Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

2022 Cope aluminum boats 18.5 foot runabout. $17,000. Needs finishing, no trailer.

95C9C7CF-2A6E-47B5-B854-45BD2808BD73.jpegA1CA1DCF-4609-4DFA-9F44-CCC229DA0F69.jpeg4E933889-5677-439D-AFEB-1850AF8579F4.jpeg

That motor has the equivalent to 37,000 outboard hours. That’s really something, and yes, well overpriced IMO
I'm curious about this. Not doubting it by any means, but more so just don't know much about inboards I guess - or outboards, for that matter. There appears to be some sort of "dog years" type formula you are applying here. Why would an hour on an inboard "count" more than an hour on an outboard?

I'm curious about this. Not doubting it by any means, but more so just don't know much about inboards I guess - or outboards, for that matter. There appears to be some sort of "dog years" type formula you are applying here. Why would an hour on an inboard "count" more than an hour on an outboard?
Outboards are deemed much more reliable because of their simplicity and fewer moving parts, they are way nicer to work on in most cases as well.

Inboards are much lower priced up front but generally they fail at a much higher rate. Almost every used boat for sale seems to have a new inboard or recent rebuilt. The other negative is the possibility of water entering into the hull and potentially capsizing if a leg gets hit hard enough.

Inboards are much lower priced up front but generally they fail at a much higher rate. Almost every used boat for sale seems to have a new inboard or recent rebuilt. The other negative is the possibility of water entering into the hull and potentially capsizing if a leg gets hit hard enough.
Thanks and to Maxpri for his response to this as well. Yes, I am 100% sold on the idea of an outboard being simpler and easier to work on, and easier to replace. I'm a couple years out at least from doing any serious shopping for a boat upgrade, but have already decided that outboard would be non-negotiable for me. I just had never heard any specific comments about them being less reliable previously, more so just the downside of working on/replacing if and when there is a problem - which was enough for me to lean outboard already. Hadn't considered the water in the hull potential either but makes total sense.

Must say I definitely have envy of those of you with seaworthy ocean fairing boats, and I'm saving my coins to get there someday in the couple years. Currently rocking the early 80's 14' aluminum with 90's era Merc 2 stroke right now. Mostly for lakes, but I may try and choose some calm weather days and put in the chuck off Nanaimo next year as a proof of concept.

Must be some younger folks on here, as not that long ago, stern drives were the premium choice, better re-sale and more expensive. They have a bad rap recently, but they were used successfully for decades. Still available too! I had 2 of them over the years, maintenance and upkeep kept them working fine.

The possibility of water entering into the hull and potentially capsizing if a leg gets hit hard enough has not completely gone away with outboards.

was thinking the same thing. maybe it’s the lack of power or canvas which is throwing it off
The window extended down the sides does end and align with the back of the passenger side seating, (see the Cope photo) so I can only guess that it is a weather or wind protection idea.

Must be some younger folks on here, as not that long ago, stern drives were the premium choice, better re-sale and more expensive. They have a bad rap recently, but they were used successfully for decades. Still available too! I had 2 of them over the years, maintenance and upkeep kept them working fine.

The possibility of water entering into the hull and potentially capsizing if a leg gets hit hard enough has not completely gone away with outboards.
Most of the grief is related to people trying to keep a 25-year-old IO going with a whack of hours. Same thing for OB, replace a 25 year old IO with a nice new OB and obviously it'll be night and day. I agree Aqua, look after your equipment and it'll look after you. Mine have always treated me very well at way less cost. I'm not for 1 or the other, but I am one for looking after my stuff and keeping up on maintenance. Just my .02$.

2004 Boston whaler 559
$150,000
Listed 2 weeks ago in Comox, BC

I think this is a 255 where the other one is a 235, but both have poor pictures and write-ups considering what they are asking, in my opinion.

2004 Boston whaler 559
$150,000
Listed 2 weeks ago in Comox, BC

I think this is a 255 where the other one is a 235, but both have poor pictures and write-ups considering what they are asking, in my opinion.
The 255 whalers must be coming rare as they just keep climbing in price. I have watched them for the last 5 years and kick myself regularly for passing on a few.

Thanks and to Maxpri for his response to this as well. Yes, I am 100% sold on the idea of an outboard being simpler and easier to work on, and easier to replace. I'm a couple years out at least from doing any serious shopping for a boat upgrade, but have already decided that outboard would be non-negotiable for me. I just had never heard any specific comments about them being less reliable previously, more so just the downside of working on/replacing if and when there is a problem - which was enough for me to lean outboard already. Hadn't considered the water in the hull potential either but makes total sense.

Must say I definitely have envy of those of you with seaworthy ocean fairing boats, and I'm saving my coins to get there someday in the couple years. Currently rocking the early 80's 14' aluminum with 90's era Merc 2 stroke right now. Mostly for lakes, but I may try and choose some calm weather days and put in the chuck off Nanaimo next year as a proof of concept.
You can fish fairy easily off Nanaimo. On nice days seen people fish from paddle boards.
Launch at Charlain boat launch and you are 2 min from excellent fishing.

Back