BC Pipeline Ruling In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you hear that your hard working tax dollars could fund a conglomerate of Native reserves in the West purchase a 51% stake in the project.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5298795/western-canadian-first-nations-tmx-purchase/

Sugar coated so there is no money up front....."banks will come running when the project gets the green light"......so ya, we're paying for it.

Shaking my head......so Canada buys it....and then monies the gov't gives to FN are going to purchase 51% of it......AGAIN. This coddling sh*t is pushing me over the edge...."apologize here...apologize there" and just keep throwing money that is abhorrently mismanaged.

At the risk of opening a can of worms:
From their website they keep pushing the notion that the oils transported through the pipeline will be destined to "other markets" (I read Asia). So we (BC) have to bear the brunt of the environmental impacts in case of a disaster, while getting a small portion of the revenues from the pipeline. I remain skeptical that this will even help out our fuel prices as we get a portion of it through 'Murica.

https://www.transmountain.com/project-overview

At the risk of opening a can of worms:
From their website they keep pushing the notion that the oils transported through the pipeline will be destined to "other markets" (I read Asia). So we (BC) have to bear the brunt of the environmental impacts in case of a disaster, while getting a small portion of the revenues from the pipeline. I remain skeptical that this will even help out our fuel prices as we get a portion of it through 'Murica.

https://www.transmountain.com/project-overview

It’s called being part of a confederation, all Canadians benefit from projects like this. Not all of them are that visible to those that care not to look but they are out there. North Eastern BC produces large volumes of Natrual Gas and Oil and Condensate. The vast majority of that product flows through Alberta.

This pipeline will help in volume takeaway from storage and will help BC with their gas prices as a good portion of the pipeline capacity is taken up with refined fuels, it’s not straight heavy oil the flows through it. But what it will not do is open the oil to more markets that’s false. I’ve stated it on here before the port where it’s loaded is not suited for the large super tankers that haul oil to Asia. It’s not economical to ship the oil in the smaller volumes. The oil will still be going to the US in particular California refiners not to Asia. So, yes it will help in prices because it will be takeaway but not by opening it up to more markets.

Last edited:
But what it will not do is open the oil to more markets that’s false. I’ve stated it on here before the port where it’s loaded is not suited for the large super tankers that haul oil to Asia. It’s not economical to ship the oil in the smaller volumes. The oil will still be going to the US in particular California refiners not to Asia. So, yes it will help in prices because it will be takeaway but not by opening it up to more markets.

Walleyes, Not sure if you have this correct if we are still talking about the Trans Mountain. I believe the whole idea for this pipeline was to reach tidewater and allow the oil to be shipped overseas to open up new markets so Alberta would not be handcuffed in having to sell at a deep discount to the US. I apologize in advance if you were referencing something else or if I have my info totally wrong.

Walleyes, Not sure if you have this correct if we are still talking about the Trans Mountain. I believe the whole idea for this pipeline was to reach tidewater and allow the oil to be shipped overseas to open up new markets so Alberta would not be handcuffed in having to sell at a deep discount to the US. I apologize in advance if you were referencing something else or if I have my info totally wrong.

I know this is the intent of TMX and this is what everyone thinks but it’s a little known fact that is being kept quiet. It is highly unlikely they will load ships out of Burnaby and they will be sailed over to Asia. There was an article some while back in Alberta Oil magazine that discussed this to some length. The Port is not suitable for the large super tankers that are used to sail over seas and it’s not economical to sail with smaller ships. Like I said it will help our price because it is takeaway but not to the effect it opens up our market options. More than likely the oil is going to refineries in California. As much as California totes the anti Alberta oil card they love the stuff and can’t get enough of it. What a better way to sneak it in there than by ship. To most people it’s just another ship coming in, it’s not as publicly visible as getting a pipeline in as we all can tell.

Unless something is going to change in the terminal to allow the super tankers in but I have yet to read anything to this regard. I’m not even sure it’s a suitable area. In my research the largest tankers that come into Burnaby are Aframax class tankers which again in my research are mid range ships. The only water on the west coast suitable for VLCC class tankers is in Kitimat.

Last edited:
Tugcaptain likely knows the hard limitations, but second narrows will not accommodate large vessels.
Crazy shoals and freshet influence of the Seymour River make it a pretty hairy transit.

Can you imagine if our forefathers had to go thru this **** to build the railway? Pretty sure this country would not be where it is today. I know they likely didn’t have the consultation process we have today. But that same consultation process is strangling us. We need leaders who make decisions for the “greater good of the country”. Get it done and stop asking permission for 1000’s of potential stake holders.

Can you imagine if our forefathers had to go thru this **** to build the railway? Pretty sure this country would not be where it is today. I know they likely didn’t have the consultation process we have today. But that same consultation process is strangling us. We need leaders who make decisions for the “greater good of the country”. Get it done and stop asking permission for 1000’s of potential stake holders.

No kidding!! This is what happens when this country doesn’t have a real leader and the so called one we do have is more useless than mammary glands on a bull and is so worried about the minority’s!! Sickening... Get with it TURDO!!

You have it right the story keeps on changing. Funny you don't even hear how our pump gas would be cheaper, because the truth is it will be more expensive because we in B.C. will have to pay for the new Pipe.

The environmental risk of building the Trans Mountain Pipeline are apparent. But compared to shipping by rail and tanker truck the risks are minimal. Nobody talks about the condition of the existing pipeline and the lack of ruptures that occur with this aging system. We see far more derailments and accidents with tanker trucks than pipeline ruptures. A new pipeline will be modernized and a safer means of transportation.

The tanker traffic that sails in and out of Burrard Inlet will have all the eyes of the whole Lower Mainland on them with constant scrutiny. And if the unfortunate incident of an emergency was to occur it would easily be within reach of clean up crews or emergency personal.

Just build the damn thing already.

The environmental risk of building the Trans Mountain Pipeline are apparent. But compared to shipping by rail and tanker truck the risks are minimal. Nobody talks about the condition of the existing pipeline and the lack of ruptures that occur with this aging system. We see far more derailments and accidents with tanker trucks than pipeline ruptures. A new pipeline will be modernized and a safer means of transportation.

The tanker traffic that sails in and out of Burrard Inlet will have all the eyes of the whole Lower Mainland on them with constant scrutiny. And if the unfortunate incident of an emergency was to occur it would easily be within reach of clean up crews or emergency personal.

Just build the damn thing already.
Actually shipping by rail is a lot less risky to the environment because in a derailment only a few cars leave the track and usually they will not totally rupture where as a pipeline spill keeps on spilling until someone discovers it. Spill volume wise there has been a lot more Oil spilled from ruptured pipelines even very new pipelines than ever will be spilled by rail. Don't see too many tanker truck accidents either but since they are required to deliver refined petrolium to gas stations its amazing there are only a very few accidents with tanker trucks. I don't think you are suggesting they build pipelines to each gas station too are you? When the incident were to happen in the Harbour they have no means to clean up the Raw Bitumen as it sinks and then just spreads like deadly goop killing everything that lives on the ocean floor. Do you actually believe that the shipping company will have the ability to scoop all that up off the ocean floor or just go bankrupt and leave it. Our tourism is not worth the risk and niether is our health.

If its all going to Cherry Point anyway like Walleyes says why not just increase the spur line and pipe it directly down there. They can refine it maximize its value and then sell it to the highest bidder and it doesn't need to go through the inner harbour and Georgia Straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back