Battling seals for salmon

K

Kannibal

Got in my first seal fight last week at China Creek. First seal I seen all weekend and low and behold my first strike, twenty seconds later I see the tail end of our fish sticking out of the yap of a pesky seal. I raised both deep lines and proceeded to chase the seal with gaff in hand thinking I might get a chance to beat it out of him. As we retrieved the the line quickly and got closer it lost grip of the 20 pounder and I managed to gaff it before he took a bit out of it on a second effort. I guess I got lucky but can see why a guy would get choked if he lost his fish.

NIce work Kannibal ~ I hate it when those little buggers grab a fish but you handled it perfectly. You have to get your boat on top of the seal FAST so he can't surface for air and then he'll let go of the salmon. You'll never win a tug-o-war but it's funny to watch. :D

NIce work Kannibal ~ I hate it when those little buggers grab a fish but you handled it perfectly. You have to get your boat on top of the seal FAST so he can't surface for air and then he'll let go of the salmon. You'll never win a tug-o-war but it's funny to watch. :D

They are sneaky buggers. I filled the boat with about maybe ten, two to five pound rocks and when the seals tired and you get overtop and he surfaces nearby to get air you nail him and so far its worked.

They are sneaky buggers. I filled the boat with about maybe ten, two to five pound rocks and when the seals tired and you get overtop and he surfaces nearby to get air you nail him and so far its worked.

Back