Best 9’ rod for Islander tr3

DuroBoat

Well I took the summer off from work and helped my parents build a little cottage on their property in Sooke. I had a lot of fun but yesterday, out of the blue, they went to island outfitters and asked for the most expensive salmon reel they had as a gift to say thanks.. I got a tr3!!! I could never spend $1,064 on a reel but pretty pumped to get one as a gift. So my question, what 9’ rod would be a good match at either island outfitters or trotac? I prefer 9’ when I fish alone because I feel it’s a bit easier net fish but not adverse to a 10’6” rod I guess.

Attachments

• ABA6B1C8-52EE-4CBB-BA2B-E9E93555326C.jpeg
    ABA6B1C8-52EE-4CBB-BA2B-E9E93555326C.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 032559A5-B7EA-470B-9A0B-9AAADF8BDE29.jpeg
    032559A5-B7EA-470B-9A0B-9AAADF8BDE29.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 23
Don’t rush in to buying a new rod too quickly. Search around and see if you can find a 9 ft Hardy rod, or maybe a 10 ft version. They are really tremendous. Lots of power, lots of feel, and they bend right down to the cork. I have several of them, tho’ none of them are for sale.. Good luck with your search for the right rod…. Nice reel BTW.. Congrats

TFO 9' downrigger rods are good.
I have one, although I like a 10'6" rod better.

I'm with Scott here, tfo are my next rods, I'm using titan trophy now and had a sting of random failures but after replacing three end sections in short order they have been fine since and the action is great. Still, I find them untrustworthy so tfo will get my money next, again in 10' 6"...

I'm with Scott here, tfo are my next rods, I'm using titan trophy now and had a sting of random failures but after replacing three end sections in short order they have been fine since and the action is great. Still, I find them untrustworthy so tfo will get my money next, again in 10' 6"...
Unanimous (almost). Tfo 10’6” it is. Always good advice here..

I like the G Loomis 1265,I have a couple 10Ft.6" model,very well made dependable rod for the downrigger.

Well I took the summer off from work and helped my parents build a little cottage on their property in Sooke. I had a lot of fun but yesterday, out of the blue, they went to island outfitters and asked for the most expensive salmon reel they had as a gift to say thanks.. I got a tr3!!! I could never spend $1,064 on a reel but pretty pumped to get one as a gift. So my question, what 9’ rod would be a good match at either island outfitters or trotac? I prefer 9’ when I fish alone because I feel it’s a bit easier net fish but not adverse to a 10’6” rod I guess.
The longer rod actually makes netting a fish a bit easier solo as you can pull up a little higher, therefore you get more leverage and it brings the fish closer to you.
Technium med/heavy always gets my vote.

congrats on that amazing reel!

If I were you I would go down to Trotac and see Paul on Monday and look at all the options he has there. You have to look at all them and decide what works for you. A 10' 6 is easier to net a fish alone in my view. That is what I use.

Have look at the new R3EF rod if they have one. Also trophy make nice mooching rod that matches your reel.

Where did you get the replacement butts?

I can't run the Trophy Titan. I saw three of them snap. At $250.00 that seems a bit insane. I know these new gen has less problems, but not convinced yet.

Had three break on my boat. Two 1st generation and one second generation (thank god they weren't mine). The best rod Trophy has isn't the Titan. Its the original one they started out with in the 9' or 10'6.

A have three of them 12+ years old. If they changed colors to what the Titans looked like they would sell tons. I never understood why they moved on too that rod when other was so good already.

I can't run the Trophy Titan. I saw three of them snap. At $250.00 that seems a bit insane. I know these new gen has less problems, but not convinced yet.

Had three break on my boat. Two 1st generation and one second generation (thank god they weren't mine). The best rod Trophy has isn't the Titan. Its the original one they started out with in the 9' or 10'6.

A have three of them 12+ years old. If they changed colors to what the Titans looked like they would sell tons. I never understood why they moved on too that rod when other was so good already.
I've snapped two but still can't change. No other rod has that sensitivity and backbone at the same time. Only my newer ones broke and both were replaced no questions asked.

Last edited:
Where did you get the replacement butts?

It took me a long time to come up with something appropriate give the massive softball served up here so I'm simply going to go with it wasn't the butt, it was just the tip...multiples exploded and high-water replaced them under warranty.

How's the cork holding up? One of mine is falling to pieces too..
I'll probably jinx myself, but it's just as good as the day I got it.
I think with most rods, it's not so much the rod as the holder
that causes most issues.
Once you ditch the tubes and start using use Strikers, no more damage.

Back