Boat collision off Sooke?

Derby days are the worst for running full speed in the dark. Countless times I'm on my boat at the dock getting set up. Its pitch dark so I have my arch light on to light up the deck so I can work. I often hear a boat going full tilt on the east Sooke side. I can't see him as there are no nav lights....his engine sound is all I have to tell me of his progress as he heads out. And many wonder why they loose crab traps....ahhh maybe floats cut off in the dark? I think so!!

I got run into in the fog on my commercial troller back in the '80's--deckhand at the wheel while I was back checking the gear and a drunk at the wheel in the other troller. The fog was patchy that day which is almost worse as it gives people false confidence. The other boat crunched into my gunnel up towards the bow. i had to cut my trip short and run into Victoria to repair my troller--ruined the income from 1 trip---and I fired my deckhand.
T2

OR, up at 0515, coffee and lunch ready, gear all set to jump into fireman style. look out the window, pea soup fog on the strait. we can hear the fog horns of the commercial traffic this AM. on the beach is the logical but disappointing decision for today especially since it is a Saturday which draws the weekend warriors. the fish are simply not worth dealing with this.............

and this from this AMs newpapers: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo...ollides-with-sailboat-in-San-Juan-4813093.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Shepnoir; far to easy to arm chair quarterback and come to quick judgment based on way to little information. Let the authorities do their job.

I view it as a warning and a chance to review and learn. Came back into the harbour yesterday in thick fog and did not even go up on plane till we were well around the spit and the fog cleared. Kept it around 8 mph. It may cost you a few extra minutes to get back in but way more reaction time and at that speed it may be a good bump but you are not likely going to cut another sport boat in half as you could at 28 to 40 mph. You are also more likely to see and are less likely to rip you leg off or punch a hole in your hull from a deadhead.

I agree with Shepnoir; far to easy to arm chair quarterback and come to quick judgment based on way to little information. Let the authorities do their job.

I view it as a warning and a chance to review and learn. Came back into the harbour yesterday in thick fog and did not even go up on plane till we were well around the spit and the fog cleared. Kept it around 8 mph. It may cost you a few extra minutes to get back in but way more reaction time and at that speed it may be a good bump but you are not likely going to cut another sport boat in half as you could at 28 to 40 mph. You are also more likely to see and are less likely to rip you leg off or punch a hole in your hull from a deadhead.
Wiffen Spit in the fog always scares the $hit out of me. A few years ago I was heading out in heavy fog at a very slow speed because of the heavy fog. I was all worried about crab traps and the nautical markers, it was first thing in the morning and there was other boats all leaving the harbour all at a slower speed, some slower then others. I'm basically just driving by GPS just as I round the spit a boat passes me within 20ft, so close that the spray from his boat sprays across my windshield and he was coming in to the harbour. This idiot was doing mock 10 coming in to the harbour not anything, anybody at that time of morning would be looking for. After we cleared the harbour month me and my crew just sat there and looked at each other and thanked are lucky stars that we weren't hurt or killed. I didn't fish again till I installed radar on the boat and took a Power Squadron course on how to use it. Now if it's foggy out, the radar is the first thing I turn on before leaving the dock. And no this guy didn't have radar, and I'm sure he didn't see me till he was passed me.

Back