Birds Nest in Reel.

F

fishcatcher

I cast from shore and everytime I get a birds nest in my reel. I've tried the following: 1) tighten both the cast control and the drag, 2) loosen the cast control and keep the drag tight, 3) tighten the cast control and loosen the drag, and 4) loosen both the cast control and the drag. Does anyone know why the line tangles in my reel and how I can fix it?

make sure that when whatever you're casting hits the water you stop the reel with your thumb, then let it sink down at a controled pace.

I'm just new to using bait cast reels but what I find works for me is to stop the line just before it hits the water. Hope this helps

There are several factors...

1. use a larger reel with a big spool, it prevents birds nets than smaller reels and you can cast farther to..
2. use quality fishing line! </u> avoid hard stiff lines and use lighter lb. test line..
3. don't over spool your reel
4. Use a casting rod with larger eyes.
5. avoid line twist, use a swivel if you have to to your lure
6. when you retrieve your line back onto your real, the way it spools back on your spool is critical to your next cast. Keep an even tention as possible, if you have tight and loose parts as your reeling your line in your next cast could be a nice birds nest.
6. These things help to prevent birds nets.. nearly impossible to avoid them 100%.. just part of spin casting... its going to happen at some point..

Howdy,

Some lower quality reels are inherently problematic. Poor engineering.

How you spool the new line onto your reel could also be a factor.

I don't recall which is the correct way (but you've got a 50/50 shot at gettin' it right the first time).

One way is to spool/feed it off the factory spool onto your reel with a pencil or something stuck through the spool so it can spin; the other is to let it come off the factory spool same as comes off your open-face spinning reel as you cast.

As stated earlier, use good swivels and more than one wouldn't hurt.

Good luck.

Terry

Here's a pic of one of our clients from Texas with a hugeeee birds nest from last year, he hadn't caught any salmon before this trip haha....somehow we managed to catch the 30lb Spring by hand....

DSC_0582.jpg

The thumb trick works good, I just wing it out and as it gets closer to the water I slowly add tension with my thumb, I keep my tension pretty loose since 3 summers of casting from the river bank on the clear water taught me how to not fudge up my reel &lt; specially when dear old dad said I was old enough to figure my own **** out &lt;3 &gt;

Klink

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think that it's the quality of the reel. If I don't find an answer to this problem, I'll invest in a spinning reel. Tight lines! :)

One way to help avoid backlash and bird nests on baitcasting reels is to use the arbor speed control on each and every lure. So when you change weight and size...just readjust your tension on the arbor.
I put my reel in free spool and adjust the control so i have a nice smooth drop from the rod tip to the ground, works pretty well.
Plus quality is a huge factor.

Getbent

Back