Best EVA foam deck covering for DIY

Rayvon

I plan on using EVA on the deck of my Searay project boat.Anyone recommend a good brand to buy? Amazon sells lots but not clear on which is better.The boat just needs some updating,so I want the best product available,and don't want to pay someone else to do the install.

I did Seadek on last boat and it held up well. It is expensive however I bought it on a Black Friday for half price.

I grabbed a few of these to try, however have not had the time yet to play with it. I will say the material feels nice, however the edges are cut all different and a tad uneven. So when joining 2 side by side will take some straight line cuts to match the black indented groove join with the other adjoining piece. If that makes sense.

I plan on using EVA on the deck of my Searay project boat.Anyone recommend a good brand to buy? Amazon sells lots but not clear on which is better.The boat just needs some updating,so I want the best product available,and don't want to pay someone else to do the install.
Hey Ray,
I experimented with a section of the eva faux teak and it’s not bad (I can’t vouch for longevity) but the factory adhesive backing is terrible! There is some online information where people are using outdoor carpet glue, the nasty yellow stinky neoprene stuff with decent results.
If you want, I have a small piece I could leave on your boat so you can see the product in the flesh?

Let me know.

Thanks "Brando",I saw the Vevor product on Amazoon and it was more expensive. I was thinking of using my router to do the edges with the product double sided taped to a straight edge or curved backer.

that might work well ray I used there eva and have been pretty happy with it. It’s not up to par with the ultra deck but it’s much cheaper and easy enough to replace. 3m high strength spray adhesive is another good option if you find there’s areas peeling up.

I'm pretty sure most of the Amazon Eva's come from the same factory. I used permatex spray adhesive on mine and it's still good after 3 years...the adhesive they come with won't hold up in the marine environment. You can buy a 45 degree eva foam cutter on amazon for a nice beveled edge, that's what I did. I tried edge sealing a piece or two with silicone, don't bother, it didn't make a difference.

i have a few rolls of fleabay. it was cheap and it works extremely well. BUT if youre doing it new i would recommend cork instead of eva foam/seadek. cork is supposed to last longer. my eva foam has lasted 5 years so far like a champ but cork is supposed to last 20 years. ive ordered cork for the new boat. https://www.jelinek.com/aquacork

For the edges I used sikka to make it even as it was for the piece of alum that covered the engine hatch so I knew i was goona keep hitting it with my feet as its about a 1/2 inch higher then the floor 3 years no problem and HEAVY use.
Dont mind the old flooring that was after hauling engine out and all the contruction 3 years ago floor was filthy it cleans up great FYI
1693531508199.png

I was waiting for you to chime in. I don't see why sika wouldnt be the problem solver. Makes a mess of factory nonskid gelcoat on alot of sport boats though. For a permanent solution on a flat surface, prepped properly I don't see why sika would not work here.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the sphagetti woven Aquamat? A friend loves it in his boat. Any review or installation advice will be welcomed!

Has anyone used the sphagetti woven Aquamat? A friend loves it in his boat. Any review or installation advice will be welcomed!
As nice as that stuff is on your feet and looks great, I've seen this all over the map on pleasure boats, it's not good for a fish boat. End of story. Not nice. Collects alot of materials

As nice as that stuff is on your feet and looks great, I've seen this all over the map on pleasure boats, it's not good for a fish boat. End of story. Not nice. Collects alot of materials
Thanks! This application would be for a cruiser.

It would cetainly be a poor choice for a fish boat, with all the scales, blood and guts. The vinyl decking in ours is great.

Thanks! This application would be for a cruiser.

It would cetainly be a poor choice for a fish boat, with all the scales, blood and guts. The vinyl decking in ours is great.
In that case it's a really nice product. Looks great, feels great on your feet, and not a permanent install. Lays down like a rug. Easy to cut and etch. All of those things

Back