BC ferry rates!!!!!

Sitkaspruce

Hey Folks

A heads up on the huge rate increase for those who are pulling a boat to the Island.

Right now it is $45/vehicle plus $2.25/foot after 20'. After April 01/2010, the vehicle rate goes to $46.75, but the per foot rate jumps to $5.25, a $3/foot increase. On a 21" boat that is a $63 increase one way!!!

It is all here in blue and white
http://www.bcferries.com/fares/

When the economy is down and tourism is going to be one of our biggest attractions, especially after the Olympics, this stuff happens.

This is what happens when we have a monoploy!!!

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I got tired of paying the old rates never mind the new rates some years ago. I now leave my boat in Bella Coola. From Cache Creek to Bella Coola is 7 hrs. total driving time if you dawdle. From Cache Creek to Horseshoe Bay is 4 hrs. then 1 hr. + or - ferry waiting time then 1.5 hrs. crossing to be in Nanaimo. Then 4+ hrs. to Port Hardy. 10.5 hrs. and over $100. ea. way. (truck and camper pulling 25' boat.) but I never did it in less than 12 hrs. knocking off a huge load of fuel. (big block chev-gas)
The new rates would have me paying almost $200. ea. way for a boat ride I don't need.
If you live in the Lower Mainland add 3 to 4 hrs. to get to Cache Creek but you would save the ferry fees and a lot of frustration.

It appears they eliminated the under 7' height fare. So the same rate for everybody. Doing the numbers for my boat which would be 42' overall at the over 7' works out to $151.20 at the old rate and $162.25 at the new rate. I seem to recall a story about some guy taking them to court about the under/over 7' height fare. It seems like he won if they are changing the way the charge for longer/higher loads

It appears they eliminated the under 7' height fare. So the same rate for everybody. Doing the numbers for my boat which would be 42' overall at the over 7' works out to $151.20 at the old rate and $162.25 at the new rate. I seem to recall a story about some guy taking them to court about the under/over 7' height fare. It seems like he won if they are changing the way the charge for longer/higher loads

No reason for my boat to leave the Island thankfully. As for my trips across-- I'll just use the free seniors walk-on days!!!:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by excalibur

I got tired of paying the old rates never mind the new rates some years ago. I now leave my boat in Bella Coola. From Cache Creek to Bella Coola is 7 hrs. total driving time if you dawdle. From Cache Creek to Horseshoe Bay is 4 hrs. then 1 hr. + or - ferry waiting time then 1.5 hrs. crossing to be in Nanaimo. Then 4+ hrs. to Port Hardy. 10.5 hrs. and over $100. ea. way. (truck and camper pulling 25' boat.) but I never did it in less than 12 hrs. knocking off a huge load of fuel. (big block chev-gas)
The new rates would have me paying almost $200. ea. way for a boat ride I don't need.
If you live in the Lower Mainland add 3 to 4 hrs. to get to Cache Creek but you would save the ferry fees and a lot of frustration.
Actually, I was thinking of running up to ‘Shearwater’ next year via that route! Any recommendations as to where to stay, or launch?

quote:Originally posted by beemer

I think they should triple the ferry rates! I love the moat!

It's going to cost a pile of money to get off and back onto the island
come moose hunting season this year.
Dave

quote:Originally posted by beemer

I think they should triple the ferry rates! I love the moat!

It's going to cost a pile of money to get off and back onto the island
come moose hunting season this year.
Dave

ya then beemer you have to eat sometimes and where do most of your food clothes and booze come from the other side of the moat

ya then beemer you have to eat sometimes and where do most of your food clothes and booze come from the other side of the moat

I have decided to only eat what I catch ( I'm starving ) and I have started a still in the basement. Now if I hook up the electrical system to my exercise bike , I'll be set!

Seriously though the rates are really getting stupid. Why do people on the Victoria/Nanaimo runs get punished to subsidize the rest of the system? The Island Trust has killed the economies of the Gulf Islands so everyone else has to pay for the "lifestyle" that people have chosen ?

I have decided to only eat what I catch ( I'm starving ) and I have started a still in the basement. Now if I hook up the electrical system to my exercise bike , I'll be set!

Seriously though the rates are really getting stupid. Why do people on the Victoria/Nanaimo runs get punished to subsidize the rest of the system? The Island Trust has killed the economies of the Gulf Islands so everyone else has to pay for the "lifestyle" that people have chosen ?

I just calculated the increase and for me to travel from Tsawassen to Duke point with a 44' overall length and underheight (under 7'), the fare before driver and passenger increased from $99.00 to $172.75 which is a 74.49% increase!!!!! I think that is an outrageous increase and if you would like complain or make comments about, the link is http://www.bcferrycommission.com/contact_the_commission.html

Perhaps if enough riders weigh in with this commission, they might effect the "Prices subject to change without notice" and lower the rates.[:0]:(:([V]

DAJ

IF BC FERRIES [:0] leaves the over height penlty off it a 20 dollor increase for me to get to the Naniamo on the overhieght deck,

Glad i have a friend in Naniamo where i can leave my tub so i don't have to take it across every trip [8D].

Rum Chum

Back