boarding ladders

MRACER

lOOKING TO MOUNT A BOARDING LADDER to the pod/trans. on my alumn boat project- Any input on types or problems would be appreciated- thanks.

Make sure that when it is deployed its easy to use. What I mean is lots of them if you ever tried to use them they are a pain in the butt to get into the boat with. So if its going to flip off the back of the pod have it like a step. Have a usable angle to it and a grab bar in a usable area to give you a hand getting out of the water.

All you need is one footing/step and a good grab bar.

If the boat is on a trailer that you can use it to get in and out of is easy. I perfer the folding ones. As FA says good grab handles.

Like others have posted. A good grab handle is a must. I like the flip up tree ladder style you see quite a bit on alloy boats. I have some pic's somewhere in my folders of a few that I have saved over the years. I am still searching for them. If I find them I will post them up so you can get some idea's. It's all in the mount/hinge piece and apparently needs to be quite beefy or cracking can occur. I need to do the same thing in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
John

Here are a few shots I grabbed off the AAB forum for you. It show's the hing/mount quite good on one of them and the tree style ladder I was talking about.

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Not so good of a shot but a nice simple single step ladder off to the right of the picture.

transom20pics20001.jpg

Hope these give you some idea's. If you search the cookie cutter boat sites light Weldcraft, Thunderjet, etc. they sometimes have photos of their ladder's which are similar to the ones I posted. Lifetimer and alot of Island builders use the same system and some of them are pretty beefy. My understanding is that divers with all their gear on etc. need them beefed up due to cracking at the mount or bending the main stem pipe of the tree ladder etc.

Cheers,
Sculpin

That second one is great plus the grab handle right on the swim grid is nice. The only thing about those ones is they stick up in the way all the time, But great if you were using it for diving. I prefer the ones that fold flat on to the swim grid.

That second one is great plus the grab handle right on the swim grid is nice. The only thing about those ones is they stick up in the way all the time, But great if you were using it for diving. I prefer the ones that fold flat on to the swim grid.

I'm not sure but it does look like the first one sticks up. I do know that the one in the third photo flips all the way over and lays flat on the swim grid. That's what I'm going for shortly. I agree that if it sticks up it is probably quite irritating!

I like the second one- Just wondering if it flips up, you can use it to climb from the pod over the transome??after you get out of the water or off the ground if it is parked on the trailer. could be handy for us old folk..

I like the second one as well... See the grab handle on the transom? Ever seen the gay handle some poeple have mounted on the swim grid? How would you use it?

Interesting design modification to that pod in the last picture! Wondering what would warrant that? Buoyancy?

It's goatram's boat from the Bloody Decks site. I think it was for some buoyancy and to help stop the porpoising that was occuring if I recall.

The thing I like about his ladder in the third picture is that it is furthest away from the prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
some good ideas there- starting to think it will be easier to custom build one- what the h*** -it's alumn, right?

Back