Braid # for spinning reel set up

Matsutake

Hey guys, bringing the lady out to Bamfield this summer, first time West coast experience for her. She's familiar with basic spinning gear for bass and walleye so I thought I'd set up a large capacity spinning rig for her to use early on. Question is...what pound test to use and should I use a mono top shot/leader?
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

50 lb braid is plenty if you're jigging or casting for salmon. It should also be fine for shallower bottom fish. Not enough for hali jigging but for everything else you're good to go.

Go with the Powerpro Depthhunter in 20# to 30# for jigging salmon. The line changes color every 25 feet, which is helpful for getting lures into the strikezone when you see fish on the sounder. That line weight will handle anything(with drag set correctly) and not drift much. I use a barrel swivel with a 4-5 foot topshot of 50# fluorocarbon. Lots of others prefer to tie a knot inline. Good luck!

EDIT: Read this thread if you are going to try jigging for salmon: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/high-tech-jigging.66606/

Back