Bait vs Lure

otter

Early years herring strip was the only bait setup used.Winter spring set up strip holder with a wide roll'I say this because thats the way it was. has it changed to spoons, hootchies,anchovy,only if you experiment or prefer. Sooke,Saanich Inlet,Oak Bay,herring period.A properly presented herring strip will produce results.

B Gibb

Herring strip is my bait of choice...
no stomach to blow out, often usable after multiple hits.
Used strip this weekend, no fish around though.

Word is that Herring strip has been discontinued by Rhys Davis so we'll have to cut our own now.

Anyone else hear this? I used to get a killer deal on strip so it was worth it..now...to heck with it...I'm not going to cut......just fish firecracker herring when so inclined...

Sigh...

And then Pender Harbour,mid 70s when it was good, me one evening on the dock,poor lighting, few beers, cutting narrow strip,embarrased if anyone saw the results. Limited out on Coho next morning, single hook,4oz slip weight,40 pulls. No rhyme or reason as to why it worked but it did. Guess if the fish are out there and the bite is on you will succeed. Just some reminising.

B Gibb

That's correct that there will not be anymore Rhys Davis herring strip on the market. The ladies who cut it have retired and they have not found anyone willing to make it. There is still some floating around in various locations if you look for it. I've already gone and bought a supply for myself.

you know, this could be embarresing but what is a strip?
ive been fishing salmon for a year or so and never came across them.
and the holder? is it just like the anchovy head?
[:I]

Originally posted by baz

Yes baz, strip is a herring fillet, the holder is like an anchovy holder but flater to hold strip.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

quote:Originally posted by baz

Basically a filleted herring in a flat teaser head...the herring is sided, and then the sides are cut into a "strip". It's wide on one end and tapers to a point about 5-6 inches where a treble hook hangs free. The action is very similar to a nice snappy cut plug roll.

Don't mean to rock the boat,but I have had better luck with scented spoons than bait on the Victoria waterfront. I find that you "know" you are always fishing with a consistent action.

The stuff called "TYEE" strip was the one to use, and I always had way better luck with the red pack then the blue pack. I think each color is for each side of the herring. I used to use this strip all the time back in the day, however I didn't have the option back then of a cop car spoon either. I think the fact the the spoons do work and they are easier to fish then bait, makes them better in some ways. However, not too many fishermen only have one or the other in their tackle box, so it's a matter of finding what works for you where you are at the time. I know that If I was going into some place I didn't fish all the time I would try one of each and see if one is producing more than the other. If it is clear they prefer one over the other I will give them two of what they like to choose from.

Take only what you need.

i find with bait there is a bit of skill and experience involved much more than plastic or spoons.

My box only has spoons and a few hootchies! havent used bait in 4 years, and i still get my Springs and Coho's Its getting the colors right! I have a few inparticular i use for different conditions! and i seem to have great luck! There is somthing to be said for not being paranoid that u missed the slightest bite and your anchovie or herring is not rolling right! With a spoon the only problem is Shakers!(Grilse) i also enjoy the spoons for the shorter leaders! much easier to land your springs when it comes to putting them in the net!

-Steve

I have to say lure over bait. The guys that fish bait in my boat are usually too busy checking it or dinking around trying to get the spin just right. I find they spend entirely too much time out of the water instead of it.

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

Back