best rod for downrigging/mooching

wildthing

money no object what would be your top choice in a downrigger/mooching rod

be it a custom blank or off the shelf ready made rod

i know sage blanks are rated up there but what other contenders would folks go for

i have my harrison's 12 'footers 2 -3/4 lb tc that i used back in the UK for carpin that have been stripped and i re-whipped new trolling guides and trigger reel seats gimbal butts are my babes
so having them for close to 20 yrs to much sentimental history to change them out.

Wow, that is a large topic. I have lots and lots of rods - in fact I could be called a tackle horder...new reality show. That said, for the money I would never fish anything other than a production rod. Not worth it to have a custom built as it is too easy to break them on a boat, and I have them, and don't fish them anymore for that reason. So for choice it comes down to the action you like. I like a soft action 10.5 foot mooching rod. Recently Rapala introduced the Classic Moocher in two versions a light and medium light action. Both are excellent choices for me. Fished them now for 2 seasons, not one issue.

Yes, agree on the Technium rod as well. Both are great products and action in my books. One issue I forgot to mention is reason the graphite rods are trouble on boats is the constant vibration and tapping of rod on the boat while it is in motion causes breakage issues.

Yep had a couple break from tap or hitting them on the side of the boat and then with very little stress they snap!!! For me I would buy a good rod like the Rapala Classic and spend the extra money on tackle or on gas for another trip.

Boats and expensive rods don't seem like a good mix. Throw in a downrigger and you're asking for trouble. I have high-end Sage and G.Loomis rods that will never get into my boat simply because I know I'd end up breaking them

I have a 10 1/2" Shimano Convergence that I paid $ 69.00 for that I now consider a meat-and-potatoes boat rod (mooching or downrigger use). I also have a couple of 6ft fiberglass rods rated for 20 lb test (also Shimano) that I probably paid even less for. AS long as they keep swimming springs into the net , I'll keep using them. If they break, well, they served me well and the price was right

One day I'll hook a major slab and will probably regret not having a higher-end stick with more lifting power (the Shimano convergence is like wet spaghetti in that department).

But I try and make up for that by spooling with high-end line, minimum 40 lb test, that is checked and rechecked and swapped out if I think it's the least bit worn

Last edited by a moderator:
Lamiglass (model 1064) are great rods but a bit pricey. Really any quality 'fibreglass' is the way to go for mooching or downriggin. They take a beating but still have enough power to handle good size fish. Medium/heavy for the bigger guys.

I have a relatively small boat (16' Calais) so the rods I chose had to be a manageable length and durable because there isn't a lot of room and things can get scrunched - reasonable cost was the other factor...rods for me were the Fenwick HMX 1265 at 10.5 length. I have had mine for 3 seasons and so far so good. Berry's Bait had them on sale most of last year for $99.

Shimano Techniums here. Damn good rods, I find. Just stay away from the models with the "all silver Eyes" they are garbage eyes, stick to the ceramic. Any thing else is too much $ to have a buddy or client either deep six it or wreck it. Hey Owen D, did you get my PM about guiding?

sort of on topic,, anyone know what material is used besides foam or cork for downrigger use? (BUT ONLY)... saw some rods with what looks like fibreglass but or is it carbon fibre? and what brand are they? saw them specificaly on big coast.... prolly too high buck for me and my use but definately curious?????

sort of on topic,, anyone know what material is used besides foam or cork for downrigger use? (BUT ONLY)... saw some rods with what looks like fibreglass but or is it carbon fibre? and what brand are they? saw them specificaly on big coast.... prolly too high buck for me and my use but definately curious?????

These maybe?? Never seen personally, but I think they are somewhat popular with the guys south of the border. http://www.fethastyx.com/shop/CCA/Salmon/Downrigger

Tim was using Gloomis for the longest time, I see now they are using one Fethastyx too

Fish two 12' Sage customs with Islanders, had them for twenty years, but only when the crew aboard is experienced. Touch wood never a problem yet, newbies aboard get the Techniums 10'6". Match the rods to the crew & the bait to the fish.

I don't mind the Convergence, but did see one blow up and give the guy a nasty gash on the cheek when clearing it too aggressively from the clip. The rest of the crew would have voted to keep fishing till we limited out so it was fortunate for him his eyeball was an inch higher.

Lamiglass (model 1064) are great rods but a bit pricey. Really any quality 'fibreglass' is the way to go for mooching or downriggin. They take a beating but still have enough power to handle good size fish. Medium/heavy for the bigger guys.

Just ordered 3 of these, made a deal with lamiglas though so push them at shows and what not and get them for dirt cheap...love it!!! I'm really excited to use them as they seem like great rods, although I'll still use my sage's first, old man will be using these though :)

Blew a convergence up last June when tripping off clip...46lb Chinook on the end of it...lucky the woman fighting it somehow managed to get er in!!! Also had a sage blow up that way...thank goodness for lifetime warranty :D Oh, and one of Richmake's Rogue's snapped in half when tripping off downrigger, obviously I need to stop going to the gym LOL

Back