Belly up: Researchers studying effects of catch-and-release tournaments on fish

I disagree. Its already known and studies have been done in past. Over and over. My point is getting grant funding is out of control at a lot of university/college. I would rather see some of these grant go into more meaningful studies. If you even have been in secondary institutions these grants are hard to come by and many students can access them. You also have to ask why?

All the more reason to get DFO to move away from the stupid wild/hatchery rules for coho. Simply make it the first 2 coho you catch, you keep.

Would greatly reduce all the coho needlessly killed through fishers sifting through many wild fish to get their 1 or 2 hatchery coho! My 2 bits.

Last edited:
All the more reason to get DFO to move away from the stupid wild/hatchery rules for coho. Simply make it the first 2 coho you catch, you keep.

Would greatly reduce all the coho needlessly killed through fishers sifting through many wild fish to get their 1 or 2 hatchery coho! My 2 bits.

Salmon aren't susceptible to barotrauma, which is the root cause of fatalities in this study. So, the results of this study don't really apply at all to Salmon fishing.

Yes, it would be nice to keep some of the untagged mostly hatchery Coho out there. Coho fatalities can be almost totally avoided by using a single barbless siwash hook. With that hook in a hoochy the Coho are easily released without ever removing the fish from the water. All you have to do is grab the leader, slip a gaff under the hook and flip it off. Pretty easy and rarely results in harm to the fish. Just saying, if done properly it doesn't result in fatalities very often.

Salmon aren't susceptible to barotrauma, which is the root cause of fatalities in this study. So, the results of this study don't really apply at all to Salmon fishing.

Yes, it would be nice to keep some of the untagged mostly hatchery Coho out there. Coho fatalities can be almost totally avoided by using a single barbless siwash hook. With that hook in a hoochy the Coho are easily released without ever removing the fish from the water. All you have to do is grab the leader, slip a gaff under the hook and flip it off. Pretty easy and rarely results in harm to the fish. Just saying, if done properly it doesn't result in fatalities very often.

I could not agree more TBG as you describe it. However, the dirty reality is that in too many cases, trebles and tandem setups are used. This biggest problem I see though is, single hook or not, too many fisherman get caught up in the excitement of a fish to the boat (especially a larger fish) and its into the net and on the floor of the boat. At this point it is not good for mortality rates.

Unfortunately, I am not confident the vast majority of anglers are responsible/smart enough to fish as you describe. That is why I agree with WITW on this one. Makes more sense too when you consider most unmarked coho are probably unclipped hatchery fish nowadays anyways.

Yep... had friends in the C and R derby in vancouver a few weeks ago. They were left with a bad taste in there mouth after and will.not be doing it again. But a released fish does have more of a chamce of survival than a bonked one!!!!

A regulation that I would love to see here is wild salmon/steelhead can not be brought out of the water unless they are going to be harvested. Too many people killing fish just to get a picture...
Unfortunetly peoples egos are more important than the well being of the fish.

Yep... had friends in the C and R derby in vancouver a few weeks ago. They were left with a bad taste in there mouth after and will.not be doing it again. But a released fish does have more of a chamce of survival than a bonked one!!!!

A regulation that I would love to see here is wild salmon/steelhead can not be brought out of the water unless they are going to be harvested. Too many people killing fish just to get a picture...
Unfortunetly peoples egos are more important than the well being of the fish.

What exactly did your friends not like about the derby if you don't mind me asking. Did it take too long for the weigh boat to get to you and that was causing morts.

I totally agree on the non removal from the water for Salmon that are to be released. I know that makes it tough for guys with boats high up off the waterline, but then that is just another reason to use single barbless. Causing the death of a Salmon simply to get a picture is so unconscionable, and it should be illegal in my opinion. Stocks are not in good enough shape to support unnecessary mortalities on some runs. The release and slot regs were introduced to protect runs that are low in numbers. If the DFO sees the sport fleet as resulting in to high of mortality rates from poor release practices then they will completely close areas to fishing, (not just have slot limit or release regs) . So it's time to start handling fish more responsibly before whole swaths of the coast are shut down for fishing.

Just my opinion.

I watch salmon as they stage at estuarys ,catch a few.I watch others in rivers land a few aswell.The wound we leave on a released fish festers and molds quickly upon freash water.I don't know if the reproducing fish with wound mold is tranferable to healthy fish or are the molds that form on wounds on spawning salmon making our rivers and hatchery contaiment systems sick.

Yes, it would be nice to keep some of the untagged mostly hatchery Coho out there. .
What untagged hatchery coho are you referring to? Adipose clipped perhaps? Only unmarked coho I am aware of are the small PIP's and school releases that don't amount to much ... Afaik, all DFO hatchery coho are adipose clipped for easy identification.

Sorry, you are wrong.
Do your homework and you will find you are wrong.
DFO hatcheries do not mark all their coho. Have not for years.

What untagged hatchery coho are you referring to? Adipose clipped perhaps? Only unmarked coho I am aware of are the small PIP's and school releases that don't amount to much ... Afaik, all DFO hatchery coho are adipose clipped for easy identification.

Clipping the adipose fin at hatcheries takes a lot of volunteer time or money. A high percentage of released hatchery Coho are untagged these days. Odds are most of the untagged coho you are catching are not wild, but untagged hatchery fish. Depends on what area you fish as to how many are really wild fish.

Case in point the Jack Brooks hatchery in Sooke relies on volunteers each year to clip a portion of all the coho they release this year. This is the case for most other community based volunteer hatcheries around the coast. If anyone ever wants to help out they always need people in May to clip the coho fry. You get a free BBQ lunch out of the deal! The more we clip, the more we can keep!

Last edited:

Dave, can you give us the location of the DFO hatchery that clips 100% of their Coho?
or does Afaik mean you are just kidding?

Dave, can you give us the location of the DFO hatchery that clips 100% of their Coho?
or does Afaik mean you are just kidding?

Chilliwack River hatchery. I stand corrected if other DFO hatcheries don't mark their coho.
Edit: Was just told by the manager of the Chilliwack hatchery that indeed all Federal facilities mark all their coho ... what hatcheries do you know of that don't?

Last edited:
The manager is wrong. I would be interested to know why that system gets special treatment from everyone else? To your answer pretty much most facilities on Vancouver Island partially mark or not at all. I am not guessing been involved.

Glad to see folks standing up for the fish. In WA the hatch Coho are marked, but the tribes pushed for, and got a total Coho closure because of the "catch and release" mortality issue. As an FYI trebles & lifting a fish to be released out of the water are illegal here.

I sure do see the point on releasing wild fish to only have then die later.

The manager is wrong. I would be interested to know why that system gets special treatment from everyone else? To your answer pretty much most facilities on Vancouver Island partially mark or not at all. I am not guessing been involved.

Which Federal hatcheries are "partially marking or not at all" ?

Back