Bilge pump help

jeffb

My fwd bilge pump packed it in and when I tried to replace it wants to run non-stop. I was told that it would "cycle" for 30 seconds or so... it does not... I am no electrician or plumber by any means... any help or advice would be much appreciated! The pump is an automatic Rule 500

Correct me if I'm wrong but you pump has 3 wires.
1 is ground
1 is power (all the time for the auto part)
1 is switched for an over ride.

Could you have the last two backwards
GLG

Correct me if I'm wrong but you pump has 3 wires.
1 is ground
1 is power (all the time for the auto part)
1 is switched for an over ride.

Could you have the last two backwards
GLG

I just replaced the exact same pump. you are correct. There is a wiring diagram that came with the pump. Mine had a switched wire from the dash. A hot wire from the battery with an inline fuse that goes to a float switch and a ground wire. Not sure if that pump also is available with a built in float switch.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The Black wire goes directly to ground.

The Brown wire goes to the battery positive ( through a fuse )

The Brown w/ stripe goes to the switch, then goes to a fuse, then goes to the positive supply.

Battery-drawing-Bilgepump-v3.jpg
[/FONT]

My fwd bilge pump packed it in and when I tried to replace it wants to run non-stop. I was told that it would "cycle" for 30 seconds or so... it does not... I am no electrician or plumber by any means... any help or advice would be much appreciated! The pump is an automatic Rule 500

Don't mean to sound negative but those pumps are junk. I've had several and they ALL failed. When these pumps fail they are stuck in the on position.

My advice is to return it as defective and buy a different pump with a separate float switch. The johnson pumps have been very reliable in my experience.

Don't mean to sound negative but those pumps are junk. I've had several and they ALL failed. When these pumps fail they are stuck in the on position.

My advice is to return it as defective and buy a different pump with a separate float switch. The johnson pumps have been very reliable in my experience.

LOL Had a Johnson pump fail, couldn't find a replacement so got a rule. Time will tell.

Is there any water in ther right now? If there is to much lift the hose can drain back and fill the bilge enough to turn the pump on. It will just keep cycling. Try removing the pump from the base ,leave the wires connected and see if it still cycles.

Back