I'd always get someone stepping on a pack as I was rigging something up, or I'd plant a hand on a flat with my usual grace while moving around, and ruin a pack.

Besides, after a day or two in the brine, blowouts are NOT a problem and keeping them chilled seems to prolong the usable life of what I have:D

I don't bother brining Halibut herring, and I don't really think it does a lot of good for a bait that, in my opinion, really counts a lot on smell.

why bother with bait at all?

at Island outfitters yesterday I saw some new product that goes in the teaser head. It looks EXACTLY like a real anchovie. I even thought it was real. it's plastic and it even comes with a wire in it to bend it :)

all u do is put scent on it...

quote:Originally posted by rockfish99

why bother with bait at all?

at Island outfitters yesterday I saw some new product that goes in the teaser head. It looks EXACTLY like a real anchovie. I even thought it was real. it's plastic and it even comes with a wire in it to bend it :)

all u do is put scent on it...

Great for feeders, but the adult fish are very choosy. Bait buster, baitrix, and a million other rubber baits have been outfished again and again by naturals. Once a fish is migrating, and en route to the spawning grounds, they get very choosy.

Back