Barkley Sound Report

Have a look on a chart either paper or your GPS and its pretty obvious where the rats nose is.... look for the "RATS NOSE", it'll jump out at ya trust me ;)

3-mile is on fire, yesterday and today put up some impressive numbers as well as size. C.G. from Swale Rock Charters put a 52lb. sweety in the boat yesterday. The boy's at Tyee Lodge, littered the dock with fish to 42 lbs. this morning.
One sure thing, these are fish passing through as the majority were whites or marbles.-dirty

3-mile is on fire, yesterday and today put up some impressive numbers as well as size. C.G. from Swale Rock Charters put a 52lb. sweety in the boat yesterday. The boy's at Tyee Lodge, littered the dock with fish to 42 lbs. this morning.
One sure thing, these are fish passing through as the majority were whites or marbles.-dirty

quote:Originally posted by truckman

teamchachi, Thanks for the update. I have one question though. Where is the Rats Nose? I have been coming to Ukee for only 4 years so I'm not up on all the spots yet. Sounds like the fishing is still hot and I'll just hope for good weather for next weeks fishing.

thanks again to all for the tips and updates!

Its on the inside of the the big bank towards the southern end. It really does look like a rats nose on the chart. Pretty much every guide boat in the fleet (including the Princess boats) was there with us. Just measure 22 miles from Amphitrite and you'll see it.

If I were you, I'd be ready to leave the marina at 5:45 AM and just follow the guide boats out. They know where the fish are biting.

Purple haze and glow green hootchies were hot for us. However, we did catch the 38 lber on a glow Coyote.

Teamchachi, Thanks again, I got out my chart and compared it to the GPS spots I have on my chartplotter and found it just where you said. I guess I don't have enough local knowledge yet. I usually do follow the guides out in the AM especially to the outer banks.

Thanks again for all your assistance. I'll give a report on my return.

Truckman
L7C13

I just got back from poetts nook and the fishing was realy slow inside, like 2 fish per day. We ended up going off shore to 15 mile and limited out on kings, coho and halibut the two days out there.

Just back from the derby, spend 3 days fishing Edward King and area, still very quiet on the inside with loads of action offshore from Cree island. If I had'nt spent 60 bucks on derby tickets I would have moved out like so many other people this weekend...

Does anyone know how is fishing in Barkley Sound lately? I am considering going there for a few days, but I am still a bit reluctant in view of no reports from Barkley and the poor reports from Alberni. [?]

EP, I fished out of Poett Nook Sept 5th, 6 and 7th and the fishing was very slow. I spoke to some people there that indicated they had been going to the Nook for 15 years and this was the slowest they had ever seen. We fished Kirby and the Wall and saw very few fish landed. Out best fishing was right outside the Nook where we managed 3 Coho 8 to 10 lbs. and 2 springs, 24 and 25 lbs. Some guys went out to Cree and 3 mile with no success whatsoever. The 2 springs we brought in were the largest we saw at the cleaning table however I do believe a 28 lbder. was also caught right outside the Nook. :(Striper Sniper

I was out there to stiper sniper, in the silver boat.Definately slow but managed to pull three out.I was at the marina in port last night and some guys did very well at pill pt yesterday, some awesome hogs for sure.

Lance

Back on Monday the third, we stopped in at Spencer Creek and Pocahontas Point on the way back from Bamfield. There were a lot of fish on the sounder but all down deep. So the Alberni Inlet should be getting another wave of fish soon.

Back