Best 6-8hp inflatable motor

kaelc

What are the best light weight short shaft motors out there? My brother has a 6hp Yamaha, which is the same as the 4hp, both with an internal gas tank. I'm thinking of a little more jam with an old 8hp 2 stroke?

What have you owned that has been super reliable and have enough juice to get a small inflatable on plane with 300lbs in it.

I have a 8hp Yamaha two stroke that was given to me. It planes with two adults and a 4 year old kid.

A built-in tank would be nice but it’s also nice to be able to put the gas tank where you want to offset the weight

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 33
What are the best light weight short shaft motors out there? My brother has a 6hp Yamaha, which is the same as the 4hp, both with an internal gas tank. I'm thinking of a little more jam with an old 8hp 2 stroke?

What have you owned that has been super reliable and have enough juice to get a small inflatable on plane with 300lbs in it.
Dad has a 6hp Honda for his 12' tinny. It's got the option for an external tank that we use and I don't think the internal tank has ever been used. Goes forever on a 12L tank but it's a little under powered for the size of the boat.

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke 8hp.
Internal tank with external plumbing too.
Nice flexibility for a dink.
It is still fun to run WOT by yourself.

That’s pretty light. Would be nice if the boat and engine are under 120lbs. Book another trip!
Pretty sure my inflatable weighs more than 120 lbs by itself. What boat do you have? Sounds too light for a 8hp

not sure if this still works, i had a 6hp yamaha and changed the jets, adjusted the throw on the throttle linkage and got a deeper pitched prop.
ran like a hot 8. lol

Nice one of the new 4 strokes with the built in tank? My brother could use that upgrade to his yami as he’s big and has 3 kids!
no , this was 5 boats ago.

Yeah pretty crazy pricing on the Costco one, just a little bigger than I’d like.
This one’s a nice size

I'd go with a new yamaha or suzuki for largest displacement and best low end torque:

Honda 5hp: 127cc / 3.7kw / 7.5 nm @ 4000rpm
Merc 6hp: 123cc / 4.41kw / 8.47nm @ 4000rpm
Suzuki 6hp: 138cc / 4.4kw / 9.1nm @ 3500rpm
Tohatsu: 6hp: 123cc / 4.4kw / 8.2nm @ 4000rpm
Yamaha: 6hp: 139cc / 4.4kw / 9nm @ 3344rpm

(https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-...ve-orders-my2023-spark-ignited-marine-engines)

It would be the most boring drag race in history, but racing is all about finding your edge.

An old 8hp 2-stroke Yamaha is going to run circles around any of these - but the short shaft ones are hard to find. I've been trolling craigslist for the past few months looking for an early 2000s short shaft 2-stroke yamaha for an old 12ft aluminum boat but haven't seen anything yet. Our old 9.9 evinrude from the early 1980s has finally given up the ghost...

Last edited:
PS - I talked to Nick at Maple Marine back in October and they were selling the DF6 short shaft for $1895. Not sure if those prices have held for the spring.

This one’s a nice size
Harbour chandler only has the slat one so no inflatable keel which is a killer for keeping straight when paddling and not really great at speed too. I like the nice size up in their air deck the 250. https://www.quicksilver-inflatables.com/airdeck-250-300-320

I've got an 8hp Nissan short, early 2000 model that I would probly part with. Was actually keeping it for myself however just upgraded to a larger tender that needs a 20inch. Nice little light Japanese 2 stroke.

Back