Barkley Sound Report

O

opp-i-ottan

Just returned from 2.5 days fishing out of Ucluelet. We got our limit of Springs but it was tough slogging for extended periods of time when Monday (20th) and Tuesday (21st) were plagued by nasty SE winds and relentless drizze. Kirby was the calmest spot during those "dog-hours" when the outside was (for me anyway) unfishable. :( Nevertheless, Kirby yielded 3 nice (REALLY RED) Springs taken between 60 - 70 feet on a blue/chrome spoon and one of those new "UV" plugs from Tomic. For some reason - chovies didn't work at all there!

Best fishing was Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning (today) at 7-Mile-Bank where we netted 5 springs. This morning the place seemed on fire! :D After leaving the dock at 10:00 AM (I had my young sons (5 and 8) with me!) we landed 3 in quick succession and was back at the dock in Ucluelet by Noon! All the fish took anchovies behind a big blue/chrome flasher in around 125'!

No Coho this year!

Oppi

i also just got back from a 5 day trip. caught lots of springs one at 38# good times weather was better than predicted. the blue and chrome coyote was the best lure for that trip with a green hotspot flasher. chovys didnt do anything for me.tried a couple of trips to swale and lyall but no fish just seaweed. 7mile was the hot spot for me.
38modMedium.jpg

opp-i-ottan & murray069,

What size Blue/Chrome spoons were you using, 4", 5" or 6"? Looks like another trip to the tackle store, the Blue/Chrome is probably the only color combo I don't have.

AWESOME FISH I MUST SAY GOOD JOB. I'M GOING UP FOR 5 DAYS AS OF THIS MONDAY.I HOPE IT'S STILL AS HOT WERE GOING TO HIT THAT FULL MOON.WE'LL SEE CHEERS M.T.;)

quote:Originally posted by opp-i-ottan

Just returned from 2.5 days fishing out of Ucluelet. We got our limit of Springs but it was tough slogging for extended periods of time when Monday (20th) and Tuesday (21st) were plagued by nasty SE winds and relentless drizze. Kirby was the calmest spot during those "dog-hours" when the outside was (for me anyway) unfishable. :( Nevertheless, Kirby yielded 3 nice (REALLY RED) Springs taken between 60 - 70 feet on a blue/chrome spoon and one of those new "UV" plugs from Tomic. For some reason - chovies didn't work at all there!

Best fishing was Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning (today) at 7-Mile-Bank where we netted 5 springs. This morning the place seemed on fire! :D After leaving the dock at 10:00 AM (I had my young sons (5 and 8) with me!) we landed 3 in quick succession and was back at the dock in Ucluelet by Noon! All the fish took anchovies behind a big blue/chrome flasher in around 125'!

No Coho this year!

Oppi

So many different names for all the banks around Ucluelet. I assume that 7 mile bank is 7 miles due south of the lighthouse? Isn't that also referred to as "South Bank" sometimes?

The 7-mile bank is located 7 miles off Cape Beale taking a 210º course.

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

opp-i-ottan & murray069,

What size Blue/Chrome spoons were you using, 4", 5" or 6"? Looks like another trip to the tackle store, the Blue/Chrome is probably the only color combo I don't have.
mine was a #5 about 90ft down on the rigger but with the tide moving i was more like 70 or 80ft down. good luck!!

quote:Originally posted by El Pescador

The 7-mile bank is located 7 miles off Cape Beale taking a 210� course.

Okay, so let me get this straight:

5 mile and 7 mile are off Cape Beale.

South bank is due south of the Ucluelet lighthouse and is also sometimes referred to as 8 mile.

No?

quote:Originally posted by teamchachi

quote:Originally posted by El Pescador

The 7-mile bank is located 7 miles off Cape Beale taking a 210� course.

Okay, so let me get this straight:

5 mile and 7 mile are off Cape Beale.

South bank is due south of the Ucluelet lighthouse and is also sometimes referred to as 8 mile.

No?

1) Yes.

2) South Bank: 48.50.150N; 125.36.313W and the surrounding area. You'll get the picture.

Slabby,

We were using a 5" blue/chrome Coyote. Probably the same as Murray's! That lure hooked two fish at Kirby (13lb and 15lb), and was trolled behind a big blue/chrome flasher @ 70'.

teamchachi,

About the "7-Mile Bank"... you are right that there's a lot of confusion about what area that actually is referring to!? I think it depends on who you ask - someone from Ucluelet or Bamfield!? Bamfield guys usually mention the 210º off Beale - 7 Mile, 15 Mile, or 25 Mile in that same general direction. Ucluelet guys talking about "7 Mile Bank" usually refer to the area about 7 miles SE of Amphitrite Pt.(which is further NW than Bamfield's), and Ucluelet's "15-Mile Bank" is at the "Shipwreck" which is also further NW than Bamfield's 15 Mile Bank. The "7-Mile Bank" area we were fishing was the one from Ucluelet! I.e. about 7 nautical miles SE of Amphitrite Point and about 3 nautical miles S of Mara Rock.

