Barbless hooks for trout?

kunni

Just wondering how many of you guys use barbless hooks for trout. I have been fishing with only barbless hooks latley, and am loosing quite a few fish. Any tips on keeping a fish on when fishing with barbless?

Kunni

Most of my flies have beadheads, so I have to crimp the barb to get the bead on when I tie them. All my flies are barbless. I haven't kept a trout for years so I don't really care if they get off early. I don't even touch or net them unless I want to pump the throat. I cut the bend off an open eye siwash hook and lashed the shank it to a chopstick for a decent release tool. That said, if you keep a tight line and pressure on the fish by moving your rod tip (not necsesarily up) in the opposite direction of it's run, they will stay on.

x2 on that, Its barbless only in my area, Using a softer rod should help ya out 4/5wt is good if your going after smaller trout, so don't use a 7 or 8 weight if your going after 1-3lb fish
You lose lots of coho fishing barbless flies but hey that's how it goes!

Hey Kunni, Only barbless on all my flies, but I have been starting to keep track of specific hooks and trying to see is there are any relationships between specific hooks an lost trout, big or small. Now that the fish are cooperating it is easier to notice trends regarding keeping them on.

I have two details that I am focusing on. Is the hook up to the task strength wise? I lost a fish a couple weeks ago that was one of the bigger I have had on, and lost him. Checked the fly and all looked okay and I chalked it up to lack of skill on my part but then I lost 3 more fish in a row, but nothing big. When I really checked the fly the gap looked okay but when I held the point and pulled down the gap opened far more easily than it should have.

Second detail is sharpness of point. I have taken to sharpening all my fly before it hits the water and after every hookup. I know this may cause it to rust sooner but that is not an issue as I am will just ty more. I think it has made a difference at least on my count but with fishing you never know.

Stay with the barbless, much better on the fish for release, and try a couple other brands of barbless. See if you notice a difference.

Hook stayed in fine for your big one this year, and the rod. Wouldn't beleive it if I didn't see it!!!!
James

Stay with the barbless, much better on the fish for release, and try a couple other brands of barbless. See if you notice a difference.

James

I agree, smaller fish get torn up. I normally tie tiemco hooks, but I will have to try other brands. By the way the large langford fish was caught on a barbed hook. After that point I decided to fish with barbless, much more sporting, and more rewarding.

Ive only ever fished barbless just makes for an easy release!

release is easy, hook falls out of their mouth. I just need to improve my fighting skills
Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the Hanak competition hooks on the fly's you know work and leave the tester fly patterns to cheaper hooks. I have been very happy with them and although they are more expensive I spend the difference at Timmy's on the way to the lake in the morning anyways so...

I have been only using them on patterns I am happy with and have found they stay very sharp and are a little more heavy wire. Andy at Robinsons put me onto them.
James

All my hooks have been barbless for over 25 years. For fly fishing salmon, trout and steelhead, Tiemco, has been my go to hooks. I have never thought I lost a fish because I was fishing barbless. Either I screwed up, or the fish bested me. I have always thought my hooks had better penetration because of no barbs. Many times, especially steelhead I have needed needle nose to unhook a fish, because of a barbless hook buried in the corner of it's mouth. Keep a tight line at all times!

It is all barbless on the fresh water of Vancouver Island! Single barbless, where have you people been hiding? Am I lost, is there other regulations out there that I havn't read?
Play your fish with gear that is bendy and responsive, play your fish to the side (don't play a fish straight up and down) lead it, right or left. Learn how to fly fish and for gods sake crush your ------- barbs!

It is all barbless on the fresh water of Vancouver Island! Single barbless, where have you people been hiding? Am I lost, is there other regulations out there that I havn't read?

Wrong.
Lol, it depends on which lakes and certain times of the year.
Example: Cowichan Lake(including Bear lake), Bait ban and single barbless hook Nov. 16 - Apr. 16
Some lakes (lizard lake) are year round single barbless while other lakes, mainly stocked rural lakes, have no barbed restrictions at all.
Rivers are single barbless hook year round.
Barbs aren't necessary for freshwater anyway unless you're going for carp.
Learn how to fly fish ? :rolleyes: *facepalm* Thanks, not everyone wants to or has to :p

Page 9 of the freshwater synopsis saysUse of barbed hooks or a hook with more than one point in any river, stream, creek or slough in B.C. (Note: the use of barbed hooks in lakes is permitted, unless noted in the Regional Water-Specific Tables

Back