Best rough water boat 24 feet or under

Brett83

Hey, always in the boat market. In your opinion what is the best boat in rough water. Fishing boat, I'm sure there's an argument for fiberglass versus aluminum. But also in those materials what would the best Hull design be. Ie.Grady White, Boston, offshore aluminum. I currently own a 20 foot aluminum. Thinking about a 24 aluminum.

My vote for the one of the best all around boats for this rainforest we live in would be a 24’ Skagit Orca. There may be boats that ride better like those center consoles they run in Florida and maybe a Grady in that size but running anything that relies on canvas to keep you dry while sitting at the helm on the west coast is less than ideal in my opinion. I’ve never been in a 24’ Northwest aluminum but if I had the cash that’d be high on my list too.

Virtually an impossible question to answer. You’re going to get a different point of view from everyone and you know why,, cause there is no such thing as the best boat or perfect boat that’s why the make so many different styles, that’s why I own 4 of them. There are hull styles better suited for rough open water but then the rest of the boat does not necessarily match rough, open water. Like stated above with the Skagit Orca, great boat but maybe rougher than some. What you have to find (and good luck with this as well, I haven’t found it ) the boat that fits your use and your needs and likes. With these couple things in mind, generally speaking a steep hull angle, heavier glassed boat will be better suited and have a better ride in rough water.

206 Double Eagle hull has been around since mid '70's I know your thinking 24 but I've owned one (older with I/O but same hull) traveled up and down the coast. Hull will take anything, it's the guy behind the wheel that usually chickens out. Double Eagle's probably the best West Coast hull ever built, better flare to the hull then Hourston, no wet windshield. Grady's are a great boat to fish out of, lots of space big dance floor but are prone to rot, extremely heavy and you pay for the name. I know that's a bold statement but Double Eagle has survived the test of time and they have a true following still today. Solid hand laid hull, not fancy, no frills but will always get you to the grounds and ho,e again. Just my opinion from what I've seen over the years. I really wish Double Eagle chased the fishing/guide boat market a bit more. Could you imagine the 20,22 and 24 Double Eagle hull with the Grady style layout. That would have been a tank. Thanks for asking the question I'm sure there will be lots of posts, great topic.

As a general rule of thumb:
- fiberglass rides better than aluminum. Compound curves allow more freedom with the hull shape and are typically heavier
- more deadrise cuts through waves better than less, but will require more fuel
- less beam cuts through waves better than more beam, with the trade off of being less stable side-to-side
- in that size boat, trim tabs will belt ALOT

IMO, in that size bracket tough to beat a Pursuit 2470 or 255 or a Grady White Gulfstream 232. The Pursuit is a bit longer than 24’ and the Grady carries quite a bit of beam for its size (9’3”). I have been in 2470 out of Tofino in some sporty conditions and was quite impressed (that model seems to be particularly popular there with the local guides). I haven’t been in an Gulfstream but they seem to be well regarded.

I haven’t ridden in a 23’ Hourston, but I’m sure someone will post that they are the best riding boat made since Noah built his ark...

I’m assuming you are looking for a WA/express/pilot house type boat and not a center/dual console, catamaran, etc.

Last edited:
If the border was open,I would own a 25 Farallon Whaleback today,but a lucky yank got it.I've been on a 24 Orca out to Swiftsure,quality boat but I wasn't overly impressed with the ride.I think an extra couple of feet makes a huge difference in the ride,27 Orca or Seasport,Pursuit 25 Ft.+,Grady 24+,Hydrasport 26+,Wellcraft Coastal 25+.Robalo 24+.I'm very happy with my 21 1/2 Aquasport which is essentially a Wellcraft 22,but I wouldn't compare it to my other suggestions.A 24 is my max for trailering,but the best riding boats start at about that size.

Id say take a ride on my boat otherwise (its a pretty rare donzi walkaround hull) I'd suggest a 232 grady gulfstream

I’m bias but Hourston hands down. Lol. Really though for Pacific Northwest weather a fiberglass fully enclosed cabin. Like others I think a fiberglass boat rides better in the rough. Orcas, Seasports, DoubleEagles and Hourstons would all be on my list.

So far we've looked a bit at Duckworth 24 Pacific navigator. And a couple more aluminum options. But since I've posted this I've been looking at the Skagit orca. Very nice

I like Whalers; therefore, the shape of the Ironwood is intriguing. Never been on one.

I’m going on my 5th season with a 24 foot Skagit Orca. To paraphrase Walleyes, there is no such animal as the “best” boat. One way or the other, all boat ownership is a compromise .

The Orca was designed with chasing albacore in mind so the designers put steep chine and an aggressive bow in the boat for cutting through big water. It does that, and it does that well. Last year I made the crossing from Ucluelet to the Broken Group and it was blowing a steady 30 knts from the NW. Everything was fine in the big swells but there were some talk-to-Jesus moments when I approached the narrow pass between Clark and Benson Islands. Those big swells were stacking up on a shallow rock shelf that sticks out on both sides of that pass and instantly they became breaking 8 footers. Going into them was sketchy but manageable. The talk-to-Jeseus part of the trip was once I got past them and they became a following sea. The calm water once I got through the pass couldn’t have come quick enough.

That’s the compromise part when you buy the “best” boat—-In following seas, the 24 foot Orca can be a downright scary boat to drive. You can trim up your tabs and trim up the leg of your motor but when you skate down the face of a wave with that aggressive bow, (the one that gave you so much confidence pounding in to the big seas,) it will become your nemesis as it sloughs off to port or starboard without warning once it buries into the trough.

I have had numerous following-seas experiences in that boat. Lots of throttle chopping and wheel-turning and heart-thumping going on......My boat prior to the Orca—-a 21 foot Arima—-you needed a kidney belt going in to big water but it was a rubber duck in following seas—-I always felt safe and in control when the water came in behind me

That’s all part of that compromise when you’re trying to decide on a boat. You have to get the one that ticks off the most boxes of what you’re looking for. It will never tick off all the boxes (unless you decide to belly up to the bar, break out the 1/2 big one that was supposed to be for the new house you promised your wife, and spring for that 30 ft Ocean Roamer with the quad Yamahas )

Me, I just liked the look of the Orca, especially the bow and the wheelhouse with the heavy-duty glass —it looked like a bad-butt rig. Once that box was ticked, I reached for my wallet....ha ha

Just my .02 cents, subject to crappy currency conversion rates....

Last edited:
Id say take a ride on my boat otherwise (its a pretty rare donzi walkaround hull) I'd suggest a 232 grady gulfstream

Both good choices, I've been on a 232 gulfstream in nasty chop and it was pretty sweet, it handled really well. I guess I'd have to take a chain saw to take 2' off my boat but that's a strong candidate. I like to use the tabs to put tension down on the hull as things get spotty and ya, I get the boat washed but it just cuts through no problem. I'd look at a scout if you can find one too.

I’ve been really happy with the performance of my trophy 2359 in nasty waters. Does well off shore or in the straight.

Best rough water boat 24 feet or under
For me regardless of make, one must for me is no open bow. It is not if but you will take a wave over the bow.

one 1' more but b25 Bertram and i have yet to get mine on the water ....lol

Stabicraft gets my vote. If aluminum is what your after. Otherwise a rib built by Titan with an aluminum cabin. If your chucking around a quarter mill

I'm curious to hear from any Monaro boat owners on this one, especially the 21- 24 foot boat.
I've often wondered if they live up to the hype about them being such a great rough water boat.

Back