Boat Insurance for guys who fish ?

Peterman

Ive been reading some older posts about boat insurance... seems like lots to consider when your running offshore, and operating in different areas of the Island, ECVI and WCVI etc...

So who are the good guys to deal with? in either Nanaimo or Victoria... half the time I end up talking to ppl who dont have a clue what im talking about or where Im fishing...

Thanks

Ive been reading some older posts about boat insurance... seems like lots to consider when your running offshore, and operating in different areas of the Island, ECVI and WCVI etc...

So who are the good guys to deal with? in either Nanaimo or Victoria... half the time I end up talking to ppl who dont have a clue what im talking about or where Im fishing...

Thanks

I use Hub insurance here in Nanaimo (the old Evans Bastion insurance) on Wallace Street.

Cool... do insure your boat for its whole value... say 70k? or can you insure it for 20k if you only wanna protect your motor or something?

Thanks Ill do that this week... then splash her in...

Cool... do insure your boat for its whole value... say 70k? or can you insure it for 20k if you only wanna protect your motor or something?

Thanks Ill do that this week... then splash her in...

Yes I insure it for the full value. I need to taks some pictures of all the stuff I added this year and update my insurance. Talk to them about the floater for the alberni inlet. I used to get it years ago but haven't lately because I don't travel the canal anymore.

I believe Charlie mentioned in a thread about getting a floater for going past 25 miles offshore. I'm going to be looking into that as well.

If you look at your policy it will have area limits on it...like 2A or 2B etc..these apply to certain areas of the coast where you are insured. You want to check and make sure your policy covers all the area you may fish...including offshore.

What Prtofisher says is entirely true! It doesn't mean that it has to cost more to go out of those areas-but you have to query it before you buy the insurance and quite often you can get the limits respecified to those you need without further cost. Make sure it's in writing!!!

Yeah! Paper work not my strong suit...lol... I will be checking into everything as mentioned in detail...

Just wondering with my new boat if they will send someone out to asses its value or if my pictures and paper work are enough..?

Thanks for the help...

You will need a boat survey and maybe other things done and registration etc being a new boat id insure it for the whole thing why wouldnt you??? you have spent lots now!!!!! to NOT spend an few extra hundread for full coverage is kinda mute???? heck id get replacement coverage if I could god forbid if someone stole it then what??? be protected kinda like how momma said make sure you got clean underwear when going out!!!! LOL LOL good luck Brad

wolf

Just wondering with my new boat if they will send someone out to asses its value or if my pictures and paper work are enough..?

Thanks for the help...

Dolphin Insurance Services in Vancouver (Cowan Insurance Brokers and Travellers)
www.dolphininsurance.com
1-800-460-0619

I think I've been with them about 18 years.
You may have to be a Power Squadron member or taken the course (coverage is endorsed by CPS).

My policy is for declared value, accepted by Dolphin without any survey or pix requested.
It doesn't apply to me, but payment is Total Loss-Replacement on boats 3 years of age or less.

What does apply to me is is the following quote from my insurance:

Navigational Limits: The Navigational Limits of this policy include:
1. Inland - the navigable inland lakes and rivers of Canada and the United States,
including their tributaries, not south of 40°N latitude but including the Great Lakes.
2. East Coast - the navigable coastal/tidal waters of Canada and the United States not
north of 52°N latitude and not south of 40°N latitude.
3. West Coast - the navigable coast / tidal waters of Canada and the United States not
north of 55°N latitude and not south of 47°N latitude. Navigation north of 55°N latitude
to 60°N latitude is permitted between May 1 and October 1.

Ask them for a copy of their Marine Insurance Coverage to review the other covered items
(liability, commercial towing, imminent danger, precautionary measures, etc, etc).

Good luck Peterman,

F D

Yep, just started jumping thru the hoops with Hub, right now... not a big deal just gathering all my receipts for the boat, trailer and gear... taking pictures and photo copying my TC tickets for them.. Ill let you guys what it cost, considering my Masters 60ton will give me a discount and the running offshore business... Ill try to brake it down... its gonna be at least a week or so, heading up to Ukee tomorrow and a little bear hunting planned... Ill try to get prices for each option to give everyone an idea of costs in various situations, as everyone is a little different..

x2 for Dolphin - another quote never hurts - if not read the fine print -or you'll never know till shyt happens!

Yeah, this is fun... Tried to avoid a survey by providing a bill of sale (bc the boat is new) pictures of all the gear, new prices and used values of everything.. photo copies of all my boating certification... details galour... Really doesnt seem to matter they still want a survey(bc they arent paying for it)... anyways good to have a record I guess..

3 mill liability premium $160 *If I get it on my house insurnance... 2 mill is $22 bucks* Interesting

Anyways still trying to sort everything out, waiting to hear back from a surveyor...

But thought the liability aspect was interesting, even if you dont insure your boat, you might want to consider tagging in some liability for $12 = 1 mill or $22 = million liability on your home insurance... Think..... S.Craven mentioned this also...

Yeah, this is fun... Tried to avoid a survey by providing a bill of sale (bc the boat is new) pictures of all the gear, new prices and used values of everything.. photo copies of all my boating certification... details galour... Really doesnt seem to matter they still want a survey(bc they arent paying for it)... anyways good to have a record I guess..

3 mill liability premium $160 *If I get it on my house insurnance... 2 mill is $22 bucks* Interesting

Anyways still trying to sort everything out, waiting to hear back from a surveyor...

But thought the liability aspect was interesting, even if you dont insure your boat, you might want to consider tagging in some liability for $12 = 1 mill or $22 = million liability on your home insurance... Think..... S.Craven mentioned this also...

Interesting to know about the survey for a made vessel. Makes sense really and I bet in the long run you will be glad you got it done.

I think folks are nuts not to have liability of some kind. What's 12-22 bucks in the big picture after you hit Wheatons yacht parked in the boat basin by accident???

Just an update... Im getting my boat surveyed tomorrow.. it costs $12 per foot for the survey...

Then I can go ahead with the insurance... The insurers didnt accept all the receipts,photo's,replacement costs and item sheets I provided... They still needed a survey.... big waste of time... even did a spread sheet like my grade 12 teacher taught me...

Back