braid troubles

staying alive

went for my yearly trip to Nootka was great as usual except for one thing , when I was packing my rods for the trip the spiderwire 80 lb (overkill I know) broke 3' from end thought I must on nicked it or something so peeled off a few feet and retied.
2nd day at dusk got a screamer on at Camel rock ,the Peetz reel was making that awesome sound I think it scared my buddy it was so loud, the line was straight out 150 yds this fish gave a little tug and poof the line parted 75 yds out , I was more than a little upset.
Didn't bring any extra line so went the rest of trip with a short spool, it was ok catching 15 lbers.
Then when packing up to go the same thing happened the line broke again 3' from end , brand new rob clean eyelets, needless to say I am done with spiderwire .
Ordered a big roll of 30 lb Berkley big game from PNT and am switching all my reels back

Pouting in Langley

sounds like maybe a rough spot on one of the rod eyes, either that or the line is jusrt defective. With 80lb test you'd think a salmon's face would rip off before snapping.

sounds like maybe a rough spot on one of the rod eyes, either that or the line is jusrt defective. With 80lb test you'd think a salmon's face would rip off before snapping.
I gotta agree, look at your guides carefully, sounds like you have a cracked or chipped one.
#80 shouldnt part ways that easy? Try tying some off to a hand held fishing scale to see where it brakes

Braid is extremely sensitive to any slightly rough, scoured, or even non-slip surface (e.g plastic). Happens with downrigger braid too.
Basically braid abrades. Ironic I know, but that is what it does

Stick with the old-school. I just pounded a huge pile of big springs, major screaming runs, charging into kelp beds, charging through a fleet of guys all using downriggers and refusing to pull them up for a guy with a fish....basically, fighting fish every which way but loose---never broke off a fish, neither main line nor leader, only lost fish when they spat the hook. My secret? 25 lb Maxima monofilament line going on its third season.

In my humble opinion, braid belongs on a Scotty DR and that's it.

I love braided line for jigging and casting, been using it for 5 years and no big complaints, I've tried several brands and some are better than others in terms of breaks or knot slippage. I like the power pro stuff though, I just cut off the last 6or 8 feet when it starts to look frayed. For jigging it's way better, no stretch, way less drag and you lose very few lures as you can often pull them off bottom because the hooks will bend or break first. That said I use mono on my trolling rods if only because it's cheaper and I don't need low drag no stretch lines for trolling.

Just went back to 50lb.Tuffline XP on my jigging rods.

I had this braid I bought ( wish I still had the package so I could tell you what it was)......it was braid with a sort of coating on it. (green)

Got one trip out of it and the outer coating all peeled off exposing the white thread underneath. Serious weak spots.

Englishman:- you could be right about (sidetrack on this thread) about the braid blowback being excessive.

Talking to a guy at Harb Chan and he said the Power Pro braid had 30% less drag than Scotty. The Scotty braid picks up all kinds of snot, algae, and what not and it gets right into the braid creating more drag. Wiping off thier braid with a rag doesn't help it at all.

Myth?

No....because Scotty is coming out with a new braid soon to counteract this problem.

I'm not a huge fan of Tuffline XP....but it's better than the coated stuff I was just using (it wasn't Power Pro).

Braid for jigging lings and bass fishing maybe.

Really don't like it for trolling for salmon.
Mono stretch is good for salmon, just like flex in a rod is.
Can't stand the sound and feel of the braid when a fish is running.

Tips

good idea SR SQ will hook it up to the rafters and add cannonballs till it break, still going back to mono but will do the experiment anyway for my own curiosity

25 pound Maxima is all I have ever used for mainline. Over 35 springs over 40 pounds and one over 50 pounds. These landed mainly by non-skilled customers while guiding. I'll stay old school, it works. Just like incandescent light bulbs.

Back