Beaver Lake - Kelowna

coholips

I'm taking my 3 kids to Beaver Lake Resort in July for a week to camp, explore, and try to catch a few rainbows. I'm a veteran on the salt but have no clue what to do onthe lake. We will have access to a small motorized boat. I'd like to try trolling. So my main questions are the big 3.....speed, depth, lures. Any help would be really appreciated as I'd love to get the kids into freshwater fishing as an option to our saltwater adventures. Any input on Worden's Flatfish and what color/size to use would be helpful too.

Standard practice there is to either fly fish or troll the perimeter in about 15-30 feet. Gang troll and worm or flatfish will work. Nice Swiss family runs the resort will know what's hot and rent you a boat if you need it. Trolling just a fly even on a spinning rod with a few split shot will be more sporting. Or take the hook off some ugly Coyotes and use them as mini-dodgers with an olive, black or maroon leech or woolly bugger or 52 buick, spratley, or Carey special. Wedding bands and flatfish will work but they will kill the action of the coyote dodger.
A cheapo fly rod and floating line would be worth it to flail around in the evenings when they start to rise (smallish Tom thumbs will work).
If you can borrow a float tube there are a bunch or lakes to try that require a short walk, Lost, Flyfish #1 and #2, Ruth etc.. Beaver and Doreen have trailer/cartop access, Dee has a resort and boat rentals.
Go slow, like in and out of gear or rowing slow for trolling.
Try to bring a portable fish finder for depth because all the lakes are tea stained.
PM me for more info if you want.
Troutwaters fly store in Kelowna is a good place to buy everything including lures. Beaver Resort has flies and some gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of those smaller lakes are great with kids, like any in the Dee Lake chain. Smaller fish but plentiful. The folks at the lodge will steer you in the right direction, thanks Tubber for info.

Tubber, much appreciated! Great info and I will definitely try trolling some flies, sounds a little more sporting. I do own a never used 9.5ft 7 weight Lamiglas fly rod that's been sitting for years and would be nice to get some hours on, but would this be too heavy a rod for this fishery?

Nice rod, It will be fine, even if it is a size or 2 heavy. There are some big fish, but most are either last year's stockings 11-14, inches, or this year's(6-8"). Fun place for kids though. Power bait from shore/dock will also work.

Back