Best Aftermarket Transducer for Lowrance HDS

Mudslide

I'm going to upgrade to the Gen2 HDS 10 this Spring. I've been using the stock 50/200 transducer which has been alright. I started looking at the Airmar Transducers and also the Navico versions which look just like re-badged Airmars. It's a little bit confusing choosing between all the various models. I have a welded Aluminium Crestliner. Has anyone gone from stock to the Airmars and have you notice a significant difference. Looking for experiences of others.
Thanks
Mud

Airmar 744 is probably the best one for the money. 12 degree cone angle using 200khz. Not just a little better than the one that comes with it.
If money isn't a concern and you fish under 300feet of water then ss270w is the ultimate. The 270 is a 25 degree cone angle using 200khz. These two transducers are the best for seeing salmon on the west coast.
If you you are looking for detail on the bottom then I would say a transducer with a smaller cone angle will give you a much better picture of what is going on under your boat rather than around your boat like the wider angle transducers. On my boat I now have the 744 on my hds 10 and b265 on my simrad. I can switch between the two depending on what I am looking to see. Both of these are through hulls mounted on brackets hanging off the back.
Port boat house sells the brackets to do this. It is Important that you isolate the dissimilar metals when you go this route.
It is night day difference between the airmar and the plastic stock transducer.

What I was told by the lowrance guys at the vancouver show and David Murphy has 1 on each of his boats was the best all round TD for our waters
was the b744 series airmar
I use an Airmar p79 on mine and love it but that wont do you any good with your Aluminum, if I do upgrade it will be to the one David recommended

Yes, both David and I have same unit and there is a difference. The new structure scan is a whole other level of high vis. You will need to build your own custom bracket to transom mount - it will need to be heavy duty.

I would Have to say that I'm a shallow water fisherman for sure. I live in Alberta and fish walleye a lot here. I also make it out to the Island at least once a year and fish off Renfrew. Too small of a boat to go very far offshore.

There is supposed to an announcement in the next week or so about a new version Gen2? of the Structurescan. I tried to pry some info out of the guy from Lowrance but that was all I got. I assume it will be more powerful with higher definition. I'm holding off on getting the structurescan till the new one is released. Bass Pro in Calgary was selling the old ones for 400 bucks after a 150 dollar rebate, but I think they are sold out.

Well this thread is perfect for me as I just broke off my ducer. I have a 16 double eagle which a a void so I think the through hull models are out. Has any body used the airmar p66 for a loran e hds7.

Back