Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

You had the 17.5’ model correct? How many guys could the 90hp engine handle? I want to use a boat like this pulling tubes at the lake with the kids as well.

I have a DE 176, which is 17’2”, with a 90 Suzuki… I take it to Nootka each year, launching in gold River with a bunch of gear and three guys (we’re not small guys). And it handles it. Takes a little extra to get up on plane. But no issues. 115 is the best match to these hulls, but 90 works with no issues at all.

Last edited:
If had 90 and 115. The 90 gets you there. The 115 gets you there faster.
90 is bottom line acceptable, and most do come with 90’s from the dealer. Plus the e-tech would have a little more oomph being a 2 stroke and a bit lighter
What is the different top speed between the 90 and 115, I bet not much.Most of the time it is to rough to run full speed. Why do guys get so hung up on the number on the side of the motor.

Do your due diligence on this one.
Be interesting to see what it goes for. Mine was in way better shape but for the right guy who’s handy it might be a good one. She should fly with a 150 etec, I had a 115 4 stroke and wished I had the 150 at times. Bummer about the painted trailer. Should be illegal!

Depends on the brand, Merc as an example has a different leg ratio for the 90 vs 115 (not including the CT series). That makes a 90 quite strong out of the hole, probably why lodges used so many of them on their 18' boats with fat guests.

A 90 planes that boat with out a problem and you are not going to over work it.
I'd agree with this sentiment in this case. A 90 and a 115 in a yamaha which is the motor on these two examples are the same engine. I have a the 17.2 DE with a 115 (2018). I am happy with the 115 but I wouldn't have paid extra for the 115 over the 90 in my case.

If the choice was between a 90 Suzuki and a 115 Zuk then I would have gone 115 as those are two totally different motors. The 90 Zuk would be borderline with the smaller displacement.

The 90/ 115 yam have no noticeable difference in low end (imo). I've been in both. The 115 does 45 plus mph with a full tank, a 19p alum prop, and two people. I also have a stand up canvas. I don't remember what the 90 did but it was 40 something.

I do t know about the skier towing question. I'd just grab a 4 blade if I bought one with a 90 and swap it out when on the lake towing. 115 would probably be better that way too if your towing a fat arse.

Attachments

• 20230512_140535.jpg
    20230512_140535.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 35
You had the 17.5’ model correct? How many guys could the 90hp engine handle? I want to use a boat like this pulling tubes at the lake with the kids as well.
I didn’t typically load more than 2-3 people on the boat so I can’t say how it did with tons of people in it…
Top speed was around 37mph with 90 and about 48mph if I’m not mistaken with the 115.

I have a DE 176, which is 17’2”, with a 90 Suzuki… I take it to Nootka each year, launching in gold River with a bunch of gear and three guys (we’re not small guys). And it handles it. Takes a little extra to get up on plane. But no issues. 115 is the best match to these hulls, but 90 works with no issues at all.
Agreed!
I hear that beauty might be hitting the market pretty soon too. The plot thickens…

What is the different top speed between the 90 and 115, I bet not much.Most of the time it is to rough to run full speed. Why do guys get so hung up on the number on the side of the motor.
Some like to fly, and have a soar back for a week after a days fishing lol. Guess it depend what the use is, if the boat is loaded to the max 90% of the time yes extra hp is nice,prop can make a big difference on under powered boats, I run a boat underpowered IMO, fine 90% of the time cause I fish solo, but extra fat friends and a full tank of fuel in a big sea, the extra HP would be nice

Last edited:
Some like to fly, and have a soar back for a week after a days fishing lol. Guess it depend what the use is, if the boat is loaded to the max 90% of the time yes extra hp is nice,prop can make a big difference on under powered boats, I run a boat underpowered IMO, fine 90% of the time cause I fish solo, but extra fat friends and a full tank of fuel in a big sea, the extra HP would be nice
When we had our campion 542, it was powered with a Yamaha 115, some are optioned with the 150. The 115 did the job but like others have mentioned, overall performance, especially in rough water is not even close. I will never buy another boat that’s even questionably underpowered, they are not enjoyable to drive, and they typically work harder, resulting in almost the same fuel economy as the higher HP engines that aren’t working as hard.

My brother has a 90 merc and it has amazing torque, slightly more than the yami 115 at a lower rpm (it looks like both the yami and merc each have the same blocks for the 90/115). I didn’t look up the older Evinrude. Either way a sea trail and realistic boat loading needs to be done before you can get a good idea of performance. https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-...ve-orders-my2023-spark-ignited-marine-engines

Back