bow fishing

hey, im thinking of buying a bow to try and do some bowfishing, i just want to know if its legal here in bc and if anyone has done before. i cant seem to find anything in the regulations about it. i would be targeting carp at elk lake. thanks

spear fish
... means to fish with a spear or
an arrow that is propelled by a spring, an
elastic band, compressed air, a bow or by
hand. Only non-game fish (such as carp)
may be speared, except burbot which may
also be speared in Regions 3, 5, 6, 7 and
8. No spear fishing of any other game fish
(as defined on page 96), pacific salmon or
protected species (page 10) is permitted
anywhere in B.C. No spear fishing of any
kind is permitted in Region 1(Vancouver Island).

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_provincial.pdf

^^^

Naw...catch em on bait, best fresh water fish we got by far without spending thousands on "gear" and driving halfway up Vancouver Island.
Catch, release, rinse repeat, it's a blast.

hey, im thinking of buying a bow to try and do some bowfishing, i just want to know if its legal here in bc and if anyone has done before. i cant seem to find anything in the regulations about it. i would be targeting carp at elk lake. thanks

Cmon up to the Okanagan, we are the spear and bow hunting capital for carp!

Naw...catch em on bait, best fresh water fish we got by far without spending thousands on "gear" and driving halfway up Vancouver Island.
Catch, release, rinse repeat, it's a blast.

kill all those Carp, if you release them your just as bad as the idiots than put them in there. You should get ticketed for spreading invasive species.

You should get ticketed for spreading invasive species.

I fail to see how Dan is spreading an invasive species by catching and releasing carp back into the very lake he just caught it from. Maybe if he put it in a cooler full of water and tossed into another lake that did not already have them in it? Catch and release fishing is catch and release fishing. Do you think killing 10 carp in a day is going to dent a population of over half a million fish that breed faster than rabbits? They will have to kill off the lake completely including all of the native species if they ever want to totally get rid of them.

kill all those Carp, if you release them your just as bad as the idiots than put them in there. You should get ticketed for spreading invasive species.

Carp are not predatory on native species, although they will eat fish eggs. They have been in many OK lakes since 1917.

Sports fishing isn't going to put a dent in their population. Dead carp floating around a popular lake all summer isn't going to be a win for the fishing community that is in a constant struggle with other users (ie. UVic rowing) . . . . unless we can dump the corpses in your front yard.

Sports fishing isn't going to put a dent in their population. Dead carp floating around a popular lake all summer isn't going to be a win for the fishing community that is in a constant struggle with other users (ie. UVic rowing) . . . . unless we can dump the corpses in your front yard.

True enough but, any dead Carp is a good one. Even better as compost lol....

True enough but, any dead Carp is a good one. Even better as compost lol....

I disagree, although I'll admit I took a course from the elitist douches on what fish should be culled and made a fool of myself not too long ago. I've learned from others in the fishing community(as well as done my own research) that Elk lake in particular is not a natural system and all this hubbub about invasive species was really a marketing ploy/brainwashing by people who don't even fish still lakes. All the fish in there are put there by people and all the natural fish have been long gone, thanks to people... If you don't know or want to research what Elk lake was/looked like 100 years ago you're in for a shock ! All of the fish species in Elk lake were introduced, bass, perch, catfish, stocked trout and yes carp...I have yet to see or hear of anyone going on a killing spree of smallmouth/largemouth bass...does that even make any sense ? no.....BUT they are invasive ! Bass are a predator fish many times worse than carp or even trout ! Speaking of trout...pellet fed, farmed trout that are dumped out of a truck are acceptable but other fish arent ?
Carp are also arguably the most popular sport fish in the world ! Now I'm NOT saying they should be spread into any other system but since we have them why not enjoy them, have you ever tried fishing for them ? 10 times the fight of any bass or trout in that lake on any given day, besides where else can you catch a 15/20 pound fish in a lake on southern Van. Island. (um, take a kid fishing !)

There is NO regulation or requirement saying you have to kill ANY fish you catch, but there is a regulation regarding wasting fish so if anyone has thoughts about killing/culling carp or any other fish then you are indeed undertaking an unlawful act, eat them or release them - that is the law.

We are soooooo worried about what the fish are doing but does anyone give a thought to what we as humans are doing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
would be fun if u( accidently) hit a seal that just stole your salmon and u were in a kayak...
a fun new sport...they make great vests..

i bow fished when i bought my PSE. used muzzy heads on cheap fiberglass rods. used to fish pitt polder, hatzic lake, fraser river, tried in okanagan lake and the channel. great fun. we would sight fish by watching them either fin or surface slurping. on one slough the water was to dark so we stretched a white plastic sheet across the bottom. on okanagan lake i would use a pole with a coleman lantern off the bow, wrapped in tin foil and fish dusk to dark. doesn't cost much until you start breaking off.make sure you lay the line out over your elbow on your non draw arm, this will prevent the line from wrapping around something and breaking off. all the fish went to shore to be given away to asians or left in the grass for coyotes

Back