Best rough water boat 24 feet or under

Just did a gruelling 4 hour run from Powell River to Ladysmith mid day today and damn I wish I had a Monaro to blast through that crap! :)
All kidding aside the run up on Wednesday into 18 knot winds across the Georgia Straight and the run back even a little sportier gave me new appreciation of my boat. It also made me make a new rule: 10 knots max forecast before I do that run again.

In the interest of sharing my observations I believe the fact that I don’t have too sharp of an entry saved me from some hard rolls today in some of the deeper quartering waves. I don’t know that any 24’ boat would have had an easy go of it in today’s conditions.
What size is the campion in feet? Man, she’s a looker!

What size is the campion in feet? Man, she’s a looker!
Appreciate that Stizzla, she’s a 24’ boat from back of transom to bow but where it’s measured with the anchor pulpit and outboard bracket can be all over the place. When I was at Lions Bay Marina they measured me at 28’2” from anchor pulpit to back of outboard and I come in a whisker under 30’ for moorage with the outboard tilted up.

How long is/was your hourston? the deeper V must ride nice, is it tippier at low speed? Have you been on a newer 228? I think yours was before they changed the hulls (1992ish).

always thought the 232 was bit short and stout but I'm sure it's a treat when drifting and trolling.
The new SV2 228 hull isn't much different I've been on one a bunch. Not bad boat, but not significantly better than the older Grady hull which is great. Had the old hull it's good and tough perfect if the #1 priority is fishing. Not a good camping boat the walk around is a waste of valuable space and there is limited room in the cockpit area.
My Hourston is small a 20ft with 2 extra feet added to the stern. Small beam under 8ft, and 20deg deadrise at stern and fine entry at the bow. it has its limitations but continues to impress me with the abuse it can handle. Perfect for 2 people to fish. More tippy than the GW or whalers but it's all part of the compromise. It doesn't really bother me it's still a nice boat to fish from and so easy to trailer and launch.

The 232 is again an awesome fishing boat but for me, the interior space in the cockpit is too limited for size/required hp. Good charter boat know lots of guys that are very happy with them.

i believe the word is "quick", i laugh when i see "tippy"

a narrow deep vee pencil boat is "quick"or tippy. (these travel far better in chop/swell. might also knife tho in a following sea.
a wide beam stubby is a stable or steady boat. plows into waves and slams when there isnt a back on the wave. . they dont move much when everyone wants to see the fish getting netted. rides better in a following sea like a surfboard.

a narrow deep vee pencil boat is "quick"or tippy. (these travel far better in chop/swell. might also knife tho in a following sea.
a wide beam stubby is a stable or steady boat. plows into waves and slams when there isnt a back on the wave. . they dont move much when everyone wants to see the fish getting netted. rides better in a following sea like a surfboard.
Like mine! I'll take slappy over tippy any day. The Shockwave solved the back issues lol.

If money were no object, the boat for me would be a 25’ Hunt Harrier. I covet those boats.
Oh man, you sent me down a rabbit hole or two with this.
That boat reminded me of a Limestone, which I like, except for the outdrive jack shaft.
Then I found a Bruckmann B-28.
All beauty boats that need to wait for the Powerball win!!

I made the mistake of going out on one of these in Cabo. Way out of my price range but loved it

There was one in renfrew in the beginning of aug, flying the USA flag, nice boat

Your boat is cool. I saw it at mills landing but didn't know it belonged to you. I had questions, it seems rare. What type of boat? I guess a baja or something. How is it in rough water. You went offshore when most others weren't going That day.

I made the mistake of going out on one of these in Cabo. Way out of my price range but loved it

This listing is very nice. Still has the peninsular marinized diesel.
Lots of money for that engine.
I think yanmar has a good replacement for that GM diesel.
Great layout and tough boat, liveable.
I am always looking at 31TE listings.

Like mine! I'll take slappy over tippy any day. The Shockwave solved the back issues lol.

Rigging also matters. Two legs are much harder to push sideways.

Your boat is cool. I saw it at mills landing but didn't know it belonged to you. I had questions, it seems rare. What type of boat? I guess a baja or something. How is it in rough water. You went offshore when most others weren't going That day.
thanks, i am really liking it.. baja 251. driver sits pretty high without there being a step up on the deck. rides nice out there.

I sold a Pursuit 2350 earlier this year, it was an inboard that I podded and put on a yammy 250. It was about 30’ from pulpit to the end of engines, 8’6” beam. It was a fantastic boat to fish out of once the doghouse was removed. Huge dance floor.
It was an unbelievable boat in rough water as well, as good as any boat it’s size, 3’ chop was nothing and was smooth at 28 to 30 mph. Cheap to run.
I upgraded to a Pursuit 2870 with twin 300’s, I’ve always wanted one so I said screw it and bought it. It does not disappoint, it’s obviously more expensive to run, but we’re talking boats here so that’s expected. This thing is a beast, just ran across the Salish this weekend, Nanoose to Secret Cove to meet up with some buds to go golfing, 5’ seas horrible se winds, cruising at 26 to 28 mph, very impressive.
Huge dance floor and space 9’ beam, makes fishing trips with buddies and coolers and all the gear that much easier to deal with.
I’d go Pursweet for sure.

Back