Good luck and all the best... :)

Oppi

quote:Originally posted by opp-i-ottan

Slabby,

We were using a 5" blue/chrome Coyote. Probably the same as Murray's! That lure hooked two fish at Kirby (13lb and 15lb), and was trolled behind a big blue/chrome flasher @ 70'.

teamchachi,

About the "7-Mile Bank"... you are right that there's a lot of confusion about what area that actually is referring to!? I think it depends on who you ask - someone from Ucluelet or Bamfield!? Bamfield guys usually mention the 210º off Beale - 7 Mile, 15 Mile, or 25 Mile in that same general direction. Ucluelet guys talking about "7 Mile Bank" usually refer to the area about 7 miles SE of Amphitrite Pt.(which is further NW than Bamfield's), and Ucluelet's "15-Mile Bank" is at the "Shipwreck" which is also further NW than Bamfield's 15 Mile Bank. The "7-Mile Bank" area we were fishing was the one from Ucluelet! I.e. about 7 nautical miles SE of Amphitrite Point and about 3 nautical miles S of Mara Rock.

Good luck and all the best... :)

Oppi

Clear. Thank you. I know all the places on the map and have fished each of them a few times. But we've pretty much just found them by following guides around and looking at charts. Trying to figure out who is talking about what can be pretty confusing at times!

I also just returned from Barkley Sound. Spent 8 days fishing and did fairly well. Just like everyone else, we had our best days offshore. We only ventured out 5 - 7 miles but managed to catch a lot of fish. Our biggest was 33 Lb white Spring with lots more between 20 - 27 Lbs. Seems like more white ones than normal for me. I guess that's because the local run hasn't come in. We caught most fish on green/silver coyote. We ran both 4" and 5" green/silvers. The best luck was on the 4". 40' - 60' was our magic depths this time.

Also had a couple of good mornings at Austin and Cree. Did better with anchovies around there. Strange how one thing works better offshore and another thing works better on the inside.

We did have a few days of Nasty weather, but luckily mangaged to catch a lot of fish when we could get out.

Thanks to everybody who contributes to this site. It made our annual fishing trip a successfull one.

Looking forward to next years trip.

R.A

I recently returned from Bamfield. Fished hard from last Friday thru Tuesday. Picked up a 31 pounder, 2 25 pounders and several 20 plus pounders. Also caught some nice Coho, most had to be released as they were natives. Most fish were caught at Swale, 7 mile (off Beale), and 2 miles straight out from Cree Island. By far, the hottest setup was a 5" Cop Car Coyote (it caught 80% of the fish) and a red hotspot flasher. We also caught fish on a white double glow hootchie with a green hotspot flasher. Only caught bottomfish on Anchovies. Most fish were caught at depths between 40 and 55 foot. Caught a nice one at 70 foot in the afternoon. Good luck and tight lines to all.

Just got back from 5 days in Toquart,we fished the inside Swale,Meares Bluff,Harbour Entrance.Did'nt set any records slow but steady,fish are there,just have to work for them.Best success for me was a green glow, large strip, 7 foot leader,green hotspot,plenty of action on that.DAN

Thought I would revive the thread as I am coming up with a few buddies to fish off Ucluelet next week. How is the action? Any reports. Will launch out of Island West and stay for 6 days of fog free fishing I hope.

quote:Originally posted by truckman

Thought I would revive the thread as I am coming up with a few buddies to fish off Ucluelet next week. How is the action? Any reports. Will launch out of Island West and stay for 6 days of fog free fishing I hope.

Just got back from Ukee. Inside Barkley Sound is dead. The fish are all still offshore. The hottest action has been the rats nose and the wreck (lots of Halibut). We picked up a couple of 15+ lb hatchery Coho at the Rats Nose and couldn't keep the wild Coho off the lines. It was insane. Probably 50-60 hits. Saw a lot of HOGS coming in off South Bank yesterday. Hopefully they'll move into the sound soon, but offshore is where all the guide boats are going. We had a couple of days offshore where the ocean was like a mill pond. It was like fishing Lake Okanagan. Awesome.

Highlights were a couple of 28 and 38 lb springs, and a couple of big 14-15 lb Coho, lots of 25lbish Halibut, and a couple of big Lings. Lots of little springs around too.

im also heading there today. i'll be back on tuesday will report when i return. tight lines everyone

Just washed the boat after a long day of fishing yesterday. Launched in Port at 5:30 AM stopped at Kirby and fished the tide change, no bait, no fish, few boats so we moved out to 25 mile and had a blast. End result was 4 halibut and 8 salmon. We lost count on how many large wild coho we threw back, must be 40 plus. Salmon were caught between 70-130 ft on a 5" spoon which was green and silver but is now all silver, to be honest you could have caught the coho with anything, they were trying to eat my downrigger clips. halibut were caught trolling on the bottom with a flasher and hotchie.

teamchachi, Thanks for the update. I have one question though. Where is the Rats Nose? I have been coming to Ukee for only 4 years so I'm not up on all the spots yet. Sounds like the fishing is still hot and I'll just hope for good weather for next weeks fishing.

thanks again to all for the tips and updates!

We were out last Sunday, about 8 miles up-coast from the Uke entrance, and limited out on Springs (8); smallest about 8lb and the rest from 23 to 28lb. NW swell, rip and reflection from shore as we were tight to the rocks. Wind and 2+ meter swells with chop. Ugly[xx(].

Tom

Back