Bamfield Theft

Nugget

Hello friends,

I am boating to bamfield this August and rented a cabin down grappler. Has anyone had any problem about people stealing gear/riggers from boats? Safe to leave my rods and riggers on the boat during the night or should I bring them into the cabin.

Cheers

Hello friends,

I am boating to bamfield this August and rented a cabin down grappler. Has anyone had any problem about people stealing gear/riggers from boats? Safe to leave my rods and riggers on the boat during the night or should I bring them into the cabin.

Cheers
Fished in Bamfield for 15 years with no problems.
I have some expensive electronics and fishing reels.
Docked at Government dock some years.
Grappler will be even safer.

there is unfortunately a pair petty thieves around. she and he (travel together) and usually steal small easy items, nets, tanks, beers and empties. etc.. put your rods down inside the boat. As far as i know they have never stolen a rigger or gps unit.
we have never had any reel problems with them. they have been warned by locals that they may be turned into crab bait.

Last edited:
there is unfortunately a pair petty thieves around. she and he (travel together) and usually steal small easy items, nets, tanks, beers and empties. etc.. put your rods and down inside the boat. As far as i know they have never stolen a rigger or gps unit.
we have never had any reel problems with them. they have been warned by locals that they may be turned into crab bait.
Or Hali bait lol

I've always left my gear out. If I had a lockable cuddy, I'd probably move my rods/reels/tackle inside but I wouldn't spend the time to unhook downriggers and reinstall each day. I know its only one bolt, but it's a lot of effort at beer o'clock.

I never chance anything. Electronics, gear, riggers, swivels - all if it comes into my house every time. Never leave anything in my boat except my net, but mainly because I want a new one so would not be sad if it was swiped.

The way I see it, if it takes 15 minutes to move all my gear in and out each fishing trip it is worth it. Even cheap fishing stuff is expensive to replace! Forget about riggers and electronics.

If my gps/sounder was stolen, as if my wife would let me replace it - I'd be back to the olden days of charts. LOL

I never chance anything. Electronics, gear, riggers, swivels - all if it comes into my house every time. Never leave anything in my boat except my net, but mainly because I want a new one so would not be sad if it was swiped.

The way I see it, if it takes 15 minutes to move all my gear in and out each fishing trip it is worth it. Even cheap fishing stuff is expensive to replace! Forget about riggers and electronics.

If my gps/sounder was stolen, as if my wife would let me replace it - I'd be back to the olden days of charts. LOL
but we are posting about bamfield.. not so much there in the way of thieving. because there are no cops, we police ourselves and the thieves know it.. . believe me it has happened in the past. getting tied to a tree at the edge of town until the cops show up, can be uncomfortable.

but we are posting about bamfield.. not so much there in the way of thieving. because there are no cops, we police ourselves and the thieves know it.. . believe me it has happened in the past. getting tied to a tree at the edge of town until the cops show up, can be uncomfortable.
Yes, the locals used to take care of business in Tofino back in the day too

I get that, just saying, spending 15 minutes can almost eliminate any chance of theft, so for me, no mater where I am, it is worth the bit of effort.

I take it all out. Was at Poett's once and someone decided to take my nice downrigger clips.

DR are all security bolded bases but the riggers come off everything comes out of my boat.

At home the kicker comes off every time. Big PIA but I don't want to buy a new one because someone decided they deserved it more than I do.

I take it all out. Was at Poett's once and someone decided to take my nice downrigger clips.

DR are all security bolded bases but the riggers come off everything comes out of my boat.

At home the kicker comes off every time. Big PIA but I don't want to buy a new one because someone decided they deserved it more than I do.
been doing Poetts/Bamfield for 40 plus years , we have thousands of dollars in gear on our boats , never heard of one incident , bad luck on the clips , theres always a jackass around i guess , Poetts Store/Breakers has plenty of tackle and hardware when called upon... Overall , the area from Poetts to Bam are pretty safe imo ... no need to lock up your gear every night imo , what a pain that would be.... ive left my wallet on the dash dozens of times , never touched....

been doing Poetts/Bamfield for 40 plus years , we have thousands of dollars in gear on our boats , never heard of one incident , bad luck on the clips , theres always a jackass around i guess , Poetts Store/Breakers has plenty of tackle and hardware when called upon... Overall , the area from Poetts to Bam are pretty safe imo ... no need to lock up your gear every night imo , what a pain that would be.... ive left my wallet on the dash dozens of times , never touched....
Maybe because I am a Yankee....It was a bummer.

i probably have spent 100 nights in grappler inlet without any incident , but i know a guide that lives in grappler that lost every rod on his boat few years back.. , so for that reason i carry the rods n tackle up to the room/lodge. i dont think i could stomach replacing another TR3 anytime soon.

The people of Poett's are great the summer residents are great. I am guessing just a fluke but I hate buying new stuff unnecessarily. Special place Poett's. Look forward to bringing my boys there when they grow up a bit.

Back