Boat Shipping

C

chromechaser

I posted earlier today about skiing behind a campion 542 with a 140 hp. I have since located a boat that I really like in Trenton Ontario. Same boat, but 2007. It was kind of by accident as I was searching a website for used boats and didn't mean to enter all provinces in the search but did. Low and behold a two year old boat with 40 hours on an evinrude etech 150 shows up with a full load of options for way less than a couple of nearly identical local 2007's (but the local boats had more than twice the hours). The asking price is the same as a 2000 (I think it was a 2000) that galleon marine had with only a 115 yammie and far more hours. Anyways the catch is getting it here without it costing me an arm and a leg and eating up a big chunk of the savings. The sales rep that I talked to said last time they looked into it they figured it was going to cost $4500 to ship it out. Anyways, if there is a more economical way of getting the boat here I may have just found my boat (provided of course I can talk the warden into spending a few more thousand than we planned). Anybody have any experience shipping a boat out from ontario or have any advice? Any help would be appreciated and as always, thanks in advance.

Paul

Is it possible to put it on a train?

Take only what you need.

I thought about that, but the sales rep that I spoke to said that tracks did not come into Trenton. He said they would work with me if I could come up with something, but he didn't seem all that keen on the train idea at all.

I wonder where the nearest train yard is from there? It might be worth calling them just to see what they can do for you... if anything? Maybe you just need to get it from Trenton to some train yard? The reason I suggest the train is that I know people who have had cars shipped out from back east that way.

Take only what you need.

Looked into the train thing a bit more. The trailer is too wide and the rig is too high to fit in one of the car/truck railcars. I could flatbed it, but not sure how safe or secure that would be. Plus getting it from trenton to the railyard would be a pain as the dealer wasn't into hauling it there and I don't know anyone in that area. Looks like my best bet is going to be a flatbed truck. I got a couple of quotes today at about $3000 and am waiting for a few more. Also listed it on uship to see what kind of bids I could get. So far, none.

I thought about driving out myself, but with my work I wouldn't be able to take that much time away until early august. Even then the tow vehicle is the main family vehicle and leaving the wife and three kids without wheels for five or six days may not fly too well. I'm thinking flat bed truck.

I listed it on uship yesterday afternoon and so far only one bid at $3800 USD. Over a grand more than a flatbed through Trident or Galleon who both estiated $3000 CND. Maybe there will be more bids. Thanks though.

uship.com

It's an online auction site for shipping. You enter you cargo, and where your shipping from/to...shipping companies bid on it.

A guy I work with just got a quote of $825 to ship a Seaswirl 2101 from San Diego to the border. Seems pretty cheap.

The lowest quote I have received from uship is $2500 USD.

Now it gets interesting though. When looking over the pictures of the rig, I notice that the trailer is not galvanized. They are willing to knock $1500 off the price tag and sell me the boat and motor without a trailer. But that changes the shipping options (and the size of the load). Gotta love the merry-go-round.

Thanks for all your advice so far. Sure hope this works out.

the savings are getting chewed up really quickly with all of the added expenses, fees and taxes so we have decided to pull back on this one and see what we can come up with locally or in washington state. Thanks for all of your input. It was a learning experience.

You might want to try contacting Capmion Marine in Kelowna. They use their own trucks to haul boats out to Ontario dealers and may come back empty. I had looked at a boat in Thunder bay and thought about that option.It also had a painted trailer and I was going to buy it without and get one in BC.

There is a 542 for sale in Kelowna here.

http://www.mmservices.ca/ogopogo_marine/pre_owned_boats.php

Looks nice form the highway. Is a Volvo sterndrive. Sign on the boat is $17,900 but it has been there for a year so would make a low offer. Is not really an okanagan type boat so hard to sell maybe. I have a Campion 602 but looked at the 542 first. The 542 is a great boat and I would be happy with one myself.
SR

NewBoat2-1.jpg

Hey sir reel,

Thanks for the input. I contacted Campion last week and they said they would do it for me, but that it would be a good number of weeks before they would have a trunk there. I guess the recession is hitting the boat market pretty hard in ontario right now. I also tried Legend boats to see if I could piggy back on one of their shipments out this way and they said they would if they had a partial load.

I had backed off the boat in Ontario mostly due to the trailer issue as shipping without the trailer is a big issue unless I use a boat hauler which costs a fortune. I did find an affordable flatbed guy, but shipping without a trailer is a pain. If I knew for sure I could sell the painted trailer for a decent price once it is here, I would probably get the boat, but I don't want to get stuck spending $2000 plus for a new trailer and getting stuck with a second one that I can't load or have to take into the interior to sell.

I will check out that boat in Kelowna. Not much on their website about it and no photos but I'll call them today. Good to know their sticker price as their website says $18,999. Thanks for the info.

You'll get a few years out of a painted trailer...it just won't look pretty. My first boat had a painted trailer and I used it for 3 years in the saltchuck before selling the boat and trailer. Trailer was still fine structurally...just had some rust stains.

Just a thought in case you happen to find a great deal on a boat with a painted trailer.

Hey Chromechaser, being a 542 owner I've been following your queries with interest. That looks like a real nice unit with virtually no hours. Since Ontario is being hit hard by the recession why not put in your best offer to the dealer that includes switching the trailer over to Galvanized, and shipping if need be. Worst thing they can say is no. A slightly used trailer for an 18 ft'er should not be hard to unload for a dealer in Ontario or to take of the price. Ontario is Ski and Bass Boat country, the 542 is more of a West Coast boat so they may be willing to deal. I had a painted trailer that got 15-20 years on it and I was not afraid to put it in the salt. As mentioned looked like crap and I finally had to replace the front beam that attaches to the coupler of all places first. The running gear, springs is not galvanized on any trailer anyways. Good Luck that boat is not even broken in yet.

Hey Seawolf - I talked to the guy today and he offered me an aluminum Venture trailer (due to a volume deal, they get them cheaper than the galvanized ezloader)at their cost with a $1500 rebate for the painted one. Bottom line was adding $1280 plus taxes to the final price of the boat. This is a step up from last week when he told me a new aluminum or glavanized would be about $4000. He was also going to check over their stock to see if they could swap trailers with another used boat of similar age. I am considering making a take it or leave it offer including the new trailer but excluding shipping and seeing where it goes. Like you said, can't hurt.

We are also looking at Malibu 182's so if anyone sees anything interesting out there in Campion 542's or Malibu 182's let me know. You find the odd explorer outside of BC but not much on the used market in Washington or Oregon. Haven't seen any 182's outside BC.

Back