Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent trip to Bamfield area-had to work hard, do some searching but we had 35 springs to the boat and gave the "wood shampoo" to 12 and 1 small hali .
Before we left set my rigger up for deep water stacking and also to take a Kone zone daisy chain with ease. Had a lot of different lures and an intriguing idea from Pirates Den to test . Arrived Swale at 11 am mon. few boats around not much for nets-put down a customized coyote 3.5 green and white spoon to 180 ft and stacked above that a chovie. Took about 5 min and the spoon offered up a 7lb which was released. Most of the boats left us and we kept 5 springs to 18lbs before it died. Depths that worked were between 140 and 180-stacking a chovie above an led hoochie seemed to be the best combo-lots of work but very effective. The green double glow hootchy -a proven producer would not live up to it's rep and Striper Sniper switched to a Fish Assassin custom needle fish- good producer. Very strange really because all the fish we checked had 6 inch herring in them and only one from around Kirby had needlefish in its stomach. Yet needlefish lures worked well-ie. coho killers in green and white and cop car plus needlefish hoochies in white or clear with red beads either in the body or one in front of the nose. A Pirates Den Turd like hootchy with a double flash white LED was particularly effective.Headed to Kirby around 6pm -slow but did manage a 15 to finish the daily limit. Tried Brady and the wall at Bamfield but pretty dead-hooked-up in Port Desire for the night. First light we headed off-shore-looked great but just before 7 mile it was really blowing-got the gear down and all we could get were wild coho and legal but small springs. Could barely stand on the back deck so Hali was a none issue and we re-routed back to Kirby. Saw Osama who gave us a depth and was soon into a nice 15 ish fish. Had been a good bite at Kirby but we just caught the tail end and then it died. Went back to Swale -deserted but we took fish fairly steadily-it wasn't hot but it was interesting especially with the stacking system. We finished our two day limit at 1 pm and hooked up for the afternoon behind nettles island. Beautiful spot. At 7pm went out to Swale and using just big tomic and gibbs pilchard spoons no flashers we hooked and released 6 nice springs. This morning rigged a 7 inch herring no flasher above a daisy chain plus other side running a pilchard spoon no flasher we hooked and released 5 very nice Springs up to 18lbs. Tested an LED glow wench hoochy took and released about an 18 ib Spring but the nice surprise was a small Hali right off the end of Swale in 150 ft of water. Called it a trip at 0830 am and headed home. Great trip-I can't really discuss some of the stuff I was playing with for Pirates Den but it does look promising and I'm sure Salty Dog will continue its development.

Attachments

• DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 871
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 853
Man them springs were just lining up for the "wood shampoo" good stuff! I have always done well at Swale rock running the purple haze,purple chovey... @ 55' seems to be a killer for me out there :) but obviously it's not you're first rodeo ..:p

Man them springs were just lining up for the "wood shampoo" good stuff! I have always done well at Swale rock running the purple haze,purple chovey... @ 55' seems to be a killer for me out there :) but obviously it's not you're first rodeo ..:p

I have only fished Swale twice before and have always been in shallower water and fished shallower depths. We tried that but it didn't seem to work-if you look off the end of Swale in the channel that goes to Ukie there almost seems to be a bank that kind of averages 200-220-found if we went parallel to the shore with 180 feet of wire-it did the trick for us-may not next time. Other reason of course is I was testing LED's and I like fishing them deep and dark. Darker the better actually-sunshine isn't their friend!!!

Great overall report Spring Fever, thanx for sharing, I can see it all in my minds eye while sitting in my office

Incredible report Spring Fever - from the clear details about depth and types of lures (especially for those newbies, like me). Great to hear of some great fishing! There's plenty of fish around around Barkley sound this past week.

Sounds like SF had a great time on the water. I appreciate the report and your time testing the new stuff.

One of those new items SF tested tested is the Doubloon. It is in production right now and currently only The Harbour Chandler and Marine Traders has them. More will be available soon. Waiting on parts and the ability to only build 100 per day is holding things up.

Thank you again, Spring Fever, for conducting the tests for us and the great report.

Solid Reports outta Poett ,, fishing has really picked up this week
,Nanat , Kirby , Wall , Swale , Meares , Flemming all holding fish
not sure if there quite getting the numbers mentioned above , but , , , limits or close to seems to be of the norm, - 10 - 18lb average , a few over 20 ,
heard of one as large as 28lb from Turtle Head - S Bank
no fancy gear needed , anchovys and needlefish seem ta be all thats needed...white , splatter , purple haze , trex.....
one boat was actually already hitting em on 6 'in tomic plugs already lol...
heard of guys talking about coming over in July rather than August , both times are great , BUT , i found that July has been on fire the past 2 or 3 seasons , a little smaller perhaps , but ALOT ta play with..
get out there , good luck fellas..
off ta Lake Chelan for the weekend , back on the Coast next week ,
Jeff ,let us know how the Sox went taday : )

later

fd

You guys are killing me..................and looks like you're doing the same to some decent springs. Hope it just keeps getting better on thru September for you as well.

Tight lines......BV

Ya that makes two of us from down under. Ya know ducker, they have kings in Chelan as well as big butt trout. Too bad I don't have a place in Chelan I would trade for that weekend any day.

If you cut through Winthrop stop at the Lost River Winery and get a sample of some incredible juice. Ask for Liam, he would love to discuss Fishing. He will be at Poett's in August.

any chance of makin this stick mods ? 30 k hits ? worthy ? no ?

: )

cheers

fd

x 2. Maybe if Ucluelet is taken out of the title since it already has one. Though similar, the reports are typically different enough to justify sticky threads for either side of the sound. Heading to the Nook in two weeks, can't wait...keep the reports coming.

Great reports guys. Save some fish for us. We'll be landing at Mills in 10 days. Hope the fishing's still on. Can't wait!

Ya that makes two of us from down under. Ya know ducker, they have kings in Chelan as well as big butt trout. Too bad I don't have a place in Chelan I would trade for that weekend any day.

If you cut through Winthrop stop at the Lost River Winery and get a sample of some incredible juice. Ask for Liam, he would love to discuss Fishing. He will be at Poett's in August.

haha ,
wedding is at a winery today !!!, what a pretty lake guys, fairly large too ,i am scouting the area for a future fish trip , this lake is LOADED with so many different types of fish ,Kokanee LARGE kokanee seems ta be happening here now , such a clear greenish blue color water WOWWW ,amazing , i would live here in a heartbeat ,truly Gods Country , a must visit guys ,i know we have some killer lakes on our side of the line , but , this is crazy... the yanks have some sweet campgrounds here too , high end resorts , all very well maintained , highy advise a trip out this way , un real drive on the 2E comin in as well , the river scenery was amazing , anyways , Blue skies , 85 dg today , incredible car show here right now , the only fishin today will be For Ice flavor Coronas , Big wedding today , some of you have met my cousin Randy, lives in Seattle now... ...should be a fun day.. LOTTSA GREAT WINE HERE : )

see ya soon

fd

Heading down to Poet Nook this coming weekend, can anyone give me an update if Pill Point is producing any fish?

Just spent 5 days in the area. Limited out on fish up to 22 lb,s. 3 of us had a great week. Tuesday we kept 3 and released 11. Non stop action. That was at swale.

Spring Fever will be into the Barclay area fri, sat. sun. Listening on 6. Trying to correct our off-shore miss last week. Green and white podded Orca. Will report sun pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back