best rod for downrigging/mooching

Still fishing and abusing factory 3106 sages that I bought in 2004....they have been to sage once in the last 16 years for a refit. I guided with 4110 sages for 3 years without an issue. The sage gear rods are fairly low modules graphite with a bunch of glass in there....they are very tough. Yes the guides can be a bit of problem sometimes but they are easy to fix. The new fleet of 3113 mooching rods I just built all have titanium deep pressed guides which are really amazing for corrosion resistance. I have yet to fish a better saltwater rod...tried lots and nothing really compared. Rainshadow does make a nice blank though....

yup might just be the winner in the 9’ fibreglass category for me , with a 100$ pricetag and being a tried and true old standby , always liked em and ran them religiously with my MR3’s pre-TR3 days , also i could keep my total under 1000$ in case i deepsix another one.
3 medium heavy rods and a medium light for coho, sure is a crazy price point and such a great looking rod, cork handle, i call it my cheap
Sage looking rod, wicked back bone and tip..

yup might have a pick a couple up , i was looking for the rapala classic moocher with the large cork grips but i don’t think they sell them anymore , i really like the light feel of the 9’ okuma’s but not sure i like foam for grips. theres a nice one somewhere in the bottom of the broken group ..

Techniums don't have titanium guides. They have carbide guides......totally different animal. Glad you guys like em.....I can't stand the huge flat spot at the joint....

Techniums don't have titanium guides. They have carbide guides......totally different animal. Glad you guys like em.....I can't stand the huge flat spot at the joint....
God that drives me nuts too when rods do that.

Fenwick HMX and Shimano Convergence for me and my son when we are fishing. 2 TDRs when we have other people fishing. They’re all very good and reasonably priced.

yup might have a pick a couple up , i was looking for the rapala classic moocher with the large cork grips but i don’t think they sell them anymore , i really like the light feel of the 9’ okuma’s but not sure i like foam for grips. theres a nice one somewhere in the bottom of the broken group ..
Can't imagine the numb feeling of dropping a rod a reel in the depths, i've dropped pliers, Dexter knives, throwing a crab back and the little **** had his claws gripped on a set of nice long needle nose pliers.. gone loll was pretty funny.. come close to loosing a rod from a coho surface attack

Can't imagine the numb feeling of dropping a rod a reel in the depths, i've dropped pliers, Dexter knives, throwing a crab back and the little **** had his claws gripped on a set of nice long needle nose pliers.. gone loll was pretty funny.. come close to loosing a rod from a coho surface attack
yes I think i was more madd about losing the ripper spring salmon attached to other end of it that had just made a couple epic runs, but there was definitely a brief pause of numbness and disbelief for sure , There is another Islander in my very near future.

Anyone out there have a Fenwick 1264 or 1262 they want to sell. Also looking for Hardy 1010. I’m a glass guy, old school.

Still fishing and abusing factory 3106 sages that I bought in 2004....they have been to sage once in the last 16 years for a refit. I guided with 4110 sages for 3 years without an issue. The sage gear rods are fairly low modules graphite with a bunch of glass in there....they are very tough. Yes the guides can be a bit of problem sometimes but they are easy to fix. The new fleet of 3113 mooching rods I just built all have titanium deep pressed guides which are really amazing for corrosion resistance. I have yet to fish a better saltwater rod...tried lots and nothing really compared. Rainshadow does make a nice blank though....
I fished down south a couple years ago and stayed where rainshadows are made (like we watched dude making some up for a lodge). Nice little family run operation. Custom rods for every taste/application. Fished rainshadows for tuna, fantastic Light rods.

Last edited:
Back