Breaking strength of those blue Scotty snubbers

Clint r

I got a couple of them In my Christmas stocking and wonder if anybody knows how much weight they’ll take before they bust? I’m leery about hanging 15lb balls off them.

I got a couple of them In my Christmas stocking and wonder if anybody knows how much weight they’ll take before they bust? I’m leery about hanging 15lb balls off them.
I run 15's on mine clint work just fine maybe if they get scorched in the sun long term and the rubber breaks down and cracks but overall seem decent for me? other option would be the tuna cord way

I run 15's on mine clint work just fine maybe if they get scorched in the sun long term and the rubber breaks down and cracks but overall seem decent for me? other option would be the tuna cord way
Thanks Blazer. I’m leaning towards tuna cord for sure. Wife bought the snubbers though so would feel bad if i don’t use them for at least one season.

Your heavy balls won’t break one unless they’re brittle. The logic of using the snubber if I recall correctly was for the snubber to break if you hung a ball up on a reef. As opposed to pulling off your DR and gunnel. Seems like a good thing they break.

Oh yeah I get that. Just seems to me that piece of plastic could let go anytime. Not just if or when I did get hung up.

I stopped using them a couple years ago. I must have broken 5/6 of them before I learnt my lesson. Now I use paracord to a 3 way swivel cannon ball to one side of swivel and release clip to the other. I will never go back.

They probably busted because I drag the bottom so much but that's how I fish in the winter and also alot in the summer.

I have wondered the same thing but have never seen one break. I have seen ones that have been bottom hung with a tight set drag on the rigger that are stretched right out so that they would have little snubbing function left in them. Once they are stretched out or the metal hardware (usually the attachment clip) on them is bent up from being run through or jammed on the rigger pulley, it is time to replace them. The ones from Scotty are about the smallest diameter ones you will find, and I have still not seen one break. If you want more reassurance, Trotac has sold snubbers that come in larger diameters and are much stronger. Don't go so large that they are too strong to provide much snubbing function on the little rigger balls that sports guys use. Basically they are shock absorbers, that take the stress off rigger braid/cable, terminal gear and attachment points.

Last edited:
I only use them fishing close to shore in rocky bottom. I'm happy to break them off before tearing off my rails and rail mounted riggers. I lost two last year. Sometimes the fish are tight and other times the chart doesn't match reality. Then there are the times I just troll right up on a kelp bed because I'm dumb.

It’s time the king of losing cannonballs chimes in…

the snubbers are fine. I use 15’s too.
I’ve gone with them and I’ve gone without.
They give you a little shock absorber if you snag bottom that you may get to keep your ball and keep fishing. We all know fishing isn’t a cheap activity so worst case scenario you hit a snag that takes the ball and the snubber you lost an extra $15.

Plus you look grateful for the fishing related gift and next year she buys you a 31’ persuit for your birthday.

Your heavy balls won’t break one unless they’re brittle. The logic of using the snubber if I recall correctly was for the snubber to break if you hung a ball up on a reef. As opposed to pulling off your DR and gunnel. Seems like a good thing they break.
The 20s will stretch a bran new snubber almost double the length in one day out not a chance I like to take.

keep in mind things do weight much less under water.

My tiny little wife can easily lift this giant chunk of man meat when I’m under water and she can’t come close to opening a jar of pasta sauce in the kitchen.

The snubbers are a bit inconsistent especially with age. I have had a few break over the years however once while fishing off the Coulsons mill site in Port Alberni we must have got caught on a underwater cable . Long story short it kept tripping the downrigger breaker however eventually we got the weight back. Without exaggerating the blue snubber was about 3' long we couldn't believe it. Retired that one....

lead is $0.75 per lb (USD) where I live. Buy a mold and you can make your own 15# balls for $11.25, which is about the cost of a scotty snubber. I've ditched the snubber AND tuna cord and reduced the cost of a setup (ball, coastal lock, thimble, clip) to ~$17 OTD. Being Stizzla'd is not so painful anymore.

Back