Bad News on Thetis Lake

also carp and cats will grow very slow as summer water temps do not rise enough for them to pack on and real weight

catch a 20lb carp and you may start to C&R they will live for close to 30-50 yrs
back in the UK its the most advance fishing out there
and carp will eat most things just by there trails and error sucking and blowing

but here is just a list of what i have caught the buggers on over close to 30 yrs fishing for them
bread flake, crust, potatoes, sweet corn, chick peas, maple peas, maize, peanuts,tiger nuts Brazil nuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pepperoni, spam, kitty catfood, dog food, liver pate, cheese paste, marshmallows, dog cat biscuits, trout pellets salmon halibut pellets, hemp seed , bird food, protein baits, peanut butter paste, and just about anything that we consume has prob been used for bait for carp

a few that don't work is carrots and green peas
but thats enough to show what they can be caught on.
oh and carp put up a pretty good scrap once they get in double figures.

I have seen some monster carp in elk and beaver lake, its pretty cool when bass fishing during the summer, and 10-20 BIG fish swim underneath your boat, I would not say that the carp are small in elk/beaver.

kunni

Have no experience with the carp athought I have seen them a couple of times in Elk lake but I have dealt with the Catfish. Use to, many years ago(is 30 considered many) fish Somenos lake for trout. Probably out there twice a week in fall and spring as well 5 times a week in summer. Catching Catfish was easy and profitable enough to pay for my trout supplies. Use to sell them to Mr Wasson at Berkies corner. Not so built up with soccer fields and houses back then. Worm on bottom anywhere along the lilly pads but especially near the tressel. Average 12 to 14" but caught a couple up to 18", minimal fight till they hit the surface and then freak out.

Took my kids there this summer just to look and was shocked at the number and size of the Bullfrog tadpoles! Those were never there and I am sure they eat alot of trout as well as everything else. Somenos does have good water flow both in and out of the lake and down to the Cowichan river. Have made it from Somenos lake to Cowichan bay in a 12ft canoe, just for something to do. Dumb kid!

James

wow, those are larger cats than I expected, I have seen a few dead ones washed up on shore, but they were like 5inches long.

kunni

Bullhead cats frequently hit those sizes further south, but not as often here

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticanimals/commoncarp/index.html

Impacts:
Common carp are one of the most damaging aquatic invasive species due to its wide distribution and severe impacts in shallow lakes and wetlands
Their feeding disrupts shallowly rooted plants muddying the water
They release phosphorus that increases algae abundance
Carp induced declines in water quality causes declines of aquatic plants needed by waterfowl and fish

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticanimals/commoncarp/index.html

Impacts:
Common carp are one of the most damaging aquatic invasive species due to its wide distribution and severe impacts in shallow lakes and wetlands
Their feeding disrupts shallowly rooted plants muddying the water
They release phosphorus that increases algae abundance
Carp induced declines in water quality causes declines of aquatic plants needed by waterfowl and fish

And not many people fish them :eek:

31127695.jpg

It's 10:48.... Bed time was 18 minutes ago.. :D

I will probably be going to thetis this weekend for trout using chronis. I will report back, but its only monday, so I will only get out in like 6 days.

kunni

Peter%20Griffin%20freakin%20sweet.jpg

I'm not mocking the youngin's, just having fun with them ;). I like them here too

Thats nice to hear since we are the future of fishing ;) But for the reccord... I don't really like family guy :D

Back