Boat Heater?

Saltwater Cowboy

What is the best way to keep a little heat in the boat while fishing? I have a cuddy with the full cnavas enclosure around the seats with a drop curtain and looking to keep it somewhat bearable in the temps they are calling for during the chum derby! Any suggestions? Plus would love to keep a little heat n during the night so it's ready to go for day of the derby!

Thanks

SWC

If you run a outboard motor get a small coleman camping heater that uses the small canisters of fuel. That works great for me, however if you run a inboard I would not recommend it as the fuel will settle in the hold if it leaks and can blow up.

I have the stor/dry in my boat for storage and it works for it's intented purpose to keep the milldew out. it does not get warm to the touch even, just enough to take some humidity out and circulate air like a dehumidistat.
It will not warm the air space to keep you warm while fishing or dry things out overnight.

I also have another heater that puts out 9000 btu's. I use it sometimes but it tends to go out a lot with just a small tap or from the wind. This heater is much larger and will work good in a stable spot but I'm afraid it will not work too good in the boat.
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=24
Some other guys I know made a small case to hold a propane stove and they will even cook up some bacon and eggs in the morning when they are out fishing.... the biggest problem with this is that now you have an open flame on board the boat and from a safety point.... its not the best way to stay warm on a boat.

I have a 21’ Campion with a cuddy and I installed a RV (Atwood) 9000 BTU forced air heater on the shelf above the Vee birth. Vented it thru the deck and it runs on those 2lb disposable propane canisters. Good for 3-4 hours. This heater is auto light (no standing pilot).

I'd go with that and load up on glove and socks warmers. Costco had a box for about 36 bux
vic
quote:Originally posted by fishinfool

I go fishing up at Cowichan Lake in November and it can get pretty cold out there so I bought a small propane heater from Canadian tire and it works great. Never goes out because of wind or wave action and there is no flame to worry about. It is only 3000 btu's but that is enough to keep the chill off. I added a link so you can see what it looks like.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053A751&categoryid=3000

I used the Golf cart style for one day out on the water and found that it wouldnt warm _hit. It is only 3000 btu and found that with all the air circulation that it was not warm. I used the Mr heater original that can put out between 9000-30000 btu. Works great for heat, drying wet gear and if you get smart you build a top on it and can warm food and keep your coffee warm. i stand mine up in a milk crate and it has never fallen over( does have an auto shut off in case) all for 59.00 from greggs dist in Langley

[8D][8D] wow that feels warm

I use the round propane heads that can be bought at any gas appliance store..they attatch directly to a propane bottle so cheap to run..I use an 8 # bottle..Good for warming the lunch or grilled cheese sandwiches too..LOL

I learned a trick about 10 years ago. This of course won't work to keep you warm when your in your boat fishing but it sure keeps you warm at night. I don't have a camper with a furnace, instead I sleep in my van.... it can get really cold in the winter time so a friend showed me one year to put a rock about the size of a volleyball on the edge of the fire.... leave it there till about half an hour before you go to bed.... take the rock out and leave open to the air to cool down a bit. The rock will actually glow red so it must cool for a bit. After it is not glowing red anymore, wrap it in newspaper and put it in a pillowcase. You can put it in your sleeping bag and it will stay warm all night. In fact after all the guys saw me do this the first night they all started to tease me the next night saying.... "Hey Steve.... you better go get your rock to heat up in the fire." Well, believe it or not but when I went to my sleeping bag to get my rock to heat up for the night to my surprise and everyone else's, the rock was still warm almost 24 hours later. The next year when we all got together people were saying..... oh, your the guy that sleeps with the hot rock.... this trick works great..... try it, you might be surprised at how well it works..... Steve.

I learned a trick about 10 years ago. This of course won't work to keep you warm when your in your boat fishing but it sure keeps you warm at night. I don't have a camper with a furnace, instead I sleep in my van.... it can get really cold in the winter time so a friend showed me one year to put a rock about the size of a volleyball on the edge of the fire.... leave it there till about half an hour before you go to bed.... take the rock out and leave open to the air to cool down a bit. The rock will actually glow red so it must cool for a bit. After it is not glowing red anymore, wrap it in newspaper and put it in a pillowcase. You can put it in your sleeping bag and it will stay warm all night. In fact after all the guys saw me do this the first night they all started to tease me the next night saying.... "Hey Steve.... you better go get your rock to heat up in the fire." Well, believe it or not but when I went to my sleeping bag to get my rock to heat up for the night to my surprise and everyone else's, the rock was still warm almost 24 hours later. The next year when we all got together people were saying..... oh, your the guy that sleeps with the hot rock.... this trick works great..... try it, you might be surprised at how well it works..... Steve.

Hey,

I use the Mr.Heater that FishinFool had a link to. It works really well. I use it in my tin boat on the lakes and in my Trophy when I'm fishing for winters. It takes the chill off quite nicely.

One of the best things about it are its safety features. It has a low oxygen shut off and it will shut off if it is bumped or falls over.

I would definitely recommend it.

FishWish

Hey,

I use the Mr.Heater that FishinFool had a link to. It works really well. I use it in my tin boat on the lakes and in my Trophy when I'm fishing for winters. It takes the chill off quite nicely.

One of the best things about it are its safety features. It has a low oxygen shut off and it will shut off if it is bumped or falls over.

I would definitely recommend it.

FishWish

propane gas is extremely explosive and is a lot heavier than air that is why it is not a good idea inside a boat - especially inside an enclosure. The gas will follow along the bottom of the boat and build up in the lowest areas such as the bilge area in inboards and storage areas and any small spark will set it off.I am working on an idea for a solar heater for boats.patent pending...kipper.

propane gas is extremely explosive and is a lot heavier than air that is why it is not a good idea inside a boat - especially inside an enclosure. The gas will follow along the bottom of the boat and build up in the lowest areas such as the bilge area in inboards and storage areas and any small spark will set it off.I am working on an idea for a solar heater for boats.patent pending...kipper.

Back