Braided Mainline Recommendations

LastTurn

Looking to switching from Ultra Green mono to braided line on my MR3's. What is a good line strenght and brand to consider? Any recommendations?
Ali Express and EBay have some good pricing, suspect on the quality.
I did some searching on this forum but was only able to locate very old posts and the braided brands referenced didn't seem to be around on AiExpress or Ebay.

I actually mono as my backer then 60lb Power pro. I also add a 30ld Seagar fluorocarbon topshot of about 30 yards. The topshot allows me to use the Scotty clips as the braid is too thin for the clips to hold at depth. I have 3 MR3 reels set that way and have never had any issues. You'll love the braid for deep ocean fishing and also the feedback it gives you when fighting the fish.

The stuff on Allexpress is Chinese made and sold direct. May be OK or it may be crap you never know. You usually get what you pay for. That being said I know some guys that got OK "no name" braid from Amazon or Alli but most said never again. Suffix is decent braid also. I would go solid core for the braid for salmon fishing what ever brand you choose.

I also prefer Power Pro 60lbs. I have never used the tops shot system I just go braid to the clip with no real issues. Fishing deep as well. Sometimes I modify my clips to make them clamp better

I've been using Amazon.ca generic braid for my downrigger lines, my halibut mainline, salmon line in some cases and jigging line. Haven't had any problem with them and were much cheaper then brand named stuff. For instance I was able to spool 3 downriggers with 400ft of 250lb braid for $35 bucks. Been running the stuff for 2 1/2 years and no problems.

The no name brand stuff works fine. I use 250 or 200lb for downrigger line, 80lb - 65lb for jigging and halibut. I buy 300 yards for downriggers and 50 to 100 yard spools for my fishing rods.

Look up some of my other post to see the hali and other fish I have brought in. Never had a line failure fishing with it. My friends have even switched to it after seeing mine and it works great. Not sure what problems others have had but i've been happy with it.

Last edited:
Hands down the best is 50 pound Suffix 832. Been guiding using that now for almost a decade. Use floro top shot so you can attach to the scotty clip - stuff lasts for at least 3 guiding seasons. Bullet proof because its also perfectly round, so doesn't typically loop under itself like other braids.

Powerpro superslick 50 lb in Blue for me w/ 30 lb Maxima top shot. It makes an awesome sound ripping through the guides when you have a nice fish on.

been running china braid for years give you a heads up it works
500m for 50lb $15 to your door
1500m of 200lb for the riggers to the door $120

nuff said only issue is the 4- 6 week wait time ......

Anybody could help me out?
I just got some “power pro , no matter what” 40 pound braid from Amazon and I am not sure what should I do.
Before I decided what line to buy I did some research and all the Line had bad reviews so let’s get the brand name one.
So straight out of the box I did some testing and I placed 2-15 pound led and snapped.
I think it should hold 30 pounds without any trouble.
So the questio is , send it back or it is normal.
thanks for all the input.

Anybody could help me out?
I just got some “power pro , no matter what” 40 pound braid from Amazon and I am not sure what should I do.
Before I decided what line to buy I did some research and all the Line had bad reviews so let’s get the brand name one.
So straight out of the box I did some testing and I placed 2-15 pound led and snapped.
I think it should hold 30 pounds without any trouble.
So the questio is , send it back or it is normal.
thanks for all the input.
bad batch, i would send it back. try some Suffix 832 braid, been running that for many guiding seasons now. Fishing 90 - 100+ days each season and have been able to get multiple seasons use with no issues. You will need to attach a 40 foot section of top shot to attach your scotty clip successfully - braid tends to cut into the rubber scotty clips if you get into big fish that pull hard.

bad batch, i would send it back. try some Suffix 832 braid, been running that for many guiding seasons now. Fishing 90 - 100+ days each season and have been able to get multiple seasons use with no issues. You will need to attach a 40 foot section of top shot to attach your scotty clip successfully - braid tends to cut into the rubber scotty clips if you get into big fish that pull hard.
Thank you , I am a bit disappointed with Amazon, I think this is an aftermarket/ scam.
did you ever test your line ?

I've been running 80lb J-Braid for a couple of seasons now and very happy with it. Color does transfer a bit but never had it break and it stacks nicely on the reel

Last edited:
Hands down the best is 50 pound Suffix 832. Been guiding using that now for almost a decade. Use floro top shot so you can attach to the scotty clip - stuff lasts for at least 3 guiding seasons. Bullet proof because its also perfectly round, so doesn't typically loop under itself like other braids.
That’s what I use (30 pound) when I decide to cast from shore. Makes you look like a Marvel Superhero

Back