Boat cleaning

TenMile

Took the boat out this weekend for a good run in the warm weather and noticed how grungy it was getting. So Sunday afternoon I spend an hour or so with the kids scrbbing away those annoying stains and scuffs in the corners -- little bits of corrosion that can creep up etc...

I found a little product that seems to work very well on the boat called the Magic Eraser. It's a little sponge impregnated with a cleaner. Non toxic, but the MSDS suggests if you ingest the sponge, it will block the intestinal tract (duh...). Makes it easy to get into corners and grooves that build up with crap.

You can buy a box of 6 or so at Costco where you find the household cleaning supplies and they cost about $5. Get them damp and they take off black scuff marks, fish blood, mildew & mold, minor corrosion and the brown stain marks around scupper drains and drain plug holes. Also cleans vinyl seats and plastic very well. Did a good job on the stainless bow rails removing the bits of corrosion around the screws. Last spring, before I got a cover, I had the boat parked under a dogwood and when the buds popped, it glopped a bunch of sappy goo on the boat. I couldn't find anything to take these brown marks off - but it got those marks off too.

Also found an easy wax product to use from Turtle Wax called Zip Wax at Cdn Tire. Pour a small bit in a bucket and fill with cold water -- it cleans and waxes the hull -- makes the cleanup next time much quicker and easier as stuff tends not to stick. One year past since I purchased a jug and it's still half full.

Cool,, thx for the tip Tenmile...

I got a recommendation for getting off tough stains -- specifically the grunge on the water line, above the bottom paint.

Marikate On & Off Bottom Cleaner.

A mild acid I believe, I'm told you want long rubber gloves and probably a respirator. But it'll do the trick supposedly.

On a related note, I just bottom painted my hopefully soon ex-boat, and I tell you, taking the tape off that perfect clean paint line has to be one of the most satisfying tasks there is. Looks so damn good. But a tip, in the "I know better" category: the blue residue in my nose confirms that paper masks are not good enough when sanding old bottom paint. Wear a respirator, that's toxic stuff.

I just took the tarp off the boat today and did inventory on what the work and clean up I need to do. I'll second those magic eraser pads they do work and the acid works well too.

quote:paper masks are not good enough when sanding old bottom paint

Thats your problem, there is no need to sand it. Just blast it with a pressure washer to remove any loose chips and slap your paint on.

I use SeaPower. It cleans even the toughest stains and waxes as well.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=53625F

We use a mild hydrochloric acid acid on our aluminum boats. Available at most marine supply stores. No scrubbing required but wear thick rubber gloves and do it in a well venitlated area. Need to work on a small area and flush quickly to avoid inconsistent white streaks. Cheap and easy.

I read the box on a magic eraser last night as it sounds like a great product.
The box says not to use on a polished or glossy surface?
Any concerns with that? Did it dull your finish or any other issues?

Thanks,

Tips

Back