Big Chinook

It would seem we have the technology even now to freeze eggs and sperm and Salmon DNA samples like a seed bank and with advances in science may be able to do a lot of restoration work in the future that is not currently possible. One wonders if our governments are doing any of that, especially with the large Chinook genetics and Steelhead?

A transplant of brood from Argentina and Chile rivers. That isn't a stupid idea either it could be done.

I would like to see it attempted.

Also the dams need to go.

Remember South America has fish farms and all these things as well. But Argentina has prime habitat.

A transplant of brood from Argentina and Chile rivers. That isn't a stupid idea either it could be done.

I would like to see it attempted.

Also the dams need to go.

Remember South America has fish farms and all these things as well. But Argentina has prime habitat.

I asked this same question earlier in the season on this forum.

I am telling you it isn't that far fetched. Here is the lineage of some of the stocks in South America. These stocks that are down there were taken from these systems.

View attachment 48059

Here is the paper on this https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-14465-y
Another awesome attempt by man to royally overturn the natural order of things on the planet. However I suppose given enough fu's every once in a while man can accidently cause something good to happen. This time it looks like our insanity may have accidentally created a highly adaptive chinook super race. It also may be they are doing well because of a lack of predators. Do they have an abundance of predators like our seal & sea lion populations & northern killer whales? The idea of a reverse transplant back to north America is ironic. If this is a new highly adaptive chinook super race then there is everything to gain and not much to lose by a conducting a transplant trial back to a few troubled NA rivers. It is worth noting these SA chinook are doing well where there are fewer humans and intact natural ecosystems. Climate change does not appear to be affecting SA chinook. It should tell us that if we clean up our act in NA river/ocean management the chinook will come back. Regardless the differences between SA and NA chinook population trends are very interesting and could give us important clues on how to restore NA chinook. Very interesting stuff.

Back