Bloody head anchovies

CIVANO

If you have a frozen package that possibly thawed a little while vacuum packed and the eyes and head are bloody, do you stil brine and use them or toss them?

Toss em. I also heard that they may not have been starved before freezing? Either way...it's hard enough to catch the big prize, don't want the gear//bait to exasperate the problem.

I'm with Sculpin-- I've caught fish on pulp and mush as long as I get it to move---read some of the posts on curing anchovies on this forum---some guys dessicate them until they turn into cardboard and swear this is when they fish the best.

I've cut one inch tail sections off mushy junk herring and still caught fish as long as I get it to spin. Junky anchovies are much easier to use then junk herring because they fit so nicely into those Rhys Davis caps---salt them and dry the hell out of them and make them spin. I bet they catch fish.

Use em. As long as they will roll, they're good to go imo. If the bellies are ef'd from the thaw, use em for prawn/crab bait, but other wise they will still catch fish. If a salmon will bite an anchovy with a big plastic hat on (teaser head), and some sharp metal object sticking out the side (hook), I'm sure they don't care about blood shot eyes. The blood scent might motivate a bite.:confused:

Fished renfrew last week , my buddy was outfishing me (I rig the bait) stuck and old piece of anchovie from last year, it was looking pretty grim. he wouldn't know the difference. After we boated his 20lber he asked if i some more of that sh%^ bait from last year

Rig em and fish em. Bait isn't cheap.

X3

Your trying to fool a fish with a brain the size of a pea......I really don't thing they care what colour the eyes are of the food they are going to eat.

I am using chovies from two years ago that were vac sealed and they are still catching fish.

As for brine, used to be a die in the wool pure salt guy (and still am in the early season), but have been using the water/salt/blueing/powdered milk/garlic mixture with great results these last two years. The two year old chovies sure look good in the mixture.

Cheers

SS

considering how the bloody nose teaser head is one of my faves - the bait goes in mushy, bloody, or not. As stated, as long as the roll is there, thats the ticket!

Back