Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

I have fished for well over 50 years and I am at a loss why boats are selling for as much as they are. There is a real disconnect between the limited opportunities to enjoy fishing and the shrinking number of fish and boat prices. I have had boats for most of my fishing years however my primary reason is to fish not cruise or crab/prawn. I hope we don’t kill the dream of fishing for young people by high boat prices in addition to ridiculous house prices.
Simple. Increase in home values and access to cheap money. Who's house hasn't gone up by a few hundred K? And when you can borrow money at 5% below inflation, not a surprise that all assets have gone crazy.

Money is about to get significantly more expensive and RE values inverse rates. We are peak boat, the days of guys making 80k running 125k boats is about to come to an end. I'm expecting a big sale on toys in the next few years, keep your powder dry fella's, these asset bubbles always end the same way, the only variable is the when, not the how.

The cost of materials and labour are not going to change and demographics won't so I don't see the sky falling on boat prices. 10-20% for sure but you can almost get that with good negotiation and a survey. I'm talking about good brand name bags with reliable power, that are well kept.
Supply and demand is what is going to change. When your (not you, you) house is worth 150K less and your mortgage payment is 600 more, that boat in the driveway (or trailer, or SXS) that you use 4 times a year is the first to go. And once toys have to be sold, prices drop pretty fast. The opposite of fomo happens.

We have had low rates for so long, BOC overnight at 3%+ means 5 years at 6%, variables at 4-5% and boat loans at 7-8%, etc. That 500k mortgage is going to be 600+ more per month.

Anyways, apologies for the doomer derail, last post on this, just wanted to share my perspective. I work for a large NA bank, follow this pretty closely and feel like the market is about to turn over. No idea what the decrease in prices will be but I'm expecting demand to dry up going into next summer.

Supply and demand is what is going to change. When your (not you, you) house is worth 150K less and your mortgage payment is 600 more, that boat in the driveway (or trailer, or SXS) that you use 4 times a year is the first to go. And once toys have to be sold, prices drop pretty fast. The opposite of fomo happens.

We have had low rates for so long, BOC overnight at 3%+ means 5 years at 6%, variables at 4-5% and boat loans at 7-8%, etc. That 500k mortgage is going to be 600+ more per month.

Anyways, apologies for the doomer derail, last post on this, just wanted to share my perspective. I work for a large NA bank, follow this pretty closely and feel like the market is about to turn over. No idea what the decrease in prices will be but I'm expecting demand to dry up going into next summer.
Interesting stuff,not sure this is the right forum for it though.I'd be interested in knowing how many boat buyers (new or used) finance a boat purchase.No one I know has borrowed money to buy a boat (as far as I know),a perk of being old I guess.Bank rates don't affect those that don't borrow.

2015 Arima 17 ft Sea Angler Center Console - $24,500 (Olympia)​

View attachment 78925View attachment 78924View attachment 78922View attachment 78923
Didn’t know arima made a cc

Deal of the day,the hardtop adds $10K for me.2003 Striper 21 I'd buy it if I didn't already buy a boat this month.
wow and people are paying 50k for a 2006 campion 542… that looks like a great deal.

Deal of the day,the hardtop adds $10K for me.2003 Striper 21 I'd buy it if I didn't already buy a boat this month.

wow and people are paying 50k for a 2006 campion 542… that looks like a great deal.
Too bad about the Honda's tho. Nice boat otherwise. Priced right.

Interested to hear more about the Honda comment.
Usually it’s too bad about the E-tec; never heard much negative about a Honda.

Back