Bauer Prawn trap question

Plastidip spray works well to cover up exposed lead. I just bought the nice ones though. Also, using a clip on ball weight as an anchor on the line 10-20’ in front of your top traps helps them from bouncing around when the bouy is getting rocked by waves
Absolutely. The weight after the last trap is essential. I have made a bunch of 5 lb clip on weights, hopefully they are big enough. Maybe use 2 if not. Thanks for the tip; Twogone

Plastidip spray works well to cover up exposed lead. I just bought the nice ones though. Also, using a clip on ball weight as an anchor on the line 10-20’ in front of your top traps helps them from bouncing around when the bouy is getting rocked by waves
My buddy got a bunch of 2 pound workout weights from walmart and used those to weigh down his traps. simple, easy and cheap.

I have always put a five pound ball on the line ahead of my last trap to keep the float from adding movement to the traps l. Should I be adding weight to each trap or will the ball suffice? I pull by hand so lighter weight is definitely preferred.

I have always put a five pound ball on the line ahead of my last trap to keep the float from adding movement to the traps l. Should I be adding weight to each trap or will the ball suffice? I pull by hand so lighter weight is definitely preferred.
Look on the Bauer website. There’s a diagram of what they recommend

Yes that makes sense. It’s how I currently run my traps. I have two of the round stacking net style traps but a thinking of picking up a Bauer trap to try. Space is an issue as I only have a 16 ft boat but if they do catch more prawns it will be worth it.

Yes that makes sense. It’s how I currently run my traps. I have two of the round stacking net style traps but a thinking of picking up a Bauer trap to try. Space is an issue as I only have a 16 ft boat but if they do catch more prawns it will be worth it.
Good to hear. Oh, and welcome aboard. Great forum with loads of tips.

I prefer normal yellow poly 3/8" rope. It's less expensive and much easier to handle. A simple 1 lb clip weight 30-40 ft below the surface will prevent any excess rope from floating and causing a hazard.

The most important weight of all is an 8-15 lb piece of lead that sits on bottom below the float. Then the traps beyond that, and another 5 lb weight at the end of the rope. Wind, tide and current all put pressure on the traps, and if they move at all, the prawns won't go in. So you need that first weight on bottom to absorb the bouncing and pulling from the float at the surface. Then the first trap 20 ft away, then 40-50 ft again to second trap. See Rigging diagram from Bauer.

Tried my 2 Bauer knock offs today - a beautiful day on the water. Not in a great area but got 42 in one trap and 45 in the other. Not very many smalls, no females with eggs and some nice big ones. Only did one soak as had other things that needed doing. I really like those traps and will probably buy 2 more.

If you plan it well, you'll only have traps in your boat for the short time it takes to empty the catch and re-bait them. Using the overnight soak followed by a 2-3 hour soak while you go fishing or something else conveniently nearby, you can get 4 trap set cycles in a weekend. The traps are the first thing you deal with on the first morning, and the last thing to come into the boat that last afternoon before heading back to dock. I sometimes run trap lines from a 14 ft boat, so being efficient with space is critical.

You are not allowed to drop or retrieve traps from dusk to dawn. Never read anything about soaking them overnight being unlawful.
It's not allowed in Vancouver Harbour. Haven't heard of it anywhere else. It's a traffic issue, apparently.

It was a poaching issue, specifically for English Bay (crabs). Remember there were a pile of traps found with no corks and they were grappling em by gps coordinates
But that never stopped? It's still happening and will continue to happen.

I think the rules are for other boats navigating at night. Tougher to see the buoys and avoid them.

But that never stopped? It's still happening and will continue to happen.

I think the rules are for other boats navigating at night. Tougher to see the buoys and avoid them.
Yes, the ghost trap clean up is ongoing. I won't debate with the Pilot, but I was also told by coast guard at my dock that it was for navigation at night in a shipping/navigation channel.

I wondered about the guys that work on those freighters that drop traps for a day or two, they still use laundry jugs but I guess they use what they can. 9 months at sea, have at 'er.

Back