Boat Trailer Help/Advice Needed

Rockfish

Looking for someone private to replace/repair or possibly upgrade drum surge brake system to a marine disk brake system on a tandem axle boat trailer. Currently the wheels turn when the boat weight is on the trailer but without the boat at least one of them does not turn and drags going forward and sometimes two wheels drag. They do turn in reverse. Alternatively I guess I could take it to a trailer brake shop but to do that I would at least have to get the wheels/brakes freed up so I could tow it empty someplace for repairs.

It is also an older trailer so I am debating simply replacing/repairing the existing drum brakes and buying a new or near new trailer with disk brakes as it is also going to need other work at some point, springs LED lights etc. I suspect that it would cost in the neighbourhood of 6 or 7 thousand for a new trailer and I would still have to fix up the old trailer to sell it. Whatever I do I suspect there is going to be a fair number of dollars involved.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on whom to get to do this work and where would be a good place to buy a new trailer on South VI. Or even advice on the decision. I am at a loss as to what is the best thing to do. I have been told that the easiest thing to do could be to buy brake backing plates with the cylinders and brake pads already installed and just swap them out. Don’t know where to get these in the Victoria area, especially with marine stainless springs, clips etc installed on them.

The trailer is currently at a Marina in Sooke and could possibly be worked on there. I want to get the issue resolved before Mid October when the boat needs to come out of the water and go back on the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rockfish
Typically the pads on your old shows will fall off the backing plates and jam your drums sometimes a good smack on the backing plate with a small sledge hammer will move them enough to get you going.

As for parts and kits, Lordco or any marine dealer can set you up if your in the Vic area I am sure Trotac or Lordco could help you out or order in what you need. If you are buying the kits as they are the easiest rather than trying to undo a bunch of rusty crap, they are easy to unbolt from the axle and just bolt on the new assembly attach lines and bleed the system. If your trailer is old you will need new drums as well so you may want to price out a disc break set as well and weigh your costs of doing the switch. Disc will last longer but they are usually more expensive but easier to maintain.

As for buying a new trailer, get on the net and do a search that way you don't need to drive around and can just call for pricing to get what you want.

Good luck with your decisions but if your trailer isn't rotted out I think you could save a lot of money just upgrading.

New backing plates are the way to go 70 to 100 depending on size and they have everything you need. No sense replacing just shoes. The pads usually give out and fall off after 3 to 4 years and can jam the wheel. Good luck.

Switched from drum to disc 3 years ago, other than regular greasing, I am just now doing a service on them.
I launch 60+ times a year

I have the same issue with my boat trailer, its a single axle, and one drum is seized, went in and saw trevor at trotac and got a tiedown disc brake kit, it included 2 disc brake assemblies,, hydraulic hose kit, and tongue/actuator for 459$...i will be installing the over the next few evenings and will let you know how it goes, for the extra 60$ over the drum kit it should pay for itself as i wont have drums seizing anymore!

I found out about the kit online and its in the paynes marine catelogue so trotac can order it in,

Cheers
Sudsy

If you want to save some cash and don't mind doing it yourself Kodak makes a good kit http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/
You can order them online for under $400 an axle

Conversely (I know I will get lambasted for this) , if your truck can handle it (ie-exhaust brake) remove the brakes and never worry about it again!

If you want to save some cash and don't mind doing it yourself Kodak makes a good kit http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/
You can order them online for under $400 an axle

Conversely (I know I will get lambasted for this) , if your truck can handle it (ie-exhaust brake) remove the brakes and never worry about it again!

Not going to lambaste you for this but in BC you can only register a trailer without brakes for a maximum of 1400 kg. That doesn't work for very many boat trailer combos out there.
Also, regardless of tow vehicle braking power, if you've ever been going downhill in icy or wet conditions and had your trailer try to come around and pass you when you are on the brakes then you really appreciate having brakes on your trailer.
Dave

Good point vette...
Towing down the malahat with travel trailer or boat I don't even touch the brakes and have to use throttle at times but ice would definitely be a $h1t show.

Once you get the boat off, just remove the locked up wheel. You can then tow to shop. I understand you have tandem axles. May have to chain up axle.
Ted

Thanks guys. Some useful information.

I still need to find someone to do the work or at least a shop although that would cost more. Anyone in Sooke or the Western Communities would be ideal.

Back