Big Qualicum

G

GMac

Is it just my interpretation or before Oct 15 the only place you can fish on the Big Q downstream of the 19A bridge...you know 300 yards of water through the native campsite?? Where should a guy try? On a side note the hatchery is an impressive facility.

GMac

The river opens on the 15th to fish right below the hatchery with gear correct? Also does anyone know if the return of coho on the big Q is supposed to be better this year because last year was a huge disappointment for the hatchery!

I'm not sure the following is absolutely correct, so comments are welcome.

Until October 15 the river is fly only and is open above the hatchery. I think this means that you can fish the pool above the hatchery and below the E&N bridge also. The hatchery lets a certain number of salmon through (I thought I heard 2,000) and then strips the rest.

From Oct 15, the portion of the river downstream of the counting fence to the boundary of the reserve opens, and the entire river is open to gear.

From October 15 the fishing becomes a bit of a zoo and is shoulder to shoulder with gear fishing.

Last Saturday I did see a couple of people fishing with gear below the counting fence near the reserve boundary. Two COs came up as I watched and checked them out. Looked like they received presents from the COs, and lost some gear.

The circus has begun. I saw a lot of patient men at the Big Q this afternoon, 1 coho, lots of chinooks and some scrappy chum.

GMac

chinooks were probably pretty rotten looking yeh!! sweeeeet!!! good job catching those boots in a piece of water no bigger than a ditch. thats the way real fishermen do it yahhhh!!!:(:(thats sad

C'mon, I just recently moved here from Edmonton so I get excited if I see a dead salmon on the side of the river!! lol

thats why i asked if they were boots because he said that he caught two beautiful springs out of there. I call bull!! I dont care how nice they are there the fact of the matter is, brendon could catch fish out of there.( my nine month old son)to bad they call that fishing. gives us all a bad rep. flossing isnt

Went out to check out the beach this morning around Nile creek nada so I thought Im going to check out the Big Q so I drove down to the hatchery and walked to the river what I seen was just disgusting what a snag fest thats just ridiculous how do they allow that. There is something seriously wrong with our fisheries program anyone with any morals wouldnt be caught fishing there

I concur Darmin, I walked down the other day on my way back from up North and it was elbow to elbow bootsnaggers....doesn't anyone fish up above in the fly-only section?

Was at the gong show for a few hours tuesday morning and it was ridiculous, saw only one jack caught and the rest were all chums and springs, mostly snagged. I personally think they should close the Q for retenton of coho, with the low returns so far and low water conditions. The daily quota is 4 coho right now which i think is pretty stupid, and the main reason why its such a gong show. I doubt i'll be back there this year.

Back