Backyard mechanic

brands51

Hey guys, I've got a 98 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke that is due for a service. Currently is having a coughing problem, kicking up higher and lower rpms while trolling. Pretty sure the coughing problem is to do with the carb. I am looking for a reputable and reliable backyard mechanic to fix these problems, as I'm tired of taking it to S&G and paying the premiums. Have no problem paying a fair price for quality work. If you can recommend anyone pleased do let me know. Located in Victoria.

Try run about marine repair,
He can be a bit backed up, but will
Even give you tips over the phone to try and solve the problem yourself, if your handy!!!

Seafoam + new spark plug + fuel filter.

Try these first. Cheap and easy to do yourself. The motor you have is bomb proof. Work small to big. Tons of youtube vids to follow along on.

I just sold my 30 Mariner (Yamaha) 2 stroke. I am NOT HANDY, and was able to get it running smooth with minimal effort prior to selling for top dollar.

X 2 on Marc Shubrook from Runabout Marine - does good work for reasonable price.
Runabout marine. Great guy honest work
Thanks guys, I called him and he gave me some great info but it seems like he is backed way up.
Seafoam + new spark plug + fuel filter.

Try these first. Cheap and easy to do yourself. The motor you have is bomb proof. Work small to big. Tons of youtube vids to follow along on.

I just sold my 30 Mariner (Yamaha) 2 stroke. I am NOT HANDY, and was able to get it running smooth with minimal effort prior to selling for top dollar.
I'll be trying these myself for sure, thanks! They are great engines

These carbs are easy to rebuild too. Get a carb kit ordered up, take it apart, clean EVERYTHING with carb cleaner, blow it all out with compressed air, then reassemble. Take pics or a video of how you take it apart. Reverse it for assembly. It makes a huge difference. I think most carb engines need a kit rebuilt every so often - say every 500 hours or so? maybe less or more depending on how you store your motor (i.e. fuel in the carb or not) and how often you use it.

These carbs are easy to rebuild too. Get a carb kit ordered up, take it apart, clean EVERYTHING with carb cleaner, blow it all out with compressed air, then reassemble. Take pics or a video of how you take it apart. Reverse it for assembly. It makes a huge difference. I think most carb engines need a kit rebuilt every so often - say every 500 hours or so? maybe less or more depending on how you store your motor (i.e. fuel in the carb or not) and how often you use it.
Today I cleaned my fuel filters and ran it while spraying engine clean through the carb, as recommended by a mechanic. Defiantly runs better but not perfect. I beat this engine into the dirt and it keeps on coming... I owe it some love to I'll be pulling the carb apart and cleaning it as you mentioned and doing some other basic things such as the leg oil. Thanks for the tips man!

Today I cleaned my fuel filters and ran it while spraying engine clean through the carb, as recommended by a mechanic. Defiantly runs better but not perfect. I beat this engine into the dirt and it keeps on coming... I owe it some love to I'll be pulling the carb apart and cleaning it as you mentioned and doing some other basic things such as the leg oil. Thanks for the tips man!
If you need a hand let me know.

Back