Barnacle rings on aluminum boat

Sangstercraft

I left my aluminum boat in too long last year (had a baby). No bottom paint. Pressure washed off the barnacles, but the rings remain. Quite rough and I'm sure it'll slow me down.

I bought some Starbrite bottom cleaner (oxalic & phosphoric acids) for aluminum, but it doesn't work as well as the YouTube videos show.

Scrubbing doesn't do anything, scraping with a wood-bbq scraper doesn't work, the only thing that seems to remove it is putting a fine grit pad on my palm sander and sanding with the Starbrite gel... however, that leaves a bit of sanding marks on the aluminum which will probably allow marine growth a better attachment. Perhaps a car-buffing attachment on a grinder?

Anyone on here have a good solution? Thanks guys.

I bring it up on the beach a lot to offload supplies at my cabin. So I’d get the electrolysis issue if I had bottom paint, as rock dings get through the paint.
If the beach is just sand or small gravel you won’t wear through the interprotect easily. It’s 10mill thick and very durable when applied properly. If you can get the hull media blasted first you’ll have no issues removing those rings and getting a good surface for the epoxy to adhere. Biggest thing with aluminum is it’s constantly oxidizing so make sure to apply your first coat the same day the hull is sanded or blasted (if you go this route).

After you get a nice new bottom paint job you could use a roller system to pull the boat up on the beach at the cabin. Aere Inflatable Dinghy Beach Roller is a cool product that makes it easier to pull boats onshore without damage. Because they are inflatable they stow well and if you purchase a couple of them as you pull the boat ashore you just move the rollers from back to front until you get as far up the beach as you want. I bought three of them when they went on sale.

CLR will take that stuff off biut the challenge is your working upside down. I don't see it being very fun. Rotary nozzle with a power washer might help but probly won't come off without dissolving them

Try to use the 3M Compound. I know it’s for fibreglass but the stuff has enough grit in it it works for aluminum awesome. It does need the help of a angle power polisher to do a good job but it cuts great. I’ve been using it the last couple years to keep the scuffs and heavy scratches out of the paint on my new boat. Works 10 times better than any of the scratch removers out there. Just have to hit it with a polish after on paint as it takes the shine off. But on aluminum who cares. If you haven’t yet give it a try I bet it works,

CLR will take that stuff off biut the challenge is your working upside down. I don't see it being very fun. Rotary nozzle with a power washer might help but probly won't come off without dissolving them
Yes a 4000 psi power washer with a rotary nozzle might do the trick

Maybe try muriatic acid, it's cheap too. Might need to dilute it and try a test spot to make sure it doesn't leave some nasty streaks. Make sure with any of these acid based products that you wash it off before it dries. I think wether you sand it or etch it it's still going to leave a surface that's easier for marine growth to attach to. If you leave the boat in the water I also think you should apply bottom paint.

Maybe try muriatic acid, it's cheap too. Might need to dilute it and try a test spot to make sure it doesn't leave some nasty streaks. Make sure with any of these acid based products that you wash it off before it dries. I think wether you sand it or etch it it's still going to leave a surface that's easier for marine growth to attach to. If you leave the boat in the water I also think you should apply bottom paint.
Canadian Tire has muriatic acid in the paint section. You can also get a cheap pump sprayer in the herbicide section. The longer you can let any of the acids sit on the aluminum without drying the better, gives it more time to work. It will also probably etch you concrete lol. Best to find a gravel driveway to do it on and do it early in the morning before the sun's up

muriatic acid is horrible y... awesome stuff. makes the barnacles bubble and foam like baking soda and vinegar. use gloves and glasses and have rinse water at the ready incase you get it in your face or body... garden hose etc... fumes arnt so nice either

Back