Boat size for Nootka Sound area

Da Bay Bye

I have been on this site for the last few years and have never ventured anywhere other than around the Comox area. I would like to try the Gold River-Nootka Sound area this year. My boat is a 15 ft Fibreform (looks like a Hourston).

Is it worthwhile towing it to Gold River and heading to Nootka Sound? I know bigger would be better but looking for advise as I have never been out there. I know my limitations and what I feel safe doing, but with no experience other than local area, I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks

What time I the year where you thinking? People fish Aug in kayaks....... I' ve fished 6 miles out in a 16' DE. I would launch in tahsis and fish esperenza and nootka pending how the wind blows

I fished there for years in an 18' fiberglass runabout. You CAN fish there in a smaller boat but that's when everything's going well. When the wind picks up or you have some issues, you're not going to want to be out there in less than 18. Gotta play it much more conservative with weather choices. My personal opinion!

i feel like my boat is small when we fish in bamfeild (in and off shore) its a 20'

depends on the day i guess. you could be fine one day and unsafe to leave the dock the next, i wouldnt want to be out when things change quickly

What time I the year where you thinking? People fish Aug in kayaks....... I' ve fished 6 miles out in a 16' DE. I would launch in tahsis and fish esperenza and nootka pending how the wind blows

I was thinking end June early July time frame. I am always watching the weather.

Don

Inside in the Sound its usually safe and lots of places to hide. There is always a safe flat calm spot to fish. I personally wouldn't take 15 feet offshore although I admit to seeing some out there from time to time. If you're going to launch at Gold River, just be mindful of the afternoon inflow down Muchalet Inlet. It can blow up and you end up bucking some nasty short waves to get out to Nootka. Usually manageable, but, best to leave in the morning if you can.

I was thinking end June early July time frame. I am always watching the weather.

Don
the later in the summer the better Aug long can be busy but fish are inside by then and you can fish protected. Hoiss, Argo, etc are a quick jet from couger creek or critter.

If July is your flavour then maybe look ay launching in tahsis. This way you can fish either nootka or esperenza pending the wind. You will want to fish the surf line area. Wash rock, monument, Rosa, black rock, etc.

Pescador is right watch that inflow. An afternoon run will knock your Chiclets loose

Thanks everyone. I think I will follow up on bones advise and shoot for August time. Head out after the long weekend to avoid some of the crowds.

Don

Fished in a 16' for years in the inside with no issues. Look at staying at cougar creek or Tuta marina. Timing for fish in sound . Trailer Bearings! Some very steep hills.

Last edited:
I used to fish the open ocean in a 14ft Livingston. When my dad was young, they would go 10 miles offshore in Norway in a small rowboat. The smaller boats tend to bob up & down with the waves better than a larger heavier boat. I crossed Swiftsure bank in my 24ft searay with breaking waves over 20ft. Breaking waves will fill your boat. If it's too rough for your boat it's too rough to fish with any amount of enjoyment in any size boat - wait for better weather. My main complaint with the 14 footer was that the gunnels were less than waist high & I got beat to death when running doenriggers. I am now in a 33ft boat that weighs about 15,000lb.

Thanks everyone. I think I will follow up on bones advise and shoot for August time. Head out after the long weekend to avoid some of the crowds.

Don
watch the commercial opening after the long weekend. fishing pretty poor after it till the next wave comes in. usually a week or so

Fished there last August in my 16 tinny. No worries inside, lots of protected places. Open boat so I am always on alert for wind and weather. Was able to fish right out past Burdwood pt. in the mornings. Beauty place, fishing was slow for me (15th or so) for springs, coho seemed to be picking up. Springs were kinda boots. I'd go again if earlier in August.

Back