bait or bait-what is the difference??

D

Dirtdog67

Why is it, that on a system like the stamp or any other stream for that matter, is there an open section of flow to bait and the rest of the system is closed. Is there a diffence in mortality when a fish is gut hooked in the somass or the falls on the stamp?
That is what the regulation is trying to curb is it not? Don't get me wrong when a certain portion of flow is the holding water for soon to be spawners, ya it should definately be closed as a steelhead has three things on the go. One being, arriving at their destination, two holding in that chosen area, and three returning to the chuck, feeding the whole way.
This is the only system that I am aware of with such a f@#ked regulation.. Too all the guys that are fishing the bait in these areas, do not let the guy across the river from ya, see ya riggin up the juicy ole sack..
As for banning guy's from talking about fishing only because they need bait to catch chrome, is that not acting like the so called ranger on Lynn Creek.. C'mon the mention of bait by most of the guys with 200 posts or more are just pulling the chain.. Let it be-later-dirty

I think the idea on the Stamp was to protect resident trout not the steelhead. I don't think i can remember ever gut hooking a steelhead on bait myself. I think that is a red herring. :)Steelhead mortality on bait is no worse than any other type of gear. The nasty Vedder has no bait ban and many fish are caught multiple times. This was proven with the most recent tagging study although that was not the purpose of it.

I think the idea on the Stamp was to protect resident trout not the steelhead. I don't think i can remember ever gut hooking a steelhead on bait myself. I think that is a red herring. :)Steelhead mortality on bait is no worse than any other type of gear. The nasty Vedder has no bait ban and many fish are caught multiple times. This was proven with the most recent tagging study although that was not the purpose of it.

I hear ya maurice, but why is it stated in the regs. that an island wide bait ban was put into place to protect returning wild steelhead? Not too many of the island streams support residential rainbows. Many an angler believes that the rainbow trout that he or she is catching is res. with no knowledge of what a juvenile steelhead is. I just find it rediculous to believe that even the juvs. are not being affected by a partial opening.. More Beurocratic crap as far as I am concerned. Just my two cents-dirty

I hear ya maurice, but why is it stated in the regs. that an island wide bait ban was put into place to protect returning wild steelhead? Not too many of the island streams support residential rainbows. Many an angler believes that the rainbow trout that he or she is catching is res. with no knowledge of what a juvenile steelhead is. I just find it rediculous to believe that even the juvs. are not being affected by a partial opening.. More Beurocratic crap as far as I am concerned. Just my two cents-dirty

I don't agree with bait bans but I think the logic behind it is that fewer fish will be caught. People who don't do alot of fishing themselves sometimes have a great deal to do with the regs. Bait is only better than gear in some conditions. Most of the season I have better luck with jigs, pink worms, wool and so on. Bait bans affect the rookie angler the most because it is the simplest technique to master. Most people get their start fishing bait. I know I did. Bait bans are a barrier to new anglers. I don't think they save any fish.

I don't agree with bait bans but I think the logic behind it is that fewer fish will be caught. People who don't do alot of fishing themselves sometimes have a great deal to do with the regs. Bait is only better than gear in some conditions. Most of the season I have better luck with jigs, pink worms, wool and so on. Bait bans affect the rookie angler the most because it is the simplest technique to master. Most people get their start fishing bait. I know I did. Bait bans are a barrier to new anglers. I don't think they save any fish.

Back