Better luck with beards, moustache or shaven?

Reel Time

My annual fishing trip with friends from Lethbridge is next week. We have fished clean shaven before and usually do allright. 2 of the last 3 years we have grown moustaches and it seemed the bigger springs preferred this over clean shaven. Well this year we all figured we should try full beards. My question is, has anyone else had different luck on the water in regards to their shaving status.
With full beards, I would hope we attract the more mature and knowledgeable springs. Heading to the west coast next week, I will report back after with results. Any insight is appreciated such as should we shave angular cut side burns? Or semi goatee... cheers

Full heavily stumbled face is working this year....and working well I might add. There has been a big shift of moustaches on to the freshwater scene, particularly the crappie tournament scene.

Moustaches require maintenance which could involve bringing a razor on a guys fishing trip....to be honest, that's just silly. :p

Bear in mind there is a fine line between good thick stubble and looking like a bunch of hipsters out on the water! If anyone has their hair in a 'top-knot'...leave them at home.:p

Wow, humans sure do come in different shapes and sizes and preferences, don't they!

I would use my last liter of fresh water and shave on the back deck in a thunderstorm before dropping my gear into the water---clean shaven all the way! On the river, ALL the big doe steelhead I've hooked over the years were hooked immediately after shaving-- chicks don't like the stubble stuff going on--it feels uncomfortable on their maxillae

Salt chuck-- same deal. When I do my Central Coast trips every summer, I don't even think about the dawn assaults during a perfect tide changes unless I'm stubble-free. It's a ritual--go ashore, find a small creek, heat up some creek water with the white gas stove, get all lathered up, lay a mirror down on a seaweed covered rock and get all sleek and shiny for the big springs

If I end up shooting blanks on a tide change, it was because of the stubble. No doubt. Damn it all, I knew I should have taken the time to get out the razor. I might as well have chugged a six pack of banana juice when I got lazy and blew off the shaving ritual!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, humans sure do come in different shapes and sizes and preferences, don't they!

I would use my last liter of fresh water and shave on the back deck in a thunderstorm before dropping my gear into the water---clean shaven all the way! On the river, ALL the big doe steelhead I've hooked over the years were hooked immediately after shaving-- chicks don't like the stubble stuff going on--it feels uncomfortable on their maxillae

Salt chuck-- same deal. When I do my Central Coast trips every summer, I don't even think about the dawn assaults during a perfect tide changes unless I'm stubble-free. It's a ritual--go ashore, find a small creek, heat up some creek water with the white gas stove, get all lathered up, lay a mirror down on a seaweed covered rock and get all sleek and shiny for the big springs

If I end up shooting blanks on a tide change, it was because of the stubble. No doubt. Damn it all, I knew I should have taken the time to get out the razor. I might as well have chugged a six pack of banana juice when I got lazy and blew off the shaving ritual!

That's awesome advice, I take it to heart, very detailed. I understand one may have better success shaven over bearded, although you did not share if you have ever gone fishing with a full beard? This would allow the reader to make a comparison based on your experiences...I do agree, stuble is not the way to go, it looks lazy like your a in-betweener and cant make up your mind, therefore the fish have no respect for you. A good groomed beard will be tested next week, maybe we will fish in proximity to clean shaven boaters and see how we do...

A full beard makes a man look more intelligent-and well----manly. This ain't about "chicks don't like the stubble stuff going on--it feels uncomfortable on their maxillae" This is about slaying and ambush!! Can't have sun flashing off a clean shaven face to alert the slabs!! Beards do it-shave when you get home-or keep it til next time for double the effect. Can't extoll the food and beer catching ability of a beard enough plus you look the same going in fishing as coming out which is much neater than your scruffy looking fishing partners who are stubbled up!! It takes talent to grow a good beard so if you have it-flaunt it!!

Advantage of heavy stubble....and I mean at least a weeks growth is the sun can still get thru to a tan. Should you have to shave when back in the big city of Lethbridge you will only have raccoon eyes from your shades...and not just brown cheeks and nose with a line where your beard was.

Although its all about the fishing for a number of days some have challenges when trying assimilate back into society.

But I do believe that with heavy stubble to a beard you look like you know what you're doing and fish appreciate that. Clean shaven makes them think they have a city slicker reeling them in and lack respect of the rod holder; hooks get spit much more quickly. (Except for Sharphooks as I have seen pics of his adventures ;) )

No mention above about landing strips or hardwood floors for our guests .......

They are from Lethbridge.....that would soar over their heads. :p ;) Hahaha. :D

Unless.....high tide are we talking moustache versus clean shaven? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are from Lethbridge.....that would soar over their heads. :p ;) Hahaha.

They are from Lethbridge, Iam out of Nanaimo... That said, they are very ugly clean shaven and could spook the fish, having a beard should hide their ugly faces making them more presentable, sort of like having the right roll on your chovie.

They are from Lethbridge, Iam out of Nanaimo... That said, they are very ugly clean shaven and could spook the fish, having a beard should hide their ugly faces making them more presentable, sort of like having the right roll on your chovie.

Well that certainly makes sense!!

I think you also should factor in where you are fishing and are any of the prairie folk pukers when on the water? Heavy stubble versus heavy beard offers a cleaner trajectory when offloading breakfast. ;)

Well that certainly makes sense!!

I think you also should factor in where you are fishing and are any of the prairie folk pukers when on the water? Heavy stubble versus heavy beard offers a cleaner trajectory when offloading breakfast. ;)
I beg to differ-a full beard when well dressed and slick with bacon drippings from breakfast will admirably and efficiently shed any puke from a prairie fisherman or any other fisherperson for that matter!!

I beg to differ-a full beard when well dressed and slick with bacon drippings from breakfast will admirably and efficiently shed any puke from a prairie fisherman or any other fisherperson for that matter!!

As long as it doesn't get on your new coat!!! ;)

I find that if you know how, where and when to fish, facial hair is not a factor. If you're missing any of those critical elements, you may look better with facial hair in the photos of you not catching fish or holding up a bunch of pinks. :D

I find that if you know how, where and when to fish, facial hair is not a factor. If you're missing any of those critical elements, you may look better with facial hair in the photos of you not catching fish or holding up a bunch of pinks. :D

Trust me, from some of the stories I have heard, you need not to know how to fish or where, as long as you have a beard you can nail them. Legend stories say that a good beard will out-fish knowledge and skill on any given day. I am putting this to the test next week.

Trust me, from some of the stories I have heard, you need not to know how to fish or where, as long as you have a beard you can nail them. Legend stories say that a good beard will out-fish knowledge and skill on any given day. I am putting this to the test next week.

Now there is a well thought out axiom to live by -almost as good as "Old age and treachery will always outfish (and anything else) youth and skill any day!"

Back