Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

Heard reports today on the VHF of an overdue sport fishing boat from Bamfield that was last seen yesterday. Black boat with a yellow stripe. Anyone have any more info?

Heading up to Bamfield again on the 16th. First time for me in the "Summer" up there. I have always been stuck with June and right after Labor Day in September.
Staying at Seabeam for 4 days,I'm sure we will have a fun and an interesting trip like we usually do.Keep the rain Gods away please.

Back in Nanaimo after 24h near Pill.
LOTS of small springs and the odd nice one.
Ours preferred the 3.5" coyotes on 6' leaders at 80' and quite a quick speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Pill and Diplock yesterday. lots of shakers. ended up killing 6 legal fish, 4 of the springs were under 10lbs but one in the low 20's. also killed a delicious small coho!

Cheers,

Update from the weekend so far. Will have some pics when we get back.

7 hali's from a few miles out. Biggest was 40 lbs and others in the 10-15 lb range.
6 Springs and 2 Coho. Rosco, Blue Dragon, and our new 'Mojito' working well from 30 - 100 ft. Biggest spring was 16lbs.

BT

Out again for a couple of days - cut short by rain and lack of action.
Fished Pill to Diplock, Swale to Effingham, all slow for us and on radio.
Brought 5 small springs home so not too bad.

Area was absolutely thick with commercial boats from Pill to Hocking.
Whole way home saw only 4 sporties - I know it was early afternoon but wind and weather were decent so we expected to at least see several dozen boats with guys practicing bending their elbows on a holiday Monday!
FN mayhem in river to Clutesi.

Inlet was 60 rising to 61.2F until Hocking, then up to 61.8F at Lone Tree and down to high 59s into river.
It is warm enough for sox to school up now...
We are praying for some chance for us sporties!

Out.

Just got back from a 3 day trip up to Bamfield. 3 of us took home 12 springs and 3 coho. All the fish were smallish 6-10lbs but man was there a lot of action. We must have released or lost 2 fish for every 1 we bonked.

ALL of our action was on a glow needlefish hootchie and a glow white hootchie with 32" leaders. Tried running other hoochies and a variety of spoons but didn't even get a bite on those lures.

Got our springs off kirby and the wall and the coho inside a mile or so up the wall. One coho grabbed our line while it was still on the surface as we hooked it to the downrigger. Lots of action but no trophy springs. Most productive was off kirby last night, down 65' in about 140' of water.

Oh and all the springs were hatchery. The one single wild we caught had that tapioca disease with all the white balls through the meat. That one went in the garbage.

Blair and Osama did you guys survive the night? Fun party on the boardwalk.We rallied hard this morn and found some 15-25 lb springs. We sucked on the Hali's. One chicken and countless dogs.

Just got back from 5 days fishing in Barkley. Pretty much the same report as others. 6 of us got our limits of Springs up to 18 pounds. Lots of "shakers" provided constant action. Also picked up 12 Coho. Most of the Springs were caught at 80 to 125 foot using a blue spatterback hoochie. Most of the Coho were caught in the top 50 foot of water using a blue and nickel coyote spoon. Fished almost exclusively at Kirby.

Spent the last 3 days at Bamfield. fished mainly Brady's Beach and the Wall, needlefish glow hootchies the whole time got some nice springs 21 & 24#'s and some in the teen's, some nice coho, one was 8#'s, tried 7 mile yesterday morning, all small springs & coho.

On water report from my usual boat, sans me dammit! anywhoo...

Blowin' like a ma out there...good fish to be had inside tho. They lost 2 low twenties and another boat at the dock had 3 from 20 - 25lbs.

Commi's are out in force, hundreds of boats it seems. A little bigger fish from recent reports....crazy action...3 fish on the line in the 3 minutes I was on the phone with them. Sounds like another Bam Slam of a week!

Hi anyone tell me what the road from Pt Alberni to Bamfield is likeright now? I Have a 24 ft bayliner not sure whether to drive it or boat it, any help greatly appreciated,
cheers
peter

Hi anyone tell me what the road from Pt Alberni to Bamfield is likeright now? I Have a 24 ft bayliner not sure whether to drive it or boat it, any help greatly appreciated,
cheers
peter

Boat it. It's quicker and your boat and trailer will thank you.

Boat it into Bamfield for sure. I use to drive in for years, but boating in is my first choice now. Driving in is almost always a disappointment, especially if towing.
Stosh

I towed once and never again. I launch from China Creek to avoid the zoo in Port Alberni. Quicker and only a few miles of gravel.

cheers
peter

The road sucked this past weekend. It can change daily and you don't know what your going to get until your on it.

BT

great 5 day trip,, didn't get off tho,, fishn is still good inside. hali inside finally warmed up for me, lost a monster and landed 38, 28 25,18.. monster almost pulled me over, mental note-when tightening drag to set hook do not over tighten. i have never been almost pulled overboard by a fish. thank god the 120lb test leader snapped, don't know if i would have let go of rod and reel or played him bc tough style...in the drink!!!

Back