Bobbin thingies on Downrigger Cable

I'm running 60" scotties and normally swing them back when we get fish on to allow more room for netting,etc. Trouble is when they are fully extended with 15lb balls, they are hard to swing especially for the Queen. I have seen some boats with the Scotty gizmos (bobbins) on their cables and seen them in the store, but don't want to invest and mount them without some assurance they work well. Anyone using them and how much do they help for hooking up the clips and getting the ball out of the water?
Would appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

They work really well for putting a line in a downrigger clip. You just pull your downrigger cable toward the boat with the cable retriever cord with enough cable out to leave the ball in the water at all times, then lock the pulling cord in the line "pinch" provided. Now you can reach your downrigger clip without almost falling over board. When you've got your mainline in the clip, release the retriever cord from the pinch and slowly let the cable back out to the end of the downrigger arm.

Getting a 15-pound ball in or out of the water is another matter. If you have fairly low freeboard and can reach the cannonball in the water then the cable retriever will work to get the ball close enough to the boat. If you have high gunwales and can't reach the water, the cable retriever should not be used to actually lift the ball out of the water as the "float" which pulls the cable close is only made of polyethylene...better to use the swivel base....but you'll be bringing in cannonballs a lot less than changing lures, checking baits etc.

Want to save some money? Make your own cable retrievers from parts that you can find in any marine supply store....they're pretty low-tech.

I have used them for three years. They are great. You can keep the ball in the water and still be able to attach your clip.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll have to get me some. Even it they don't help too much getting the balls out of the way of the net, thats okay. I spend more time hooking up clips than netting anyway.

now that is a great idea Tailspin! I've just had the string tied to one of the rigger plate screws and never thought of that. guess i know what I am going to try tomorrow night...

Back